Making the switch to AM2

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Zenphic, May 24, 2006.

?

Switching to AM2?

1. Yes sir! :D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. What? No Way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who? What? Uh... what's AM2 anyway?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I once ran my Athlon 64 3500+ fanless... with the stock heatsink :mrgreen:

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

haha typo there man. typo.

X2 3600+ not X3. :D it was running with Scythe Ninja. The huge cooler with nicely spaced fins does help a lot with cooling.

my casing was modded with the help of ianho. it was totally reliant on casing airflow for cooling.

on mind you the X2 3600+ was running at 2.5ghz, 25% overclock. it can run with 2 cores doing folding@home in warm room without cracking up. :D i miss it.

it's making a come-back within the next month or 2 after i get my new casing and a few others stuff.

3. bslee

bslee Newbie

If I ain't no gamer, should an AM2 system still be bang for the buck against Intel if I decide to renew soon?.. I've been loyal to AMD based system since days of its K2CPU...now still lingering with Barton system. I may need decent processing power for some medium duty sound and video edits.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

A low end C2D would still beat the crap out of AM2. I was using AMD back in the K6-2 too. :mrgreen:

5. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Especially when o'ced, Intel > AMD :dance:

6. goldfries

AMD and Intel CPU at same price range, no one would feel the difference.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Seriously, the Intel Core 2 processor is just impossible for AMD to beat right now. Even if you do not game, you would do much better with a really low-end Core 2 processor than a high-end A64 processor for example. The low-end Core 2 processors are cheap too.

8. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

yep yep, i got meself a c2d e2160for aboot $70 canadian, and it outperforms my brothers am2 P9600. for now intel is the best bang for the buck, unless u work for amd that is.

9. goldfries

the E2160 is under the Pentium Dual-Core product line, not the Core2Duo. of course it's based on the C2D with a few other things stripped.

10. bslee

bslee Newbie

Ok ok.. Thanks for the input guys.. Intel platform will be seriously considered this time round. I trust your views!.
    Yes, I have to get bang for the buck.
    Till then..unless AMD invents some miracle soon.
    (nope, I don't work for AMD. I always thought AMD is still bang for the buck!)

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

12. bslee

bslee Newbie

I think I may look around to buy some lower C2D processor, since I'll predict surely there's many local itchy flers who're going to throw it out to upgrade. Whats not usable to them, can certainly be my gain. What I won't stinge is I'll buy the best mobo my money can stretch. Asus for sure!.

13. Adrian Wong

Hopefully, AMD will be able to deliver something as great as Intel's Core 2 processor soon. Otherwise, they are in deep, deep trouble as the Core 2 processor is just amazing. :thumb:

14. bslee

bslee Newbie

I was present at Intel's soft launch of Core2duo cpu last year. They said they have a real winner on their hands then that AMD had no competitor. Guess its holding true till now?.

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Yup. Sadly though, I was always an AMD fan :(

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I am a fan of the best product for my money fan! :thumb:

17. Brian

Brian Newbie

It depends really. AMD still holds the value proposition at the very low end and integrated graphics, especially with their kick ass 690G chipset. Have built a few systems around it for a few friends. Their 780G chipset promises to follow this tradition.

Personally I'd recommend a AMD system now for a low end HTPC solution or office desktop simply because of the strength of that chipset, so I guess they're kinda doing something right there.

18. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

EVGA released some neat motherboards for LGA775 with integrated video cards though, like the EVGA Nforce E-7150/630I. It's pretty cheap, and it seems to be competitive in the low-end/IGP segment. :think:

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Same here! That's why I bought a E2160 for myself :thumb:
    Buh, ah, I felt bad. lol

20. Adrian Wong

Well, the Core 2 Duo processor is really the processor to buy. It offers great performance at a good price, especially the lower-end models.

Of course, the Extreme models are extremely overpriced but that's natural, I guess... since there's an obvious lack of competition. :wall:

Like Chai, I am myself a fan of the best bang for the buck. AMD promised to do that with their Phenom processors but frankly, they bit on more than they can chew.

So, their Phenom was launched way too late, way too expensive and not fast or powerful enough or even available in sufficient quantities to dent Intel's near monopoly of the desktop CPU market.

They certainly aren't helping themselves by being arrogant and completely unhelpful to the media. Little wonder why there's so little coverage on their processors.

In any case, it's really their own fault. As consumers, we should always buy what offers the best value for our money. So far, that's the Core 2 processor.