Recommend me a mobo

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by SkylineRemix, Oct 16, 2007.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi,
    It's me again. This time i'm helping a friend of mine to come out with a list of specs for a new comp. Budget would be RM2500 and below with LCD Monitor (15 or 17 inch).

Anyway, i'm here to ask if anyone can recommend me a reliable mobo with better chipset. I know there are quite a lot of chipset in the market and some of them are really sucky. I also heard things like nForce chipset gives lots of problem on Intel board (which is also the board i'm using currently but so far don't really have any problems).

Conclusion, i need a motherboard pricing about RM200-300 (LGA775). Thanks

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Any 965 boards will do. Check out the P5B - they are around RM300 and they are getting cheaper. Biostar's 965 also works nice.:thumb:

If you want even the cheaper solution, Gigabyte 945GCMX boards help, but the 945 is quite dated already so there's not much for you if you overclock. :thumb:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

*cough* P35 based *cough*

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Too expensive. :haha:

Yup, I second The_YongGrand's suggestion.

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

well... i have some of them in mind.

Asus P5B-MX (i946GZ)
    MSI MS7236 (i945PL)
    Gigabyte 8I945GCMX-S2 (i945GC)
    Biostar (i945GZ)

6. The_YongGrand

These boards are fine - but if you can squeeze a little bit more, you might get an Asus P5B. The P5B from the old stocks are getting dirt cheap. :thumb:

7. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

what about mobo for AMD? any suggestion?

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

One more thing... I need to find a compatible PSU too... budget for PSU is around RM100

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. IMHO, it's better you settle on a platform (AMD AM2 or Intel 775) before you decide on the motherboard.

10. The_YongGrand

Decide on which processor you want to use first. That way will be easier to decide on the board. :thumb:

11. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

Go for more amps on the 12v rail, that's the most important, the wattage is not likely to be an issue, but if you don't have enough amp's it can really create problems.

12. The_YongGrand

Yeah, agreed on this. Look at the 12V1 and 12V2 rails too (or more if they have multi-rails). :thumb:

13. jomuj

jomuj Official BOG Supporter!

Multi rails become difficult to understand, there is no way real way to compare them. Just go for the best you can afford and you should be fine as long as you don't have any high load items, such as a powerful graphics card or overclocked processor.

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Nope... it won't be use for overclocking...
    As for the PSU, i can only think of CoolerMaster Extreme 430 Watt...

15. The_YongGrand

coolermaster is okay. How about an Acbel or those Fortron? :D

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Chieftech seems quite okay too.

17. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Acbel E2 True Power? haha... sorry... cuz i only check the pricelist from cycom.

Haven't heard of this brand before...

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Looking at your specs, a 350-400W is already more than enough cause the rig won't even be overclocked. A 350-400W unit (not chapalang of course) will do perfectly fine :)

On my C2D rig, the crap 550W PSU (which only has around 350W actual) runs perfectly fine until I heavily overclock my processor and increase the vcore to 1.55-1.6V, this is when there is a massive droop on the 12V rail and the whole rig crashed when it was priming :haha:

The rig consists of:
    Core 2 Duo E6850
    Abit IP35 Pro
    ATI Radeon X1800XL
    3 HDD
    1 DVD-RW
    bla bla bla...