People can really be SO petty

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Weddings can bring out the worst in people. Mine's coming around the corner and I've not only had to put in a LOT of time and money into it, I also have had to deal with incredibly petty guests.

To show our sincerity, we actually took it upon ourselves to MAKE the invitation cards by hand. We wanted people to feel that they were not just another guest. Since one of my cousins was overseas and could not make it, I made sure I sent one to him. Well, believe it or not, that got his parents really bent out of shape. :nuts:

His parents (my uncle & aunt) actually went marching to my grandmother to complain about my impertinence. According to them, the invitation must be from my mother and ONLY they should receive it. It was sacrilegious for me to send a card to my cousin, even if they also received one.

In fact, they rejected the card I sent to them earlier, merely because I addressed it to them as my uncle and aunt, instead of being from my mother. Just how petty is that? :doh:

If I had my way, I would have told them NOT to bother attending. Uncle and auntie, I mean no disrespect but this is MY wedding, okay? It should be a celebration of two people becoming a family, not about stroking your ego. :mad:

But if you think that's incredibly rude and petty, that's just ONE incident involving a single card. We actually had some complaints about our cards addressing only Mr & Mrs X.

Why? Because we didn't include their children or family members in the card. They even asked if that means they are not allowed to bring their children or family members along. O.M.G. They actually wanted us to list down EVERYONE in their family on a small card!!! :shock: :shock: :nuts:

Seriously, that's what RSVP is for. You are supposed to CALL US and let us know if you are coming and if you are bringing anyone else with you. We can't be listing your family tree in our invitation card. For that, we would need a freaking BIG poster, wouldn't we??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you think these are uneducated hillbillies, you would be surprised. These are well-educated professionals. The hillbillies were the ones that were impeccably polite and considerate. My hats off to them. It only goes to show that there are some things you just can't teach in a university. :roll:

Well, enough ranting about petty people and their bruised egos. I still have a wedding to prepare for! :mrgreen:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Complains or just equiries? Regarding the Mr and Mrs. X, because I would ask that as well, just in case, you know...Some married couples could be just as petty, not refering to you of course!

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

ooo ... traditional ppl ... pemikiran kolot.. haha

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

oh well some ppl have different mind set.
    and
    Happy planning!

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm going Adrian and I'm not bringing anyone! :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Can I bring my family?

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Whoah! I didn't know that planning for a wedding is sooo difficult task!

Anyway, I hope the celebration is well-planned and enjoyment to the maximum! :)

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Dunno my uncles, aunties and sister want to come or not... haa... and friends. :think:

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Am I invited?

10. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

We had similar issues when we got married. Our invites were hand written with a caligraphy pen be yours truly and there was one instance of complaint as to why it was illegible...:haha:

We paid for all of our own wedding, no hand outs, no asking for volunteers with simple tasks and it still amazes me that people can be as you said "petty".

All that said, Our wedding was a wonderful, albeit hot, September day that I will never forget, even though it seemed a blur almost as if I was wearing blinders like a horse or tunnel vision.

What it all boils down to is that you and the future Mrs. Wong do it for each other... It's the two of you that are exchanging vows to live the rest of your lives as one. All those other sour puss people are well just that...

Good luck Adrian!:hug: I wish you the best!:beer:

11. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:roll:

......... yeah! What he said.:)

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Adrian, please.. it's your special day so you MUST not get angry or sad over this :D

i knew both of you made the card by hand upon opening the envelope. thing made with sincerity is the most beautiful and precious one will ever receive! half of the friends i know wouldnt even bother to take up the scissor! both of you are special :thumb: these ppl have the same IQ as Nazri

Cheers!! :thumb: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

13. A common practice here in our country is to get a wedding planner. He or she doesn't have to be the for hire type, mind you. Most often, it's the best friend that assumes that responsibility.

The anxiety and anticipation will just continue to mount as the day nears and more so on the day itself. Both you and your bride should ideally just sit back and make yourselves look your best. After all, a wedding is just an event in your marriage. :thumb:

My heartfelt congratulations to you and your bride!!! :clap: :beer:

14. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

If I got a invit, Even though I could not make it I would save it forever.:) :wave:

15. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Can I bring my dog? :wicked: :wicked: :wicked:

16. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Just a little anecdote of what my uncle and his wife said to me this a couple of weeks before they got married...

Uncle: "When you get married, ask your parents and her parents for permission to elope."
    His then wife-to-be: "Ya, either that or get a wedding planner."
    :mrgreen:

17. Chai

LOL! That will never happen for Chinese parents.

18. cypris

cypris Newbie

To tell you the truth, if i were you, i'd probably tell them to not come for the wedding. xD That'd save me some extra money to spend on my honeymoon. Because, like you said, it'd be "my" wedding, and I'll do as I please. xD I know I'd really be able to go through with it because my dad is also that sort of person and would probably support me in my decision if I really happen to do something like that heh. :D

19. Adrian Wong

Complained to the parents actually. They didn't ask if they could bring their children. They were saying, "Why you only put our names there? So, this means I cannot bring xxx or yyy?" :roll:

20. Adrian Wong

Sure! Why not? The more the merrier. :mrgreen: