Mechanical Keyboard fans

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PowerSlide, Jan 18, 2011.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Anyone here into mech kb? these lovely kb nicely making a comeback now and i see more and more are dumping their rubber dome for mech kb..if you own any mech kb please share anything related or what customization you done on your mech kb :thumb:

let me start, been 3 days since i acquire a blackwidow expert(the one w/o backlit) i have to admit im not a fan of razer product, i dont like their blingness and im not so sure about their quality. Even so i took a dive and bought this latest razer mech kb..its the cheapest and easily available mech kb on the market(here in m'sia) for the price of below rm300 its value for money.

so its been 3 days, there are couple of good point on this kb..build quality is excellent for a razer..very sturdy construction the whole thing feel never gonna fall apart..my 1st razer product is not gona be a bad experience. As for typing the blue switch razer put on is usual business, loud and tactile..i like it but this a subjective matter..this is why there are few type of switches to suit anyones taste

some drawback, glossy plastic surface is horrid..its a fingerprint magnet..3 days of usage i can see my oily bits at the kb..lol i would prefer some normal rough plastic over these glossy. Another is the key placement which feels "close" or "narrow" to each other..i keep hitting the wrong key but now more familiar with the layout its not much a problem anymore.

Things i left out like macro keys which i didnt bother to use..more info on these can be found with a simple googling..im more just of giving my thought on this kb rather than a review..im simply no calibre in wrting a good review :mrgreen:

Anyway if you fancy a logitech G510 give this razer a try, perhaps you will like it..even me at 1st thinking of getting the logitech g510 but after trying this out im sold at mech kb.

Thanks for reading :)

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

What?? mechanical keyboard? :oops: What is that? :oops:

LOL, sorry I don't know how difference the feel is.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Those ancient keyboards, 10 years ago, IBM keyboards, I think those are pure mechanical, super heavy. I still have it I think

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...not really a fan of mechanical keyboards. I prefer something which is comfortable after long use, and I don't require any gaming or macros functionality. That's why Logitech G series are never under my radar.

But there isn't much choice elsewhere too. Corded keyboard is getting rare, and I can never understand what's the point of wireless keyboard, especially the non-portable ones. It serves no purpose other than killing the environment even more (battery).

I don't think I will spend RM300+ for a standard keyboard...I'm currently using MS Natural Keyboard 4000. It is quite good, but it doesn't last very long. The rubber gets "old" really fast.

5. Chai

LOL, I think I have some of them in my office. Wow, the keyboard is incredibly heavy!

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I like slim keyboards, using Logitech illuminated keyboard for my desktop now..

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it's for the tactile feedback as well as the nicer sound effect.

The thing about keys with matte surfaces is that they wear off over time. So you will end up with a pretty ugly looking keyboard after a year or two. The glossy surface will probably "last" longer in that sense.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

If I'm not mistaken, I had once a 1994 Chicony keyboard. The typing sounds really rough. Is this keyboard in 1994 mechanical? :think:

9. Chai

Is there any mechanical keyboard which is not clicky for sale in Malaysia?

10. Adrian Wong

1994? Probably. Not sure when the current membrane keyboard was invented. But if you press the key completely and it registers a loud clack, it should be a mechanical keyboard.

11. Adrian Wong

Well, AFAIK, the mechanical keyboards will click and clack when you press the keys fully but apparently, you are NOT supposed to do that. It will register the keystroke even if you press just halfway down.

From what I understand, we are all so used to membrane keyboards that we unnecessarily slam the keys on a mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards will allow us to be touch typists but we must first get used to the fact we can lightly press the keys to register the keystroke.

12. Chai

There are actually many types of mechanical keyboards, including those which is not tactile or clicky, but they are quite hard to find.

13. Adrian Wong

But isn't the tactile feedback the main reason for getting a mechanical keyboard? :think:

14. Chai

Yup, that is true. But there are also some linear mechanical keys out there. In fact, some gaming keyboards prefer these non-tactile keyboards because they are stiffer, and the actuation point and release point is at the exact same spot, while some keys some keys have release point a bit higher.

Different feel for different needs.

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

the tactile feel is why i feel its nicer, its like feedback from a car steering lol for gaming most say black switch is the better but its fall down to individual taste anyhow

i think that its either love or hate it, even the factor of price..mech kb its not cheap and not many will spend so much on a kb

16. Chai

I tried the BlackWidow in Lowyat today. I didn't really like it that much. It feels 'rough', unlike a rubber dome based keyboard. I think I still prefer the 'cheapo' keyboard.

Maybe I will like the brown CherryMX keys better, as I don't like the clicky sound.

17. Adrian Wong

That's why we must try out the keyboards for ourselves.

Me? I like the Sensonic U3 slim keyboard. It's a simple and cheap keyboard but it's nice to type on. It's not mechanical so there's no tactile feedback. However, I'm already used to hammering the keys so... don't care la... :haha: :haha:

It also has a nice silicon rubber protector/skin which is great if you are one of those who must munch or drink while typing! :haha: :haha:

Mine's getting quite "stretched" from use though... I wonder if they sell replacement skins....

18. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

yeap.always must try 1st before jumping to mech kb

now like after 2 months my blackwidow still going good, nth break or fall apart..so far using mech kb doesnt improve my typing speed..my skill cant be improved much lol but i type better without much error cause i know the key i press will register.

i read that filco is coming soon, im waiting for its price..if its not too expensive i will dump this blackwidow, getting abit bored cleaning fingerprint

19. Chai

If you want to improve your typing skills, you can try playing Typing of the Dead, weirdest game ever! :haha:

20. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

what? typing can become a game :haha: