P2P traffic clogging broadband (from tmnet)

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by ALstonLoong, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

Just read this from thestar

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2006/3/1/technology/13540730&sec=technology

humm ...i thought adsl is individual line that wont affect other user ?:doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2006
  2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

What's the big deal? It's not like you need all that bandwidth for "mere" web surfing and chatting :roll:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

20% of the users choking up 80% of the bandwidth? Isn't that a sign of them NEEDING TO UPGRADE??? :wall:

4. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

yeah..to me is more like they needed to upgrade their server .. instead of blaming p2p choking up local broadband lines. If i remember correctly ... adsl is not like cable which every user share the same optic cable. Adsl user have their own line and wont affect other user even u download tons of stuff.

so wat he said is not making any sense to me....:doh:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not really. If the submarine cable can only cope 1Gbps (example), you can only fit that much bandwidth thru that.

Yes everyone has their own line, but all the line still have to go thru that bottleneck.

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

if you want to offer the service, u do it right.

otherwise, _|_

stop blaming ur customer. you monopoly the market and you have been offering very bad services all this while...and now you say shit like this to us? _|_

what do u mean by minority? we are ur customer u dxxb a88.

7. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

yup i understand:haha: .

What im trying to say is, since everyone have their own line, doesnt that means tmnet suppose to provide that amount of bandwidth to user since we paid for it..? We didnt abuse our bandwidth... we have the right to use wat ever bandwidth we paid for isnt it( for example 1M adsl) ? tmnet server got choked thats because they need to upgrade their server they should not put the blame on user for abusing it ,isnt it?cause adsl is not like cable... we just use wat we paid for the line. Is a private line ..not shared.

just my 2 cents :shifty:

8. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

not really. Broadband is shared service That's why it's so cheap. Lease line is dedicated.

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, Malaysian's agencies tend to put blame on the consumers or anything that they can get on rather than their inefficiency. Look at Streamyx, so many promotions, free this and free that, when have you heard of them upgrading this and that? They only want more money, but when they can't cope with the increase usage, they blame us. KNN! Stupid people! :evil:

10. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

It doesn't work that way. Say you run an ISP with 10,000 users and you each of them buys 1.0/512 ADSL service from you. Would you then go out and get a 10Gbit line? There really is no reason to - it is highly unlikely that at any one instant all your users will be downloading large files from foreign servers. So the ISP must calculate what it believes its peak usage will be and get whatever lines it needs then.

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Agreed. But I don't think they should punish users for maxxing out their lines.

After all, if you are paying for 1mbps, you have the right to use all 1mbps.

Of course, if we all start maxxing out our lines, they will probably be forced to upgrade their bandwidth and increase their prices. :think: