msn problems...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NeoSquall, May 23, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Most likely because Microsoft integrated MSN Messenger into Windows XP. Same like they did with IE. :D

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, that's true.

3. Chai

I don't think ICQ took over IRC. It's very different in nature. I never use IRC even during it's peak era, didn't like the concept.

4. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

IMO.. ICQ didont took over mIRC.. I was using mIRC and ICQ together.. mIRC for meeting new friends and ICQ for keeping contact with old friends.. mIRC did survive even during ICQ's peak era.. but not MSN tho.. MSN came and mIRC just went dead.. ICQ slowly died down..

I like mIRC.. met many new friends and met my ex-gf.. LOL!!

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I still use mIRC these days (for different purposes though :lol: )

6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I thought so as well try sending an .exe file and MSN will biatch immediately :think:

7. Mac Daddy

MSN for me I started using because it recognizes non-MSN addresses on your contact list. I have a lot of friends that use the forum addys for MSN and could never do that on ICQ ;)

8. danteoddjob

danteoddjob Newbie

i dun hav any problem. :wave:

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Did you guys try out Pidgin or Miranda? They're multi-protocol IM clients. It might fix your disconnects, unless it's a problem with the servers.

I'd switch from WLM if it wasn't for offline messaging. That's handy and Pidgin or Miranda don't support it since offline msg's are kept on the servers.

10. Mac Daddy

Tried those 2 and Trillian I ran for years but missing some features I like including the live folders on WLM which my brother and I use for music.

I may switch back to Pidgin though in the long run :think:

11. Chai

I'm using Miranda for ICQ... :mrgreen:

12. Mac Daddy

ICQ dang bro I haven't used that in ages. I created my account using my AOL email addy as all I could get at that time was dialup years ago. Problem is I can't request lost password because the email addy is no longer valid :haha: :haha:

So I don't use ICQ anymore and no biggie ... but Trillian I used until version 3.0 .. didn't like it :hand:

13. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

hmm.. I think for several times .. i bet my mone on . the reason Live Messenger problem connecting is that it clashes with IE7. If you uninstall IE7, Live Messenger would work like a charm. :nuts:

14. Mac Daddy

I have only had IE7 installed on my system once testing for forum issues on another board. That was for 2 hours then it was uninstalled.

15. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I never bothered with live folders since it creates a folder for itself and copies everything into it without notice. I stick with good old .ZIP and send single files. And FTP of course :D

16. Mac Daddy

The reason we use Live folders is so we can access recordings and software for music while we are both not at home. Raw tracks are usually in .wav format and too large for emails even rared or zipped. Complete unmixed songs for Wavelab or Soundforge much larger.

This also allows us to log onto our WLM on any machine anywhere in the world and still have the same access we do at home. I am working on a server solution ATM that should basically do the same thing ;)

17. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

That's pretty handy. Live folders also support pause/resume for downloads as well right?

Did you try out SkyDrive? Online storage that's offered by Windows Live.

18. Mac Daddy

I haven't tried out SkyDrive but will check it out THX Bro :D

On Live folders they are folders you can cut and copy and paste whatever you like to them. What turned me off on Trillian was not only the 3.0 user interface but a long running problem with MSN file transfers in general .. have they resolved this? :think:

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

SkyDrive seems to be a basic online storage.

No idea about Trillian, since it was laggy on my PC so I never had a change to explore it much lol

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My MSN is finally ok :| No idea what happened.

*Thread moved to General Software subforums*