Incompatible HDD Installing Vista OS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pro-Pain, May 17, 2008.

1. Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain Newbie

Yo-ho. I just made my first computer, and it is the BEST computer on the base....but it dun' work. I start it up and begin installing vista(after switching around the bios setting to set up a raid) and get to the partitioning part and it says both the raid0 volume and the non-raid hdd i have are incompatible. I've reset the settings, switched them around, undone the raid, redone the raid, dis/reconnected each driver and nothing changes. Any clue?

System: gigabyte x48 MB. 2x2 gb OCZ Flex II. E8400 wolfdale CPU. 2x raptor 150gb SATA hdd 1x seagate 320 gb ata hdd. 2x 9600gt.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, first off, to set up RAID, you should use two or more drives of the same capacity. Best if you use the same drives.

If you undo RAID, you will need to repartition the hard drives. If the partition was already done on those drives, then you need to delete the partition and rebuild it before you can install Windows Vista on either one of them.

3. Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain Newbie

I have 3 hard drives. 2 western digital sata 150gb, and one seagate ultra ata. This is a new build, so there's nothing on any of the 3 hard drives.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, so I guess you are using the two WD 150GB drives as RAID, right?

Did you create the RAID array in the BIOS? Which RAID array did you select?

If you no longer want to continue with the RAID setup, then you need to disable RAID in the BIOS and delete the created partitions.

5. Pro-Pain

Pro-Pain Newbie

as i mentioned earlier, one of the drives is a seagate, and it says every drive is incompatable, so the raid setup isn't a factor. i've tried with the 2 raided and non-raided. i created the raid and deleted the raid in the bios.

Now it's saying that a cd/dvd device driver is missing even before it can say it can't partition the drives. I've spent 3 hours today seeing what i can do with the drives, and it's strange. I hooked up my old dell drive to it and it bluescreens as it loads windows xp. It works in safe mode, but it won't show the dvd drive in disk management. I tried with another dvd drive and it's the same. The hdds all show up and are able to be partitioned on my old computer. I only have a vista OS cd, and it says my system is unable to install it. (it's 7 years old, i don't blame it.)

I'm a little frustrated now...I'm tired of holding the cpu heatsink down (the pins won't lock in because it's too tight. It's not me, it's the hardware on that one) for a computer that won't cooperate with me.