I'm planning to lay CAT5e cables in the house, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Aug 7, 2010.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

[​IMG]

Continuing the discussion here

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:eh: WiFi have been reliable for me, I think its just your router overheating.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Weak signal as well, if I were to invest in a whole bunch of N hardwares, might as well I lay wires in the entire house lol

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I laid Cat6 in my house. The plates need to be cat6 as well (and the plugs too). Different ratings if I recall (frequency and more stringent noise and crosstalk specs). I know that Cat5e can handle gigabit but cat6 is spec'd for it (which is why you need to use the cat6 plug and sockets).

All I did was have Cat6 8 port switch connected to my router. I needed Gigabit between PC to PC (plus the modem port wasn't gigabit anyways) due to having a Home Server.

Very cost effective too. :)

When I set up my network, I referred to one of our networking gurus (hyper_raider) (who has server experience for a University Campus).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

and if you can, cheat and get the plugs that has a plastic insert that will guide the wires into the plug for crimping... It'll make life a LOT easier. :)

(assuming of course that you will be doing full DIY like me).

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you want an easier solution, you can consider using Aztech Homeplug.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Wow, how does that work

That means I can have CAT5 -> CAT6 --> CAT5 from router to PC?

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I considered it before but for few reasons

1) With up to 6 ethernet devices, do I need 7 (6+1) or 6 pairs (12) homeplugs? Either way it's going to be too expensive.

2) Homeplugs do not really work 'natively', need software right? What about LAN printers

3) Homeplugs doesn't seem to be reliable, like how it gets hot after long usage.

Btw, what about EMI interference concerns?

9. zy

I think he meant.

[Gigabit switch ] -cat5 - [router]
    | | | | |
    cat 6
    | | | | |
    PC PC PC PC PC

1 person likes this.
  10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yup zy nailed it. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Adding in the modem just to make it complete. :D

[Gigabit switch ] -cat5 - [router] -cat5- [modem]
    | | | | |
    cat 6
    | | | | |
    PC PC PC PC PC

This is the one I'm using:
    IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - CAT 6 Modular Plugs
    http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/brochures/cat_6_mod_plug_brochure.pdf

Makes those stupid wires stay in line. Most of the time when I have it laid out in the correct sequence, and I insert it in the plug, the wires shift around sometimes... :wall:

These make it a lot less painless. :)

Make sure to get some of the boot covers too (that protect the prong of the CAT 6 plug).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  11. Chai

Is there a real need for CAT6 cables? Even Cat5e is capable of handling 1000Mbps full duplex.

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, what about this,

Laying CAT6 around the house till the wall plate, then plug in CAT5 from the wallplate to the PC, just curious. Would it work?

On the other hand, using CAT6 wires on normal CAT5 routers, would it work?

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, if the price is the same, then why not otherwise?

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Love the wireless connectivity of WiFi, but even I have to concede that the WiFi routers do quit quite often.

I'm using a 3Com WiFi router and it hangs on a regular basis, and that's with only 4-5 devices on the network! :wall: :wall:

15. zy

Its because malaysia is too hot and wireless routers tend to overheat :whistle: It needs proper ventilation, blow a small fan over it :mrgreen:

My router rarely hangs. I can run it for few weeks without problems. 2 PC. 2 Laptops. 1 WiFi Printer.

Oh, and one thing. bydefault a linksys router has only 512 connections and that is just barely enough for 2 people here. :eh:

Used DD-WRT and defined 2048 connections :dance:

16. Chai

Linksys routers are one of the best IMO. Never had problems with it.

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

My occasionally 'resets', and the newer linksys models, such as the newer version of WRT54G have lesser RAM if i'm not mistaken.

Using a 3Com WiFi router here as well

Well, I bought one few years back just to realize that DDWRT doesn't support it (the newer WRT54G, I know it's now supported), but nvm I just plugged it in and used it, the router restarted itself few times within a day. Got fedup and went back to Lowyat the very same day and exchanged for a 3COM router which is still working till today except for the occasional router restart and wifi connection drop.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Cat 6 all around for Gigabit. Cat 6 is backwards compatible with 100base ports on routers/switches etc but you'll still be running 100.

If you want gigabit, everything (all cables and ports - PCs, router/switch) needs to be gigabit 1000base. It's only as fast/strong as the weakest link in the whole setup. :mrgreen:

And unless if you have a ton of Cat5e cables laying around the house, just go and get Cat6 cables (especially since you want to lay the cables down).

19. zy

Get the GL, if not the GS.
    My GS is v7. 16MB RAM, 2MB flash memory.

I think the new Netgear router's are not bad? or maybe the gaming routers as well? :think:

20. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Avoid running catx and power lines closely spaced & paralell for extended distances. Dosen't hurt if they cross orthogonally.