my case mod

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by sbohdan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

first I wanted to post the pics in the thermalright SI-97 thread but then again this is another mod. my intentions were less for the looks rather then improving cooling in my case. I wanted a 12cm fan that would blow cold air on my modded video card. the mod fom the side is so big that a 12cm fan is just right to cover it. the smaller fan is blowing air to the CPU cooler and two will be connected with a duct later. so here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    first I marked the place where the fans will be (used when cutting out the holes in the glass), then proceeded cutting out the side panel

[​IMG]
    I had the glass cut by a friend of mine who owed me a favor :) , then I glued the glass inside the cut out side panel. I used silicon glue for that. I also used silicone glue for attaching the fans from inside.

[​IMG]
    when cutting out the side panel, I made a little design by making a little cut for the bottom of the 12cm fan. the hole in the glass is aligned with the cut.

[​IMG]
    here you can see how the 12cm fan is covering the cooling job for the modded video card.

[​IMG]
    this is how it looks finished. well, actually there is still one thing left: getting and installing the duct, which will channel air directly to the CPU cooler. I will post a pic when its done.

2. SilentBotts

SilentBotts Newbie

Thats good work there.
    A filter or a fan grill over then fans wouldn't be a bad idea.

3. zachig

zachig Newbie

Yeah, that's what I was going to ask. What about fan grills and/or filters???

Anyway, very nice work. Well done!!! :clap:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nice work sbohdan :mrgreen:

Why not screw mount the fans? Doesn't seem secure with the silicon glue lol :lol:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why fan stacking?

6. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

ok, first: I don't like grills - they make the fan noisier and as for the filter - filters are a bit restrictive when it comes to airflow, so I rather try to keep my place dust free and blow out my case twice a year - that seems sufficient for me - especially since I open my case very often (allways have to change or improve something) and BTW I clean the inside if I find it to dusty.

as for Max: I cant screw on the fans because it's glass not plexi but the silicon holds pretty good. I left the weight on the fan and glass for 24 hours and it sticks very good. thanks for the comments though.

just curious: what is it about all of you missing the filters? is it so dusty where you live. I know some places around the globe are more dusty then others. its not so in Canada, at least not where I live :beer:

Chai: what do you mean by fan stacking?

7. Chai

You mounted 2 fans together, the big side intake fan with a graphics card fan. It's not good for the airflow. You should just remove the graphics card fan.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, fan stacking doesn't increase the air flow. It just messes it up. :think:

9. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

so I removed the smaller uv fan. the idle temp went up about 1-1.5C. I guess it's because the bigger fan is on the sidepanel and is further (2 inches from the SI-97 and about 3 inches from the closest mem. fin)

10. Chai

You have way too many fans around the graphics card, disrupt the airflow badly...