My Experience As A House Officer

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Actually, that's what I'm doing. :mrgreen:

The only way to survive it is to suck it up and just carry on.

It's like a totally different world. Believe me when I say it's not a temporary issue. Other housemans and MOs have confirmed the same thing about these egomaniacs. ;)

2. Adrian Wong

Err.. It's not the army. :mrgreen:

Besides, you get it only from certain individuals. It's not an institutional policy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

You will survive Adrain!!! :) :wave:

ARP #1 :arp:

4. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

Haha... Give him a break... His life at the moment sounds so miserable... :roll: :lol:

How long is your housemanship and government service, Boss? :think:

Actually, meeting egomaniacs is just part and parcel of life... What matters is how you deal with it, learn how to adapt and come out on top! :thumb:

Well, here's wishing you all the best! :beer:

P.S. If you want an MC, you have to apply for leave... But you must apply for leave one week in advance... So you must know one week in advance whenever you're gonna get sick... Or you must suffer for one week before you can go on leave? :confused: :nuts: By that time you probably won't be sick anymore! :doh:

1 person likes this.
  5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

MCs are POS ..

to tell you the truth .. what i think of MCs..

let say you are a college student & havea terrible stomachache and miss class...
    how are you gonna obtain an MC if you are in pain to walk or visit a doctor :nuts:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

加油黄医生!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: (gambatte doctor wong!)

all the best to you!

7. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Well, considering the fact that many house officers survive the gruelling programme, I should be able to survive it.

The only question I have in my mind now is whether it's worth it for me to sacrifice so much in such insane working conditions?

Today, I just received news that starting from this Sunday, I will be on overnight calls every other day. Which means I will be working from 7:30am on Day 1 until 5pm on Day 2, followed by night rounds from 6:30pm till 9:30pm on Day 2.

This is repeated, ad nauseum. So, every 48 hours, I can only leave the hospital for approximately 10 hours. :doh:

I REALLY REGRET coming to the Melaka GH. :wall:

8. Adrian Wong

My housemanship lasts approximately 20 months. Then I have to complete the government service of 4 years. :wall:

You are doing Pharmacy, right? That's a smart choice.. although you will also have to do government service. Still, your working condition should be very mild - the pharmacy only opens during working hours.

As for sick leaves, well, I assume that if you are sick, they will give you emergency leave. But they will either extend your housemanship or use the rest of your leaves.

9. Adrian Wong

Well, in my college, they allow you a minimum attendence rate of 75%.

The other 25% is actually to be used as sick leave. If you are suffering from stomachache or a fever, you can just skip class. But they will mark you as absent.

Even if we give them MCs, they will still consider us absent. Only in situations where our attendence drops below 75% (and thus makes us ineligible for exams), will they consider the MCs.

If it's for something like surgery or chicken pox, they will make an exception and allow you to sit for the exam. Still, your attendence record stays below 75%.

10. Adrian Wong

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Pray for me... :cry:

11. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

:roll:

I :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: for you.

12. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Well.. think of it this way.. you get to see more women in a day than most of us will in a lifetime :)

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You can complain all you want here. All ears will be listening... :thumb:

If me... I would have stabbed her through her heart. :snooty:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

20 months? :shock: :shock: :shock:

*fainted*

15. Adrian Wong

Err.. They are all married and pregnant (in Obs) or with some gynae problems. Certainly not looking their very best! :mrgreen:

16. Adrian Wong

I think maybe I should not. The Obs department somehow knows I'm running ARP.

It's possible that someone from that department may be reading this now. :mrgreen:

Oh hell.. I'm so freaking tired of the attitude in the department. I kinda like O&G but the attitude totally turns me off. :hand:

17. Adrian Wong

Well, we have 3 major postings (Medicine, Surgery, O&G) and 2 minor postings (Ortho and Paeds).

Four months per posting = 20 months total. :nuts:

18. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Well.. even if they are married, it doesn't mean they're not incredibly good looking :) hey are pap smears done in gynae ? I've never actually seen a cervix, up close, in real life. That must really be something :)

19. Adrian Wong

Well, try swinging by the labour ward. You will see what I mean. :mrgreen:

I think it's good for people to see real labours going on. I think it will make people appreciate the sacrifice women make giving birth to their children.

Yeah, pap smears are done in gynae...

Well, join our "noble" profession and you will get the opportunity to do so. Although I doubt the privilege is worth such a sacrifice.

20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member