Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Mc A, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

You won't go wrong with either Macs or PC, it's up to personal preference. For my case I'm never comfortable with Macs, and I still find Macs overpriced. And since I do not just do graphic design, there are also a lot of other softwares I use is PC only and games for that matter. But that's me. :thumb:

2. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Maybe for you, but well, this guy's already considering a Sony, whose prices are on par/more or less equal to Mac prices :)

3. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

If im not mistaken, there's a switch to switch either we use the internal memory or external memory.

yeeap, besides both photoshop n Illustrator, I'll be using In Design, Premier and so on...

Yeah man...same here, Im not really get used to Macs. More over, I never touch a Mac before. :oops:

Yeah, Im actually intrested in this model and Im also looking forward to use Vista. :) So im also looking for a Vista capable laptops. :D

Anyway, If this lappy is worth to buy and capable for me to run those programs and also some games, I think i'll take this, since the Sony are having Christmas Sale... :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  4. Falcone

Well since the softwares u r using can be run on both PC and Macs I dun see a problem for u choosing Viao. Personally I find both Sony and Macs overprice their goods, but they do come in style. There is one thing you should take into considerations, the environment you'll be in. If most of your classmates using windows based workstation then you should be using windows based, less tedious when swapping files or networking. I believe all notebooks you buy now are eligible for free upgrade to Vista.

I would personally go for Dell or IBM where you can get more bang for bug. Yeah they are ugly when compared to Sony, but with the same value I can push my specs to the max. Trust me for graphic design you need every single ounce of memory and processing power u can get (If you think Premier is bad just wait until u get into After Effects). Just my 2 cents.:faint: :faint: :faint:

5. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Um, Falcone.. I don't see how this is a problem. I've been a Mac and Linux user for the past 5 years and I never had any problems integrating into the Windows environment or sharing/swapping any files, or networking with them Windows. In fact, networking computers or file sharing didn't require any tedious workarounds or setup either. I just "plug and play" - yes, even on Linux.

So, nope, environment is not an issue where networking/filesharing is concerned.

6. Falcone

Well it's ur call. Sony is a good buy if you are willing to pay. My group MD used to have a power book, he just put in a purchase for a VIAO :faint: :faint: :faint:, I dunno which model since it's handled by my coworker. Good luck with your toy, either way u wont go wrong.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PS: Oh btw the I have been supporting windows based system and networks for years, hundreds of workstations. And I have never seen a BSOD since Windows 2000 other than when it's caused by hardware failure or user stupidity. Just want you to know that Windows is just as good as Macs in running graphical applications. Like I said either way u wont go wrong.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  7. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

erm...
    so do u guys think this Viao is worth to buy ??

8. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, personally for that price, I've got a problem with the screen size (13.3 only) and the 80gb disk.

Take into consideration your needs as well, graphics and video means huge disk usage, so if u can get a bigger disk, then all the better.

Hence my suggestion on the Macbook Pro model, which costs more, but is better value for money.

PS. there's a slight difference here between normal graphics and 3D stuff. There's a reason why most places tend to use Macs for video

9. Falcone

Well it's a Sony (exploding battery included hehe), you are buying the brand and style. 13.3" is small hence I use a desktop for design and a notebook for others stuff but if u want portability you can learn to live with it or get an external monitor. For sound unless you are doing 5.1 surround all u need is a good pair of headphones. 80GB is small but u can always carry portable ones (I have 2), I also agree Chai and Dashken, you should focus on RAM, Processor and HDD. Here I give you an example here , I have never seen an actual M65 before but just take a look at the specs, for almost the same price u get 2" longer :wicked: :wicked:, better processor, 2GB RAM, 'NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 350M 512MB TurboCache1 OpenGL workstation graphics' (good for 3D apps I guess), 3 years warranty (This is important! make sure what ever notebook u are buying has at least 3 years warranty you won't regret this) and that is one of Dell's highest end models. Of course it is heavier and you need to add another RM100 for a DVD burner. Think about it.

I forgot about one thing, when u said 3D what are u running? 3D Studio or Maya? Those softwares are very very very resource hungry, heck I have never seen anyone running it on a notebook before :faint: :faint: :faint:

10. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I have.

My very good friend is running both Maya, 3DS Max and another 3D rendering program for some game, forgot what's it called, on her MacBook Pro. On Mac and on Windows on the MBP.

And yes I've also ran Maya on my old pc notebook once, too. Which is worse than every worse notebook you guys ever have. So why not?

11. fyire

fyire Newbie

All in all, before making the decision on which to get, what you can do now is probly to find out more, to help you decide which one is better.

You can probly make a visit (physical) to Macasia (www.macasia.com.my), tell them that you're interested in a notebook for graphics + video and audio, and they'll give u a demo.

Then do the same for one of the Sony retail outlets.

Only then you will be able to determine which one suits your need more, and will also help you address the question on what is fact and myth.

12. Falcone

I'm sure it's possible, I'm just stating that it's resource hungry and all the people I knew in the advertising industry runs it on a workstation (on both Macs and PCs and some on a dual processor). :faint: :faint: :faint:

Yup I agree, go see it for yourself, check the specs. Then decide dun rush.

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Well if you want to be mobile you can't exactly cart around a desktop can you? Well unless it's an iMac. And especially students who may have to move around doing groupwork, shuttling from home to college while wanting to do some work on the run.

14. Falcone

Like I said I'm just stating that's resource hungry, and keep that in mind when purchasing a notebook Mac or no Mac. That's all. Remember it doesn't need to be cheap, but bang for bug, value for money, that's my motto when purchasing something. Just like to share.

15. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Also, when you visit the stores for a test drive, do not just check out the specs. Test out the machine itself.

Also, if you want to, MacAsia allows you to try the machine, create a video, create some audio and all, even lets you plug in your own equipment to test compatiblity etc. Not sure if the Sony store would allow you to do this though.

If you just go there to check out specs, and not have a demo, you're basically wasting your time, because you can always check out specs online. And when testing out the machine, test it in the manner of "how this can help me with my studies" and not "nice specs.."

16. Falcone

Agree :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Actually you can also ask your friends and classmate with notebooks, ask them to tag along too.

17. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I think you completely missed my point. If you want a notebook, you should already be aware that you need to make some compromises somewhere, Mac or not Mac. I made the iMac statement because it's an all-in-one desktop and easy to carry around. So if you want mobility + processing power enough to do stuff, carry around a desktop then.

Hardcore work should never be done on a machine that's incapable of doing it on the long term.

By the way, bang for bug? Thought it was supposed to be bang for buck? Bug's an insect/flaw. Buck is money. :)

18. Falcone

Like I said It's resource hungry, take note when purchasing notebook Macs or no Macs make sure you have plenty of resources, heck we are not even sure with he/she is running 3D max ir Maya. Opps my mistake for Bug (I like shorthand got used to it), but you get the picture.

19. Mc A

Mc A Newbie

I will be travelling wit my laptop to coll by bus n KTM.
    So it's kinda heavy if I take "big" laptops. Thats y im looking for a smaller type of laptop. :)

Is it ok if I go according to RAM,Processor and HDD ?
    I found it slightly the same in the processor...
    And yeah, I will try out the laptop again. :D
    Thanks for telling to test it. The 1st time I didnt really test it.
    I just click here n there.. :p

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha im not blaming adobe, and honestly i dun care whats the reason. the fact remains that CS2 is SLOW on mac. so slow that none of our designers wanted to touch these C2D mac machines. most would just copy the files over to their old imac..

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.