Need suggestion, server to run Apache and Joomla

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Dec 12, 2010.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys,

I have a friend who wants to implement a Joomla system on Apache and host it on his own office using Streamyx connection.

I would like to ask, is it necessary to get a server from Dell like those powered by Intel Xeon, bufferred RAM, etc? FYI the 'server' would be on 24 hours, are those 'server build' more robust and meant to be on 24 x 7?

Also, it seems that the server would be powered by Windows Server 2008, as for Windows Server 2008, how different is the OS from normal OS? Would it be able to install standard software like apache and php? (I plan to use Apache Friends, XAMPP for this).

Many thanks for answering my questions.

Thanks

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Server spec machines are supposed to be more reliable, but desktop PCs are not too shabby actually.

But if it is meant to run 24x7, then it would be better to get a server, and run a RAID5 to reduce downtime.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmmph my friend insists on a server spec, so any suggestion ?

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It's probably a bad idea to run the server in his office unless it's isolated in a room/he likes loud fans :lol:

5. Chai

It really depends what kind of specs do you want. RAID? Dual processor? Redundant PSU?

You also did not mention what is the expected usage, how many concurrent users?

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Okay, RAID would be needed, at most 20 concurrent users, running some Java applet over Apache Tomcat and Joomla CMS over Apache

7. Chai

Do you need RAID1 or RAID5? Then most likely a RAID card is needed. I don't think you need a high end server.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ok, let's say RAID1 would do, mirroring. I thought most motherboards support basic RAID like 0 and 1?

9. Chai

That is software RAID, not hardware RAID.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hosting a webserver on a streamyx connection?

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, seems quite fast despite the 512kbps upload speed, but soon moving to Unify.

Anything to concern using Unify? I heard the free router is quite nasty.