Opteron 165 oc

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Domster, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Domster

Domster Newbie

Hi
    I've recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego to an Opteron 165. I had the San Diego overclocked to 2.7Ghz and I must say, it was very easy to do. The ole Opteron is a whole different ball game.

From the start, it was difficult figuring out how to get this processor to run even at default volts (1.30v) and speeds (1.8Ghz) but once done, it turned out to be quite nifty.

I'm priming at the moment at 2790mhz 310x9 but it doesn't like any higher than a 07/10 RAM/FSB divider. Keep getting random freezes if I try 03/04. It really was incredibly unstable when my RAM was at default voltage (2.66v) so I upped it to 2.75v (made no difference) so went straight to my RAMs limit of 2.87v.

Last night though, I was Prime 95ing at 300x9, 3.795v, 05/06 RAM/FSB, 3,4,4,8, 2.87 RAM voltage and my HTT was at x3. Smart Guardian was saying I was at 39C-40C. Core Temp was saying 45C-49C (both cores). All of a sudden, the computer just shutdown completely with no warning. When I switched it back on, there were no complaints that I'd shut down incorrectly or any errors of any sort.

So, just wondering what could have been the cause......RAM or CPU. I don't think I've ever had that happen while overclocking. Computer freeze, fail to boot to Windows or just a simple Reboot.....yes but never a complete shut down.

To anyone that's still reading this long winded post.....Thanks ;)

<EDIT>

I've Memtested my RAM for a few hours and found no errors.

<EDIT> <EDIT>

Here's a pic of A64 info. Taken just a sec ago. Last night I was to 300x9....not 310 and me RAM was at 05/06 but all the other settings are exactly the same. Where it says the DRAM Drive Strength: Weak, I set it to 07 in BIOS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007

2. 3.795v on VCore? Isn't that quite high?

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i think he mean 1.795v, impossible to have 3v+ on the vcore

4. Still, 1.795 is too high. I wonder what stepping this proc is?

edit:
    I'm running mine @ 1.48v. Maybe your mobo did an auto shutdown? It happened to me once. Computer just turned itself off without warning. When I turned it back on again, everything seemed ok. No error messages whatsoever. But after a few minutes, computer again resets itself. Then I realized that my watercooling loop wasn't turned on! :doh: Auto shut-off was set at 60C on my mobo.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007