New i7 build crashes in XP Pro.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Jul 22, 2009.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ok,. this is not my system, it's a friends. I told him what parts to get and put it together for him. Everything is default settings, and the BIOS was updated to the latest version. Latest drivers have been installed. Whenever I build a system, I do a one hour burn-in minimal. For this system I did a single pass of Memtest and 20 IntelBurn in tests in the repair interface of Windows7 RC1 X64.

For now he is running Windows XP Pro, soon to be running Windows 7 RC1 X64 and then Windows 7 X64 after the release.

Now, he is having this little issue where it's locking up or BSOD'ing during games. It can be anything from a PopCap game to a full 3D game like Crysis. If he does anything else, he's fine.
    Memtest + ran through 18 passes with no issue.
    CPU Stability Test ran for over 12 hours with no issue as well. We also ran the Video Card satbility test with no issues.
    Security software is the same as me, Avira free and Comodo Firewall. All other protection is passave from SpyBot S&D and Spyware Blaster. All properly updated.
    Soon I'll be running the IntelBurn in test in a Windows 7 RC1 X64 install, but any additional info/help would be great.

One theory I have gotten is simply that XP is having problems running the i7. I am leaning more toward something with the audio. Either a bad driver or possibly the chip is bad. If it's something with the audio, we will just put an audio card in the system.

Here are the specs :

MOBO : MSI X58 Platinum SLI
    CPU : Intel i7 920
    Video Card : HIS Radeon HD 4890
    RAM : OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 3GB
    PSU : Corsair TX750W
    HDD : WD VelociRaptor 150GB
    Optical Drive : Lite-On IHAS124-04 (DVD-RW)

Soon we will be adding a 1TB Western Digital BLACK HDD. That will basically finish things off for a while, until he decides to add more RAM.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

What kind of graphics stability test did you guys run?

BTW, you can check if it's the audio chip by just disabling it in Device Manager. You get no sound but you can test your games and see if it crashes with the audio chip disabled.

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

4. Adrian Wong

Actually, the best test to use would be a variety of games, especially really severe stuff like Crysis. Turn everything up even though it crawls at 1-2 fps.

BTW, have you tried changing the graphics driver? Maybe going back to an older build?

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Funny thing, he maxes everything out and it doesent crawl. He's still in XP 32, so there is no DX10 to push things.

But, he told me a fiew minutes ago there hasen't been any crashing for a while in games. Mabye the cooling on the CPU wasen't compleatly set in? Anyway, when he get's Windows7 on, I am going to run Crysis maxed out. If we get through the first level, I assume we are good. Plus, we are only using the demo.

6. Adrian Wong

That could be if he used the thermal pad that came with the cooler. Thermal paste sets in faster, if I'm not mistaken. Chai??? Max_87??? Any comments?

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Ya, it's stock cooling. There will be no overclocking at all, so I used the included cooling.

8. Adrian Wong

The stock cooler actually works great. I'm using it myself.

Ahhh.. I forgot. It's unlikely to be the CPU because the Core i7's thermal protection feature will throttle the clock speed if it overheats.

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

He's been running Win7 for a while with no issues at all. Not sure what caused the crashes, but I am leaning toward the driver. With the Win7 install, I only installed the video card driver. Everything else is generic.

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I think it's a driver issue too.

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, you can actually try the RTM if 7, it gives you some indication of how the real retail version would work on your PC

12. Earnhardt09

Earnhardt09 Newbie

Is everything on stock settings?

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Wow, I forgot about this. I am sorry everyone.
    Anyway, my friends system has been running fin for the past 3 months.
    Everything is on stock settings in the BIOS, he doesnt want to play around with that stuff.
    He recently moved, and I helped. When I got his PC hooked back up, I left it running the Intel Burn In Test for about an hour.
    No issues, and actually after that I loaded a temp monitor, and ran the test again. The CPU ran a little cooler leaving me to believe that the thermal past was still settling in, and when it got to hot it crashed.
    He wasn't doing anything stressful on the system, it has been me doing horrible things to heat the system up. :)
    I would push him to run pointless stress tests and benchmarks, but he never really did. Well, until Win 7 was installed and he say his system run Crysis.