Need suggestion on making a pc for a small kid

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lacus, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm, not bad but too bad we don't have much barebone choices here :(..

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Honestly, it will be better to just get one of the netbooks. They are really cheap for what they do. Plus, they are highly portable and they have a built-in "UPS".. hehe.. in the form of a battery la.. :mrgreen:

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

netbooks? Err, what netbooks are you guys referring to =/ you mean something like the EEE pc?

5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, like the ASUS Eee PC or the MSI Wind.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Eee PC MIGHT be a bad idea if it's for a child :lol:

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, it like for a 9-10 year old kids =/

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My point is, Eee PC is a really bad idea if her child doesn't know how to protect his/her belongings, even if he/she is already 9-10 years old. Eee PC can't withstand much abuse, unlike a desktop.

9. Adrian Wong

Eh, the Eee PC is robust la... Plus it has a solid state drive which means it's a LOT less likely to die if you drop it. And it will last longer than a notebook with a regular hard drive if the kid likes to carry it around while it's running.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well, so far still no news from her..I wonder did she actually ran away or what when i actually ask her to give me the money for the hardwares -.-

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

More robust? Definitely not when it comes to kids.

It's not just the hard drive. Keyboard and LCD too. You have to understand that most kids don't value computer hardwares like we do (there might be some exceptions), you cannot expect them to use it like how we will use it.

My younger brother is a good example of this, he's already 11 years old but he doesn't value any of his belongings at all. If you give him an Eee PC, he will use it really roughly. How long do you think it can last? :haha:

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

less than a week? :haha:

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Well, as a start, get her a cheap Sempron configuration with 1GB DDR2 and a simple AMD chipset board. :)

Else, the Celeron Dual-Core will be ok too. :)

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, she wanted something decent and can last long..so i actually decided on the celeron dual core E1200 =/

15. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. For such kids, you need military-grade Panasonic Toughbooks! :twisted:

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's why it's a lot more logical to get them a desktop PC rather than notebook.

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Those panasonic notebooks,are darn expensive i think..Around 20k right =_=?

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Ah, young kids tend to be quite clumsy on notebooks. Better get her the simplest desktop PC, then after that when she gets more experienced with it, go for a simpler notebook.

A notebook can be very fussy for many people! :D

19. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Get a Eee Pc .. then glue it on to the Desk.. problem solved ..

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

eee Box makes more sense then.