NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT Graphics Card Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Kalo

Kalo Newbie

:( @ Papercut, not all is lost... :)

2. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Shall we start a boycott?
    Better still get a petition going at uni

1 person likes this.
  3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Haha it's no big deal, really :thumb:

Come on now, this thread is supposed to be about the 7900GT ;)

4. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Chai,
    I have a question about coolers, and since you're the lucky bloke who gets to reveiw things you might be the best person to ask.
    I've been browsing the site of our local pc hardware shop and the only vga cooler I can find for the 7900gt is the Zalman VF900. Do you know of any others? Or even anything that's in the pipeline for the near future?;) ;)

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thermalright V1-Ultra?

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

A$70 :faint:
    Sytrin VF1 is not available locally...
    I think VF900 would still be the best choice :thumb:

7. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Yeah I think you're right Papercut, plus the VF900 looks like it will cover tha ram which seems to be where the problem lies.
    I can run the core happily at 500 but the ram can't handle 670 which is only 10meg over default! Plus I think it ships with a set of ramsinks.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

OT: I'm still trying to finish up the VF900 review!

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT Graphics Card Review Rev. 2.0!

The review has just been updated! :wave:

If you have been drooling over the new GeForce 7900 GTX but can't afford it, you may be interested to know that it is actually not quite the best thing in NVIDIA's line-up.

That, we think, is a title that belongs to the NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT! Find out why we love it so much that we gave it our Editor's Choice Award!

Here are the updates:-
    [​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT Graphics Card Review Rev. 2.0!

10. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

:clap: Hi guys,

Found the problem! I was really pissed off when my pc was restarting playing C&C Zero Hour ( BF2 didn't though) due to overheating of the vga card.

I really needed to get to the bottom of this so I thought stuff the warranty, then proceeded to remove the cooler off the card, simple process, only 4 screws, and underneath i found a thermal pad that had never made contact with the GPU! I couldn't beleive my eyes, of all things, how could this happen! ( I'm glad these guys don't build helos.)

Just a little as5 on there, replaced the cooler and now idling at 39deg C. It used to be 65deg C. I then ran some looped demos (5) of 3d mark 06 and it never went above 52deg. I have now oc'd the card to 560/790 and can't get it passed 58deg.:dance:
    I'm now as impressed with the card as I imagined I would be, but I can't beleive that for such a large monetary outlay, they can let such simple mistakes be made.:nuts:
    Looks like I won't be getting the VF900 now there's no need.(sorry Papercut) I'm amazed that with a card packing this much grunt they can get away with that piddly little cooler.
    Anyway if anyone else has heat problems with their 7900GT, get out your little syringe of as5, and you'll be on your way.

I'm so happy I'm going to barrel roll my AS355 tomorrow!

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Glad to hear you fixed it, and with minimal cost too :thumb:

Obviously Prolink's assembly team needs a bit of help, just like the MacBook Pro guys :whistle:

12. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Yeah It's a shame that you've gotta bust your warranty just because of their ineptitude. (I was gonna say incompetence) but that's prolly taking things a bit far:naughty:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

They will still take it back if you put AS5.... :p

14. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Do they?

I thought that as soon as you removed the heatsink and fan, that was your warranty gone.

Anyway it still doesn't absolve prolink from a shabby job.
    That's what you get for not being patient, and then getting a cheap card cos they're the only one available.
    I've learnt my lesson!

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

They won't be the wiser... :D

16. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

Emailed prolink yesterday to let them know of this problem,
    Got an email back today and they said that at the moment all 7900GT cards are being manufactured by Nvidia so all we are getting is reference cards in a Prolink box.
    Nice way to make cash that.
    All they are doing is warehousing for Nvidia.
    Yes the warranty is still valid, they said the only way I would lose it, would be to scratch/break the card.
    Now I know about the reference cards I'll get another one for SLI, I was going to get an Asus but what's the point paying an extra hundred bucks for the same thing! Different box of course and with prolink you get 2 crappy games 'snowblind' and 'thief' (never heard of them):beer:

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I've heard of Thief, I'm pretty sure it's better than the Delta Force series :roll:
    But thanks for sharing that info...interesting that they will still officially honour the warranty.

18. firstknight

firstknight Newbie

hmmm i am resurrecting this thread.. hehe.. cos i need to know a few things...

1. OC.. wat do you use to OC the card? the one that comes with the card nvidida control panel?
    2. is it recommended to change the stock cooler to a third party one when OC?
    3. how do i check the temp? from Nvidia control panel?
    4. if OC the temp will rise? the system crash or something might get spoilt?

thnks..

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

1. Author?
    2. It is not a must, but if you want better overclocked speeds, then yes. It will be a must if you overvolt your card.
    3. Yup. Some third party overclocking softwares also allows you to check the temperature.
    4. If it is just overclock only, normally you won't notice any significant temperature rise. However, if you overvolt + overclock your card, you will notice your card gets A LOT hotter, depending on how much you overvolt.

AFAIK, a lot of 7900GTs gone FUBAR due to overclocking, I remember reading a news about it where the return rate for 7900GT increased a lot, especially those factory overclocked ones. Those are not even overvolted yet.

It's not advisable to overclock this card, unless your card is still within the warranty period or you are prepared to lose the card anytime. It doesn't seem to be able to withstand all the abuse from overclocking at all when compared to other cards.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

We used the Coolbits to overclock.