Malaysian TmNet StreamYx Optimization Guide

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Cereberus, May 25, 2003.

1. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

[​IMG]
    Read More

Malaysian TmNet Isp Stream Yx Broadband Guide
    =================================

If your Malaysian and you feel very frustrated that surfing the net your totaly left alone to find out what modems are compatible with the Malaysian TmNet Isp when using the StreamYx Adsl Broadband package.........

Or you wanted to know how to tweak/increase your internet speeds using relevant information that is specific for StreamYx Broadband in Malaysia then you have come to the right place.

As you may or may not know i am Malaysian. I got my StreamYx Adsl broadband from the monopolist isp in Malaysia which is TmNet.

Our broadband speeds isn't as good as those enjoyed by the Singaporeans as i have concluded after reading through countless topics on the matter.

We only have Malaysian TmNet that solely offers widely available Adsl broadband ;/

The Malaysian government spoon feeds TmNet and it will be a long while before more competition is able to offer alternative broadband services.

Adsl is an isolated internet line that is just for you and is not shared like Cable is.

If your using the 80-100 Malaysian Ringgit ( MYR ) package then your cap should be 384kb Download and 128kb upload

Expect to have 75-80% of the advertised speeds. this all depends how far you are from the Telekom office.

I have collected a few links to sites that talk about our Malaysian StreamYx Adsl Broadband. If you are interested in finding out everything about it then you can go to these links:

Description: A very good site that has important faqs about StreamYx. *Recommended.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/streamyxdsl

Description: This is a forums that focuses on StreamYx. They have a list of modems/networking hardware that are compatible with our TmNet isp StreamYx Adsl Broadband.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/seasiabb

Description: This is the Stream Yx Optimization guide. They go very indepth about what broadband is good to use as well as how to tweak your settings to get the fastest internet speed for Stream Yx on tmnet Malaysia.

http://www.dxpose.com/reviews/streamyxtweak1/index.shtml

Why this guide is good for you
    ====================

You don't have to phone up Telekom Malaysia to find out the isp dial up number, Dns ip, and all these stuff as their all listed in these web sites.

If you want to get a networking hardware such as a router or such or maybe a modem, you should check using the networking compatibility list before purchasing them.

You can get better support than Telekom offers by first asking around at these forums that cover Stream Yx.

Your Stream Yx internet speeds can be greatly improved by reading up at these sites.

*ps: I just publish what i read ;)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wah, you ripped other's guides again? Hope we don't get sued! :D

3. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

I did not rip anyone @_@: !!!!!!!!!!!

*Takes his parang and chop you.

I included links ;P if i wanted to say i did these web sites i wouldn't put them.

Anyway hope this helps all the poor fellow Malaysians out there.

And by the way here is a site on how to diagnose your StreamYx Problems.

I'm reading these stuff up cause i want to get a router/switch for my gaminh/home lan purposes and took the time to share what i have found ;p

People don't want to search for all these things one by one. I just put them under one post so you have access to them :p

Anyway no need to thnk me :( *cry

Chai you should include the StreamYx Optimization guide link on the front of the web page. :/ this site is more pro Malaysian so it could be handy up on the front page.

The person who made the optimization guide over here

http://www.dxpose.com

has you affiliated as well ;)

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Ok, I'm sorry, I thought it was a cut and paste job like that A7N8X guide... :)

We don't post links to other sites, except for site news. And we posted that before already. I think you missed our point. We are not trying to make it pro-Malaysian. We welcome everyone around the world to visit our site, including Malaysians of course. :D :arp:

5. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

*Moogle Chanting "Malaysia Boleh ;D"

Nah i forgive you :)

But how else can i help people if i don't show them links to relevant material?

:( Not trying to steal members but i think it's helpful to let people read at other sites as well. I'm signed up at a few places ;)

I've been to many sites and their all just talking about us this uk that but never Malaysia ;( thats where i think our country lacks the tech savy site support.

If we don't offer some part of the forums that helps our own fellow country men who else will ;) We can still be global as well =^-^= but the point is it would be nice if we also left some focus on helping poor Malaysian coping with StreamYx Adsl ;(

TmNet is being spoon fed by the government and i don't know when any real competition will arrive ;( Jaring is dead :p

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wait for AFTA! :)

That's the only reason why TMNet is scrambling to introduce Streamyx. If they had their way, they would rather serve us only 56K until eternity.

7. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

Hehe ;) i use the net a lot so yeah dial up costed me more than 56k ironicly haha.

=^-^= i'm currently using the oc line at my university over in the uk but now that semester is finished and i have a 3 month break, it's time to go back to malaysia ;(

>.<; i can't wait to play cs on streamyx ... gee whiz o.o;

Anyway you know the malaysian saying. Malaysia boleh.

Or rather more like mine " it's better than squat :p lol "

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Followed the optimization guide but didn't notice any speed increase. nack to my old config. :think: :whistle:

9. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

hohohohoho... my stupid modem cant detect.. haha... I didont install the drivers for the modem though.. only connect to an ethernet port and voila.. its running... tried to install once... failed cause it says cant detect my comp's ethernet... although I've installed the ethernet drivers... haha

ah... streamyx getting crappier and crappier... I can tell u... I've DCed at least 4 - 6 times in an hour... guess my neighbourhood is filled wif signals... since streamyx is DSLAM... hahaha.... I just know there is a cyber near by my house... but other than tat... I can gurrantee u not more than 10 people in my neighbourhood using streamyx...

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

what is there to optimize about streamyx anyway?

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... the noise level? :think:

12. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

from the guide.. the noise level is depends on ur modem...

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm... I have yet to read this... guide... but according to another guide I read (by John Navas), there's really nothing much you can optimize in an ADSL connection...

I go dig it up...

14. Adrian Wong

Ahh... here it is...

John Navas' Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide - http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

Note : This guy came up on TechTV before... and he's been in the business for some time... so he's pretty certified. :)

On another note : ARP oldtimers will remember him as the brother of the notorious troll Jim Navas. :shock: :)

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yeah... there isn't much u can do with adsl optimizations... juts as dial-up modem optimisations.. it's all just theoratical improvements... :p

might as well, spend the time tweaking and go earn some more money instead and get a faster streamyx line :p

16. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

that's why.........what is there to improve? download speed is dependant on so many factors, it's very hard to do a proper benchmark on the speeds cos there are so many variables.

DSLreports' test is nice, but then the other factors involved will be our the connection between the modem to the copper wirings and to the many nodes, there's no consistency.

so if i tweak i'll download 0.2k faster or 2k faster? LOL..........i won't waste my time on getting slight tweaks when i'm already on 384k download speed. and not full-time downloading anyway, furthermore streamyx is 24/7 and we could just leave it on to download while we sleep.

i'll be interested in tweaks then make TMnet not drop my line.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Jim Navas! LOL! I wonder how is he doing now???

18. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

OK well what if..... your connection disconnects and you have no idea why it does that and then you can't immediately log back on.

The stuff i've read in these guides they also help you diagnose the problem and provide solutions.

Theres nothing magical when your not able to dial up to streamyx and others can.

It's some technical problem you just don't know how to fix.

Anyway speed is important especially when you play games like Counter Strike like i do.

You can see how much lower pings you can score when trying to reconnect to the same cs server.

Heck faster the better what ;)

I'm not sure paying for a better adsl line is practical for the main stream people in Malaysia o_O;

the 111 malaysian ringgit and below is the only ones you can get. I'm using the 111 myr package.

Why do over clockers bother over clocking their hardware then ???

Free extra performance :p

19. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

hm... firstly... it DCs because of DSLAM... am I correct ? correct me if Im wrong...

secondly... heck.. I can tweak my cs to get more lower pings compared to an 1mbps line... 20 - 40 ping... wat u think ?

lastly... the rm111 and the rm88 package is the same... only for rm111 u have to pay the rental for the modem... since they offer u a modem when u get the rm111 package... but as for rm88 it doesnt... and same goes to rm60 package.. that one is something like prepaid... just u can use for 60hours only.. haha

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

urm the thing is.. it's already fast if we access local servers... BUT no matter what u do, you'll never get low latencies from servers abroad simply because TMNet do not have the capacity for the required bandwidth....

so few lines out of Malaysia shared by SOOOOOOOOOO many users.... how la can get >100ms ping time??? :D

i think can get >200ms from a US server also happy.