Is Astro being racist, or is this just "smart marketing"?

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I just found out something shocking when I called Astro up to ask about their latest promotion. I found out that the promotion is exclusively for Chinese customers.

So I asked, "Isn't this a bit racist? What about the Malays, the Indians and the other races?"

He replied, "Oh, the Malays and Indians have their own promotions!"

Well, that's reassuring, but I was curious, so I asked him to tell me what those promotions were. I wanted to compare and see why Astro had to come up with different promotions for different races. Take a look :

So much for 1Malaysia, eh? This is like 1Malaysia, 3Astros!

Before you think of trying on a Chinese accent, do note that to enjoy the Chinese promotion, your MyKad needs to list your race as Chinese. Hint - get your Chinese friends to register on your behalf.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Wow, this is really f-up.

LOL.. Proof of 1Malaysia doesn't exist.

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

astro, maxis, airasia..

Semua cronies..

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That's really strange!

You know, I liked Astro 13 years back, but then when they split their view packages into smaller ones, and more expensive, I never subscribed to them anymore. :whistle: :faint:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There are some who have said that this is nothing more than a special offer for the coming Chinese New Year celebrations.

Well, I heard about this offer back in December, 2012, so I doubt it. And even if it is, why did they have to cut down the Indian and Malay promotions? More importantly, why prevent other races from subscribing to the Chinese package? Why not offer it to EVERYONE?

You guys might also like to know that around the same time, Astro also put up this offer on Groupon :

As you can see, they have "race-specific" offers, but they are generally quite similar. And more importantly, they do NOT restrict any race from subscribing to any offers.