Problematic access point...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by NeoSquall, Jan 10, 2006.

1. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

I have a problem with my access point.. my problem is that each time when there is a sudden blackout... then the electric comes back to life in about 5mins time.. and when I switch on the comp... my access point just refuse to pick up the signal my router is giving.. it always appear as cannot find wireless network... or no wireless network detected... even tho my wireless router is on... I have to switch off everything and wait for like 30mins or sometimes even 2hrs... then only it becomes ok... it happens only sometimes when I switch my electricity off.. yes I did shutdown my comp..

can anyone explain wat is wrong with my access point? Im having a headache...

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Did you set many networks in your wireless LAN utility?

When the router starts up, it may take a few minutes to set up the network and send the signal to the access point. The access point will take a moment to start broadcasting too.

If you have quite a few networks set up, the WiFi card may not be able to connect to your local network and start looking for the other networks. It may take some time before it cycles through the list and retries your network. If so, you can try manually forcing the WiFi card to try your network, instead of the others.

3. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

no.. I have only one network... I've never swtich my router off at all... Ive waited once for about an hour and it still cannot detect my wireless network...

Ive used my laptop to check tho... there is only one wireless network here and tat is mine... there isnt any others... problem here is... it doesnt detect any wireless network.. even tho if I try manually connecting it.. I pressed refresh again and again... it just says "no wireless network detected"... but if I swtich my comp off and come back after a while... have there a wireless network.. oh yeah.. when there is "no wireless network" shown.. I used my laptop and try to see is there a wireless network or not.. and there is... it reaches to the place where my desktop is...

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. That's odd. :think:

But your notebook wireless card has no problem connecting? :think:

If you can get a different AP or wireless router, try it and see.

But if your notebook wireless card works just fine, then it's possible you have a problem with the wireless card in your desktop. :think:

5. prasys

prasys Newbie

Mind telling me the model and the maker of the AP/Router

First thing I would do is change the mode from G (if its a .g enabled AP) , to .b (do not put it as mixed or pure G). See if that fixes it , if it does not. Then try changing the channels , if that fails. Then you need to mess around with Fragmentation Threshold and RTS Threshold

6. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

my router is D-link.. I forgot watz my AP.. hahaha...

hmm.. i tried everything that you suggested tho.. doesnt work.. I have to just off da whole comp and wait for a few mins then it works again...

7. luqman

luqman Newbie

this is basiclly a problem w/ur router,modem or wat ever the thing is u need a surge protector or a UPS that way u don't mess up ur router or modem! it happend to me once! these things are very sensitive u need to unplug evrything that was plugged in when the power went out and plug back in after evrything is settled :thumb:

8. prasys

prasys Newbie

So , does your AP support those extras like RTS

9. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

ahh! I found a person who is suffering the same fate as me and understands my problem.. ahhaha... thx u luqman.. kakaka...

10. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

As my experience D-link always giving this problem "no wireless network detect" when you are not using D-link wireless card something else with D-link brand.

What you can do is try to reset all your D-link router setting and configure again, after that reinstall the drives in your laptop or desktop that you want to connect to that wireless network.

D-link have a big problem compatible with other brand network stuff. Hope it work after the reset. :think: