LCD Recommendations

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Dashken, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's why you need to get Full HD TV for that. :thumb:

2. bslee

bslee Newbie

I'm hoping to buy indeally 20"WS Samsung model but there seems to be a problem now. I'm facing a dilemma now as currently no stock at most shops, and its priced somewhat RM865'ish..great price difference compared to its LG competitor. The LG pulak!..its outlook is somewhat dated and unappealing. Samsung edges them out in design everytime. Sometimes I wonder what the heck LG is doing when Samsung surges ahead everytime. Like comparing Sony against a Panasonic.
    I don't fancy the 19" because of height and I'm insisting a 20" is just nice for me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  3. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I must be one of the few people that dislikes the glossy casing of Samsung monitors :angel:

4. bslee

bslee Newbie

For monitors or even TV's, glossy looks cool!..NOT everything else consumer electronics though.
    The 20" LG model is somewhat shitty in comparison. To me they fouled up somehow...this model especially..
    Jeezz... I'm hoping for the price drop, a little more..really tight budget lah! :wall:

5. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yah, LG not too kewl. I has a 20.1" one and it does this weird problem that it will leave a small trail of the mouse:

[​IMG]
    X-bit labs - 22" Monitors Roundup: Part 1 (page 9)

But what I don't like is how the panel around the screen of the Samsung's glossy monitors are so large. Glossy be kewl for TVs, but not for 'puters. I still likes matte finish. *kisses his Dell E207WFP* :mrgreen:

Which models were you lookin' at?

6. bslee

bslee Newbie

LG L204WT and Samsung 206BW. These 2 are on my shortlist.
    LG have already got a newer "glossy type panel" for their 22" and I think theur 20" is either disappearing next or will be upgraded. The LG 20" model was seen early last year.
    Samsung 20" are scarce right now. One shop fler said stop production..so he says. The LG price (LY shops) is competitive but Samsung price is not!.

I'm in a delimma!.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahh.. That looks like the ghosting problem people are having with the high-end version of some Dell 24" monitors. Problem with the high-gamut colour chip.

8. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

The ghosting only appears if you shake your mouse really quick though :think:

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Ohhh, I was in the same dilemma as you lol. I chose the LG L204WT over the Samsung 206BW though because I liked the silver matte finish more heheh. I suggest you go with the Samsung 206BW if you like the glossiness. Plus it's newer :thumb:

10. bslee

bslee Newbie

I finally bit the bullet. A spanking new Samsung 226BW from AllIT at PJ..they just drop price last evening to 1019..so I couldn't resist it. This is going to last me another 4 years I HOPE!. I'm really dug deep into my pocket this time!.
    Somehow I'm seeing some digital artifacts (izzit called that?) at the recommended LCD setting in some small areas. My AGP card is ye old Nvidia FX5200. I just finished overhauling my rig, rid the dust, clean up everything inside to isolate any problems. I'm now wondering if its the card thats not quite up to the job.

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. Congrats on the purchase! :thumb: :thumb:

Hmm.. What kind of digital artifacts? Are you referring to bad pixels? :think:

12. bslee

bslee Newbie

Heheh!..This half century old man here keeping up with younger folks with BIG BIG screens in front of the face. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can't recall the actual term but its somewhat like bits of electrical noise interference in certain parts of the screen. Its not entirely a serious issue, but its there if looked closely.
    My buddy's 20"LG was even worse. It had evenly spaced dots all over. It didn't happen on his previous 19" (non WS) Any explanation?.. card or LCD?.

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Try testing the monitor on a different PC just in case! :think:

14. bslee

bslee Newbie

Yah yah!.. I reckon I'll do that soon. Silly me!. :wall: :wall:
    Besides that, I used a Nokia monitor test utility and it passed everything with flying colors. I believe its not a conclusive or definitive test. Its only on Windows and in its optimum display resolution that will picture defects show up. I had earlier thought my graphics card when push to its limits can start to act up. For years, at 1024 x 768 32bit windows color on my previous 17" CRT, it was flawless.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  15. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

i just upgraded from 17" CRT to 22" LG L226WTQ. a big jump!! had chosen LG bcos of the better pixel warranty coverage. :wave: