looking for a new career

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Majormaggot, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

A lil background info on me: I geared my self in high school between auto and Computer studies credits. i got a part time job after school working at a car dealership, hence after i graduated i went into the auto field as a aprrentice. I have learned cause of certain health issues (ie. possiblity of getting lung cancer, my skin reaction to the oil n grease, stc.) that I have a choice now of switching careers or staying in the one im in (which wouldn't be a good idea). So that being said I'm currently looking for a new career in the computer field, only problem is im not to sure what field to do my studies in. I like building and repairing computers, but that doesn't seem like somthing one can do as a career. I guess my question to everyone is which field is best for sumone like me? i'm not too sure about the different fields there are, and what they're going to be like in the future (ie. job security, finacial stability, etc.)

confused,

-Major

2. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I'd say choice of career should at best be a matter of personal interests.
    Building computers could be a nice job, depending on what you want out of it.
    - Work at a major company like Dell or Fujitsu could give some security and comradeship with the colleagues, but be very repetitive and less personally rewarding.
    - Work at (or even run) a smaller local computer shop would be more of a challenge, both financially (bad) and mentally (good), and give you the opportunity to help customers get what's right for them and get immediate feedback when you do something right/wrong.

Other careers could be system/network administrator or consultant.

Cheers
    Olle

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, you should always ask yourself what you love doing the most.

Learning computers need not restrict you to merely maintaining or repairing them. You can also write about them, or provide tech support to people who don't know how to use them.