Pictures from my Beijing Trip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jwsk, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Haha... :D yeah... no pictures of his corpse! You can only visit `him'. It's quite an irony... they say that the entrance to the Mao's Mauseleum is free. Okay... fair enough but then there's a rule... no bags and cameras are allowed to be brought in. You must leave it at the baggage counter for safekeeping. The thing about that is the fees charged for keeping your bags and digital stuffs are exhorbitant. I paid 20RMB (RM10) just for keeping a bag, digital camera and a camera stand.

Anyway, here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure!

Pic 21 - This is the Mao's Mauseleum (what is a mauseleum by the way?) where his corpse is publicly displayed to those who wish to pay their last respects to China's most recognized public figure. Entrance is free but they charge you for safekeeping your bags and valuables.

Pic 22 - Ohh... this is the famous Chinese dumplings. The restaurant is walking distance from Wang Fu Jing and they serve delicious dumplings for a very affordable price. We ate 20 tummy filling dumplings of various types for only 28RMB (RM14)

Pic 23 - Ahh... this is their delicious `Chang'. It's a rice dumpling and it's soo soooo tasty!!! One of this pork rice dumpling costs only 2RMB (RM1)... and they even have nuts dumpling, red bean and other kinds.

Pic 24 - Okay, this red bean paste `pau' is also available at most street stalls. It's huge, tasty (though tad a little oily) and cheap! For 0.80RMB (40 cents) you could enjoy this pau with loads and loads of red bean paste.

Pic 25 - This is food aboard China Airlines. They have Chicken rice or Fish with rice. It tastes quite good actually... no complaints over here.

I didn't manage to take pictures of their famous Nanjing beer but it tastes really good (for those who loves to drink beer). It has this very smooth taste and since the weather there is already cold, the beer appears chilled all the time!!!! How much for a big bottle!!!? Only 4RMB (RM2) even in the most exquisite and expensive restaurant... only because the price of this particular beer is fixed at 4RMB. Ooooh.... makes me wanna go there again!!!!

Attached Files:

2. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

RM1800 very very good price indeed!

alrighty then i must make it a point to bug my mates to go this december... heheheh

3. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

btw if its a charity auction how can you still get it as such low price? i thought people would be driving up the price

4. jinongman

jinongman Newbie

hmm... RM1800...
    really really must backpack there someday... :cool:
    but 1st... must ask tips from jwsk... :thumb:

5. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Haha... good question. Actually, China Airlines gave away 4 free tickets to Beijing to MAKNA (A non-profit organization for cancer patients) The price started from some RM50 and went all the way up to about RM850. All proceeds from the auction would go to MAKNA.

The thing that wasn't so appealing to most people would be the restrictions of the air ticket. It's a closed ticket and departure dates cannot be changed once the dates are booked. Also, the tickets have to be used 3 months from date of purchase and departure dates cannot coincide with national or public holidays.

6. jinongman

jinongman Newbie

so it was rm850 for a 2way ticket ?

7. wodenus

wodenus Banned

A mausoleum is basically a tomb. It's a place where they put a coffin if they don't bury it. :)

8. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Yeah... actually, I got 2 tickets at the auction. I won one at RM800 and another at RM950. So each would cost RM875 - not inclusive of airport tax and fuel surcharge. Yup... it's for both ways! Flight tickets are usually return tickets unless specifically requested by passenger and only dispatched with a valid reason.

9. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Okay... here are even more pictures of my trip...

Pic 26 - Oh yeah... should have posted this up much earlier. The willow trees. You can find it everywhere - in parks, streets. I guess the Chinese people loves this tree. It's really nice when there's wind blowing and you can see the leaves swaying away - a very calming effect.

Pic 27 - The Beijing International Airport - like any other airports I guess but this is to give you a picture as to how it look like.

Pic 28 - Yeah! Shopping!!! Shopping is definitely a must activity in Beijing. Shops are pratically everywhere and people are clapping hands and shouting trying to grab your attention. You can easily bargain for a cheaper price than what is displayed in most shops.

Pic 29 - Haha... :D Happy Birthday to me!!! Yeah, my birthday happened to fall on the same day I met up with my friend in Peking University. So, we all celebrated my birthday there. Notice the very unique candle? It's long and thin - unlike the ones you find here.

Pic 30 - This is Nicole Yang Wei Ling. She's now pursuing her Masters in International Relations in Peking University.

Attached Files:

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, willows are VERY nice. :thumb:

I think we should plant more trees. :shifty:

11. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

One word BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :thumb:

12. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Hahaha... thank you Elton!!! :wave:

13. Adrian Wong