Read any interesting books lately?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Leian, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Hey all! :wave:

Those of you who know me know that I'm a bibliomaniac -- I love books! Particularly fantasy, sci-fi and self-development/inspirational books.

We've got threads on movies, food, music...So I thought we ought to have a thread about books!

So what have you been reading lately that you've found interesting?

I recently read The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall. It's a wonderful little, thought-provoking book. Nothing earth-shaking in there, but simple life lessons to put things back in perspective. (More details on that site -- no, I'm not making any money out of this! :haha: ) I'm gonna get my brothers to read it. :thumb:

Another great book I've come across is Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss -- a book that's taught me the importance of punctuation in clarifying meaning! Poor peaz has been forced to bear my teasing ever since I read that book -- I'll bet he regrets pointing it out to me! I played the game (on the site) and came out 83% stickler! :haha:

I could go on, but I'll stop here -- your turn. :mrgreen:

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Man Are From Mars, Woman Are From Venus - John Gray (Thanks Ken & Leian) :D

Previously: As The Crow Flies - Jeffrey Archer (Mahakanjus STOLE It From Me), The Millionaire Mind - Thomas J.Stanley

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Now reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. :thumb:

Very interesting look at secret societies and the institution of the Roman Catholic Church again. :thumb:

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=eD6tE8AAZm&isbn=1400032717&itm=1

[​IMG]

this a very interesting book even revolving an autistic child. You really can see and understand how an autistic child see and view things...

Highly recommended book from me if you want something fresh, honest and interesting.

Next interesring book I'm looking forward to get is this.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=eD6tE8AAZm&isbn=0786868716&itm=1

[​IMG]

Some notes from the Publisher...
    From the author of the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie, a novel that explores the unexpected connections of our lives, and the idea that heaven is more than a place; it's an answer.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"​

5. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

I want to borrow The Five People You Meet in Heaven when you're done with it!

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

no interesting books .. been reading text/reference books only :(

7. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

last book i read was digital fortress.....now i'm reading lord of the rings....i cant think of any book to get now...i'm contemplating a stephen king book.......and if u consider classic java data structure by timothy budd as a book then i read that all the time...

8. peaz

:wall:

well, dun try and give the excuse of no time... even 15mins per day is good enough to enjoy a good book. :)

go get any one of these books stated here so far.. they are all good.

Here's another that I've read that I find interesting.
    A bit more technical.. but it's good info especially techies

The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=eD6tE8AAZm&isbn=076454280X&itm=1
    [​IMG]

9. hyper_raider

i heard bout tat book...looks interesting..i wanna get it.....

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

haha kevin mitnick .. haha .. :p
    took dunno how many years to capture him :p

heh ... haha .. spend my 15m on books instead or ARP can la.. LOL .. but i'm addicted to ARP .. :|

11. peaz

pengsan(faints) :wall:

please only post interesting books from now on. I don't wanna see post of reading reference books from school... :wall:

ok. here's another that I've read that I found interesting.

Monkey Business: Swinging through the Wall Street Jungle by John Rolfe, Peter Troob
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=eD6tE8AAZm&isbn=0446676950&itm=1
    [​IMG]

It's a humorous book telling the tales and crazy 'adventures' these two former investment bankers gone thru during their days in DLJ .... a good book to read to know a bit more about the corporate world and how 'twisted' they can be at times form a different perspective.

12. Zen

Zen Das lässige Schwein

Finally after being away for the pass few days... i finished the fourth volume of The Vampire Diaries; a series of four books written by L. J. Smith.

Volume 1 - The Awakening
    Volume 2 - The Struggle
    Volume 3 - The Fury
    Volume 4 - Dark Reunion

The story basically revolves around afew characters;
    Stefan and Damon who are brother's and vampires from the 15th century. Elena, who vowed to have Stefan. And her loyal friends, Bonnie, Meredith, and Matt.

This story is a story about love and friends in the mist of a crisis. :mrgreen:

13. Zen

Zen Das lässige Schwein

Other books that i have read;

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself by Florence Littauer

14. hyper_raider

i'm back to reading fellowship of the rings now....

15. wilfred

wilfred wilfblog.blogspot.com

oooh... i like books, haven't read any of late cause i can't bear to part with rm30 just to have 2 days of reading material...

stuff i've read, david eddings (Belgariad Series, Mallorean Series), Anne Rice (Vampire Chronicles), ____ Gibson (idoru, ...etc)

not very good with remembering the authors and titles, just the stories, hence the ______ for idoru, ...etc

love scifi, fantasy...

btw, do you all rent the books/borrow from friends/buy the books?

16. Adrian Wong

Oooh.. You read David Eddings too. :thumb:

I found his Elenium and Tamuli series to be very entertaining. :thumb:

I prefer to buy my books as I always re-read them. :mrgreen:

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

I'm a blardy cheapskate so I resort to borrowing from nice people like Leian,Ken or Zen. :Runs & Hide:

18. wilfred

wilfred wilfblog.blogspot.com

Hahaha wanted to read those but didn't buy them so had to scavenge whatever volumes i could form novel house.. so it's all one big mess and i can't follow the story.

Yeah... unfortunately most my friends don't read books except for magazines... tons and tons of magazines...

anyone care to donate some books to a poor soul who's got no books to read? PM me for my address.... :mrgreen:

19. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Well, I buy only second-hand books since I can't afford new ones.

You would be surprised at the great deals you can get on second-hand books. Often, you can get hard cover books in practically brand-new condition for a pittance. :thumb:

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I bought a few cheap books from Popular that until now, I still haven't touch. :thumb:

Interesting books I've read so far:

1) A Knight in Shining Armor - Jude Deveraux :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2) The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown :clap:

3) Angels and Demons - Dan Brown :beer:

From now on, no need to buy book already. :lol: