Is there any software for protecting files?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by SkylineRemix, Aug 9, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

I would like to ask if there's any software that can help me to protect my files? for privacy purpose...
    I mean like for those who knows the password only able to access the files (eg. pictures... documents).

This is because I'm trying to cut down the user profiles in my comp (which is 5 of them actually)... Do tell me if any of you guys don't understand what I'm talking about... Thx

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

ehh don`t really understand :p

do not make the file shared?

or u can use any compression application like winrar to compress it with password

3. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

okay...

Erm... let me see... I'll tell out my situation and see what you guys can recommend me...

My comp has 5 profiles. 3 admins (A,B and C) and 2 limited accounts (E and F). I want to merge the 3 admin profile into 1 profile and the 2 "guest" account into 1 profile. But then in the admin profile, A has some files that doesn't want B and C to be able to access. Same goes as B who does not want his files to be viewed by A and C.

Right now, I'm looking for a password protect software that all admin (A,B and C) can use. All they need to do is to set their own password on their file and only they can access it.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Complicated. Seriously, is there really a need to protect files so much?

Why not just buy thumbdrives and store personal files there? Or do you also want to password protect software?

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Yup... I'm talking things like anime videos... music folders... pictures...

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I used to use Secret Folders back in uni days, but that was years ago. Do look it up and see. I wonder if it's still alive though. But I don't remember the software allows multiple profiles. :think:

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well you can make folders private with XP itself by encrypting them and allowing only certain users to access those folders. but if anything goes wrong it's one hell of a headache to recover everything...and that's also if you remember to export the user profiles.

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Apparently, that's what happen to my the other computer... now cannot even back-up my files...

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

So you better think twice about doing so. I once used another security software that creates encrypted virtual drives (forgot what it's called). Made the mistake of forgetting the password. Now my encrypted data is gone.... forever. :wall:

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

You probably could use pgp to encrypt your file