Quieting the PC

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Chai, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Honestly, I've been quiet sick of the noises from the fan and HDD, either clicking or whirling noise. I can't take it anymore!!!

Currently looking at Scythe fans and HDD silencing products. I think quieting the HDD can be really easy and cheap, the noise mostly comes from the vibration of the drive (most new HDDs come with FDB). Something as simple as putting rubber in between the HDD and the case is good enough. Or maybe I should just get a new case? (my case is over 7 years old!) :haha:

Anyone here has any experience quieting your system?

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i think you should post a pic of your system (parts that vibrates)

would make the discussion a little easier..

3. Chai

Really? You probably need to be here to know the true story...

Most of the noise comes from the fan, and the vibration from the HDD. I was quite shock of the noise by just mounting on to the case. So I obviously need better fans, and better material to absorb the vibration.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page1.html

I'm not sure if I have the courage to custom make my own one, but I don't mind paying for simple rubber washers to absorb the noise, I think it's cheap and effective way to reduce vibrations from the HDD.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:haha: that's the way i mount my water pump :thumb:

best ever!

i tried rubber & sponge. none of them beats this "hanging" method. but you need something thats strong & elastic. i used wire (rubber + copper thread)

5. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

After changing my Casing's Fan, my pc is so damn quiet than I sometimes though it was off:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

No vibration problems from my HD since my casing mounting is rubberised to begin with hehehe:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. GarPhreak

GarPhreak Newbie

If it's that bad then by all means get a new case... We all know you're LICH enuff! :twisted: :haha:

Otherwise you could try foam, or perhaps mounting tape? I used some small cut-out pieces of a foam band-aid for my CPU-fan, made a WHOLE lot of difference... :faint: :thumb:

Never occured to me to try silencing the HDD... :think: The sandwiching method seems a bit risky tho', how do you know when it's clamped tight enough?
    [and don't say, "When you hear something crack..." :faint:]

7. Chai

Pictures?

Falcone: I value performance as much as low noise, so switching to quiet fans alone do not solve my problem.

I prefer better ways of silencing the HDD then just use the rubber washer methods IF I have other options. I thought of using that thick grey rubber band to 'hang' the HDD in the mid-air like the one in the link. Where can I get those rubber bands?

Fortunately, Seagate HDDs are very famous for quiet idle noise, seek noise doesn't annoy me as much because it's good to know the HDD is running hard without needing to look at the LED all the time, and it doesn't occur very often because I have enough RAM. :p

Nah, I prefer silencing the system without changing the case. Take it as a challenge first. :D

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I dun have a camera that I can use now. my the other 2 camera went holland adi :faint: will try to get one from housemate..

9. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I'm just stating my case as an example, it's up to you, plus I didn't do it(reduce noise) for me since noise is not my issue but because I have to share the room with someone else who mind, and since that guy is not complaining anymore I presume it worked. And I'm just stating I never hard any problem on HD noise from my PC probably because of the vibration reduction rubber between my HD and the casing.....giving u some ideas of maybe getting similar casing only.:faint: :faint: :faint:

10. mrak21

mrak21 Newbie

Hard drive suspension made a huge difference even in my case which had rubber grommits on the hard drive bays. This picture shows a rather precarious :pray: arrangement with standard brown rubber bands just to see what it would sound like. If anyone finds a good source of synthetic rubber bands let me know (brown natural ones perish after a while).

Attached Files:

11. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

Go buy a koolance case ! :haha:

actually im considering zalman reselator 1 plus myself......do we have this in malaysia ?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  12. Chai

Something I won't mind doing except that I cannot take the risk of the rubber bands snapping...

13. mrak21

mrak21 Newbie

I've put the drive back now :mrgreen:

14. Chai

LOL! I just found out that something as simple as removing the noisy drive solve 50% of the noise problem. Now trying to get another quiet HDD and quieter fans...

15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm so used to my pc if i silent my pc i'm scared i cant sleep :d

16. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

How are your drives mounted in your case? In my Lian Li, I ended up putting strips of home insulation between the HDD cage and the case and the annoying vibrations from my two drives were all but gone. That, a Seasonic PSU, Panaflo low speed case fans, adjustable CPU fan and a passive heatsink on my video card (I've been downgraded to a TNT2 M64...would you believe the 9800SE died for like the 4th or 5th time?) and it's still too noisy for me! Geesh, at this rate I'm gonna have to get a Mac for quiet....:p.

17. Chai

I think it's much easier to quiet down with a PC because you get to customise.

My HDD is directly mounted onto the case metal to metal. I can do better than that, but my case is 7 years old... :haha:

I need quieter HDD, fans, and maybe a new case.

18. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i'm one who spends more to quiet the system than to make it more powerful. :)

the only thing i've not gotten is the Akasa PaxMate. anyone interested in bulking it? :D

anyway previously my system was running 3x 120mm fan and 80mm on SLK900U

here's my latest setup
    1. replaced CM 120mm blue LED top-exhaust fan with Silverstone FM121
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-fm121.htm

2. replaced X800GT stock fan / sink with the Zalman lookalike. :)

3. since i've upgraded the system, i'm now using the Ninja Scythe fanless.

4. PSU is running CM 450W RealPower
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article205-page1.html

5. Vantec Nexus for fan controller, while Akasa All-In-One for fan monitoring (speed / alarm. temp sensor)

hehe. yeah. that's my setup. right now - it's just the mobo chipset fan making noise (hate ABIT chipset fans). i just don't feel like removing the system yet, will be replacing it with my CM Blue Ice (laying around for like 2 years now)

:) love it. in silent mode you'll need to need to come pretty near to see if it's powered. or at least, see the lights to know it's on.

silent OCed unit on 24/7 folding.

no noise from the hard disk though, it's an 80GB WD drive, 7200 RPM 8MB buffer. i think it's the WD800JB model. //can't remember

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

interetsing .. my imfamous WD1200JB is noisy .. sigh ..

btw, how much did the Silverstone FM121 & the CM 450W RealPower cost you ? :think:

20. Chai

Nah, I haven't close my case for a few years...