Nvidia in TROUBLE?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Rraven, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

2. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

No problems with any nvidia products ever. I must be extremely lucky or just smart (aftermarket cooling).

3. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

well i have heard it also but i dont see a problem
    if you send 1000 gpus on market and you get 50 cards back
    you could say that it was good sale of that card

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm asking NVIDIA about this. Let's see what they say. :D

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Yeah, I wouldn't mind the issue being clarified. Is it heat related or not? All I know now is that this is exactly the kind of rumour that would accelerate the ongoing ATI buying trend.

6. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...we're seeing a repeat of the AMD flip-flop with Intel in miniature...

Nvidia's products had a stranglehold on performance for a good long while, and now they're flailing about while ATI righted their boat and got firing on all cylinders. Now ATI is running away with it and Nvidia is left staring into the abyss. Metaphorically - it's not like they're going to disappear.

Same thing that happend to AMD at the time that Intel brought out the Core stuff. They were screwing up right and left and Intel finally let them have it. Years go by and AMD is barely finding it's way out of the dark now...

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Inquirer? Hmm...

8. Adrian Wong

Actually, even if it was posted by some fishy website, the fact that NVIDIA has to fill in the SEC 8K form with a report on the matter means it's for real.

9. Rraven

Rraven Newbie

I know a good bit of what comes across the Inquirer is to be taken with a grain of salt, hence why I said IF its true.

But as its also a subject that's on the Dell, Asus and HP sites concerning their laptops. Add also the fact that Nvidia has also stated that they will be taking a roughly 200 million dollar hit on profits(That coming from their CEO at the stockholders meeting).
    I tend to speculate there is a fair amount of truth in it, TO what extent is the unknown part.

I have looked over many sites and have found a good number of folks seem to be running into problems with their products. The common denominator seems to be cold cycling. The laptops/mobiles seems to be cropping up more because they are turned on and off more. Desktops that tend to run longer periods of time appear to see the problem less.

As there has been no definate statement from Nvidia as to all of this. Again it is still speculation on any ones part as to what is going on. I was just merely trying to bring it to focus of folks that would have an interest in it as we all care to have the best system possible.

Hopefully soon it all will get cleared up and we can sit back and enjoy our computers the way we want.

I really want to see good competition between ATI and Nvidia. Best thing there is for the consumer :wave:

10. Adrian Wong

Thank God I keep my notebook running 24/7. :mrgreen: