Laptop Recomendation

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Mc A, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

If weigh is an issue then you'll have to sacrifice screen size and processing power, the Sony is small an light that I have to admit. Go and test, see if you are comfortable in doing your work in that screen size, I not a fan of scrolling around while photoshoping my pictures, but as long as you are fine it then it's ok. And remember to ask for the warranty, make it 3 years if possible, you really dun want a faulty LCD screen 2 years down the road.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

it's a pain to carry around big laptop. i have always loved small n light weighted notebook. i'm using dell inspiron 700m now, bought it 1.5 years ago. The sony has a 13.3" wide screen, and mine is only 12.1", actually it's not too painful to face small screen all day, but u just have to get used to it. in fact im not used to the big monitor and keyboard anymore.

The sony weighs around 1.85kg.i guess it's not too heavy if you don't load your notebook bag with all kinds of stuff. My notebook is abt 1.7kg, i didn't buy the dell notebook bag, i got my own bag elsewhere, lighter than those dell bags. but my bag is always heavy becoz i usually stuff it with all the necessary stuff like cables, power adapter, mouse, cooling pad and all kinds of stuff.

Better test it at sony store before u buy :D

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

sony SZ38 is 1.6~1.7 kg because it has thinner LCD & carbon fiber comapred to SZ34

Dell 700m doesnt have standard size keyboard compared to Sony SZ or Dell M1210

Dell M1210 is close to 2kg :p it has standard size keyboard but 12.1" LCD

12.1" is okay for standard use. but when it comes to photoshop or something like that you will feel that its small :p

4. fyire

fyire Newbie

Speaking of testing, don't just test the notebook itself, but test according to your needs as well. For something along that price range, its reasonable to expect better pre-sales service, so ask them to allow you to test out some 3D stuff, and simple video editing on the notebooks too, as that is what you will be using the machine for primarily.

5. strawroot

hahaha i use PS2 almost everyday. argh i need ram, ram ram, i find it really painful to run 3 macromedia sw together >> PS, dreamweaver and fireworks. But anyway, since im used to working on small screen, so.. not much prob with it. If and only if i can afford something like 24" monitor :cool: then i would say otherwise. hehe

6. strawroot

well, i agree, most importantly, u have to find out what you really need when you buy something, and wat is your main concern. The weight of notebook will always be my main concern i guess. I had a 2.5kg (without batt) of compaq notebook before i bought this dell. and it was really heavy to travel around it when i was in bus or lrt. I bought this dell online, but since it's specs is quite general, and met my needs then. so i did not regret buying it.

Anyway, this is only from my exp with notebooks

7. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I'd more of find out what I really need - not in spec requirements but what my college/work needs are, what sort of software that I need to run over the duration of my study/work, etc, then customize the spec to meet that software needs.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea, customize to your needs :)

like both my dad & sis doesnt need a powerful laptop & they travel alot. they opt for the dell 700m/710m with 12.1".

i took this dell M1210 because i want something light & powerful.
    it was either dell M1210 or SZ34 but Sony SZ are expensive & not customizable :p (esp. in malaysia)

9. strawroot

of coz, if i were to recustomize, i would maximize everything, but cost is always a factor, unless u do not care about the price at all. so, i had to compromise a little to get most things that i wanted from my budget

10. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Uh, strawroot. Customizing the computer to meet your college/work software needs does NOT mean maxing out all the specs..

11. strawroot

well, this is only wat i tot. who doesn't want faster processor, bigger hdd space and more RAM?

12. fyire

fyire Newbie

Well, those with a better grip on reality, who takes both needs and budget into consideration.

13. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Well it all depends on personal preference, I for one would maximise performance over style and portability. Because I know what I want for my kind of work, and I want big screen. To put it bluntly I put performance as priority, I have been using adobe and macromedia (ok formerly) products for years and I can tell you that the difference between 1Gb and 2Gb RAM is big. And every ounce of processing power means something, just a matter if you are willing to pay for it or not. For me based on my budget I would max out all my specs and portability comes as secondary and style is the last thing I care and I especially hate those glossy screen, I dun need to see my face everytime I edit a picture.

You can never get enuf processor or space that the general rule or else why are we keep on upgrading.

But for his case is size and weight matters, then he has to balance it out on the budget he has based on his preference. Simple as that. And get a backpack type of notebook bag like Targus, it helps.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly, it depends on which is your top priority: mobility? performance? or style?

15. fyire

fyire Newbie

Let's see, you've put in the following points:
    - emphasis on performance
    - glossy screen???
    - differences between 1gb ram and 2gb ram

What's that got to do with the point that I was making anyways, which is customization based on needs and budget.

The big misconception here is that price, performance and style are all mutually exclusive, of which they are not. It is possible to get the right mix of all three, just need to a bit of time into it.

Why are you emphasizing so much on your personal preferences anyways? Its not as if the entire world needs to know your personal vices right?

16. fyire

fyire Newbie

yupyup, exactly what I'm saying, be more rooted in reality, and customized based upon needs and budget :)

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

What's wrong with him stating his personal preferences? Aren't you doing the same thing? i.e. Mac

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Wrong. That is not what you were saying, since you said what Falcone stated has nothing to do with your point. :haha:

Anyway, back to topic.

19. fyire

fyire Newbie

Nup, I had stated the Mac as an alternate possibility to look into, bearing in mind that the bulk of the video industry makes use of that :) As I am not in the video industry, that is not my personal preference, but merely stating a fact in the industry :)

Notice how I never did mention once at all on why I personally prefer the Mac? :)

20. fyire

fyire Newbie

really ar? izzziiittt? hehe

Hmm.. what's the diff between the 2 statements anyways?

"Exactly, it depends on which is your top priority: mobility? performance? or style?"

and

"be more rooted in reality, and customized based upon needs and budget"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.