IPODs Do you think they're overrated?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by ToyotaFreak, Oct 1, 2005.

?

Do you think Apple's IPOD is overrated?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Do you think IPODs are overrated?

In my opinion, IPODs have been worshipped by a lot of people but are also overrated. People have been praising it for its coolness, storage capacity & status.

I mean come on, my friends are pushing me to get an IPOD when I can get other better alternatives like the Sony Network Walkman NW-HD5, Olympus m-robe MR-100 or MR-500i, Creative Zen Neeon or Vision & etc. over the IPODs. (and probably also due to the fact that I hate the candy/ toy-like Macs & their iTunes services.*)

*No offence to t3h c00l Mac ownerz.

2. aka fatdog6

aka fatdog6 Newbie

I have a sandisk 512mb player that works great for me and i dont have to use Itunes or any such propritory stuff

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hardware wise, of cuz it is.

it's just a mp3 player, if u get what I mean.

just a processing chip to run a pre-set algorithm. if u say it sounds so much better than other, you are just lying to urself. because it's the same algorithm and you cant expect it to have like Cirrus Logic DAC or something..

however, I must admit that it looks very cool. fashionable

4. embro

embro Newbie

Since the releases of mp3 players i had several 64mb, 128, 256, bought a damaged ipod 20gb, sent it for repair, got it back a month later(yea it suck) but then sold it cuz i needed money, and lately i bought sandisk 1GB with SD card support and i already sold it...

None of these filled my needs as i want good build quality, FM radio, and good battery life, my friend own creative 5gb, i must say i have nothing to say about it exept maybe the buttons that are a bit hard to find if you dont look at the unit (you probably get use to tho). So what now? im getting back an ipod (not the nano).

They ARE overratted, but they are still the best.. for my needs of course. Some people say accessories are pricy but if you can wait, look on ebay or some other online store, they almost give it.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

blah .. ipod ipod .. blah :p ..

6. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

overrated for sure, and also over priced, but i must say the ipod does look very nice, and with its popularity, its very hard for anyone to resist.

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

depends on what you are buying.

iPod is not a MP3 player. It's a fashion statement with a bonus mp3 player installed. if you get my drift.

So if you want an MP3 player, look elsewhere. But if you want to look cool, then get the iPod.

8. Phut

Phut Newbie

I think its overrated. Theres people out on the street who have like a shrine (cradle) at home who worship their iPods every day. Personally I think that its not as good of a product that they seem to make it out to be.

IMO the Olympus m:robe MR100 is a better fashion statement than the Ipod ever was. I was turned off when the reviews informed me that you needed to use software to put stuff onto the MR100's hard drive.

However, only recently I found out that you needed software to put music onto the ipod as well, making them both as unattractive functionality wise as each other.

IMO with the massive battery life and the fact that you don't need to use special software to put your music onto the player Sony's Net-Walkman is acctually by far a winner when it comes to practicality. The iPod is just a fashion accessory.

9. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

i thought sony all need sonicstage to transfer music? :think: and if it werent for slow usb 1.1 on the E507 network walkman, i would have bought it instead of my current player. Dont know what sony is thinking manufacturing a totally new mp3 player unit but with an midevil usb 1.1 attached :snooty:

10. Phut

Phut Newbie

^^ I remember reading a review about the net walkman and they were complaining about the fact that there wasn't some software like Itunes to transfer music to the walkman.

You might be thinking of the netMD which only played in the propeitary ATRAC3 format, and wouldn't allow you to retrieve anything from the discs. All music needed to be converted to ATRAC3 before being placed onto the NetMD.

Frankly I would rather have an music player that didn't rely on some special software to transfer music to. I wasn't entirely happy of the reviews judgement about not having transfer software to suit the device being a con to the device's desirability.

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm using NetMD now :p haha

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm using K750, and I thought installing simple drivers was bad enough...

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

*Coughs*

:) I'm a proud owner of a Powerbook :) no offence taken, but lemme set the record straight here a little..

To be honest, Macs are more than just good looking machine or a toy. I've never had a better, and more user friendly system, never had a more user friendly trackpad/touchpad (am hooked to the two finger scrolling a la scroll wheel on a conventional mouse - yeah I can do the same on my trackpad, horizontal and vertical scrolling!)

And since I do alot of work in the Unix environment, the Mac OS X allows me to have all the Unix tools I need to. Heck, the screenshots you see in the Linux noob tutorials? They were done in the terminal in my Powerbook... :)

Oh, I can whack someone with my powerbook and it'll still work :)

And as for the nano? In a different, recent thread, I posted a link to an article stress-testing the nano. It got thrown, tossed, stomped on, and even had a car run over it, and it was still working. Tough little thing. How many other mp3 players can withstand that? :)

*No offence here, just stating my point, just as you stated yours..

14. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

Whoa no kidding, for real? :shock:

Well that addresses some of my concerns for the nano! [like the possibility it might snap in my pocket :shifty: :lol: ] :thumb:

How in the world can something that thin be so strong? :eh: :think:

15. Phut

Phut Newbie

By being a solid state player.

If the screen were an OLED display it would be literally indestructable.

16. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

And what did the player look like afterwards, a fashion statement ran over with a car is no longer a fashion statement due to all the scratches and broken display :mrgreen: . Or am I wrong???

17. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

True :) Cracked display, but it still worked :). And so will the rest of the generic mp3 players out there too, but few can withstand that stress.

18. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

indestructable but too easily scratchable :snooty: apple needs to employ better and less scratchable surface on both the front plastic and the rare metal casing.

19. Plasma_Man

Plasma_Man Newbie

I read somewhere it costs some 90USD to produce this thingy and what costs most is Samsungs memory inside of it. There are reports of people cracking the display and/or scratching it just by having the player in the pocket. Seems like someone has been saving some cash by using cheaper plastics for the display :shhh:

20. Phut

Phut Newbie

Diamond surfacing?

:wicked: