Second router... unable to access

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Redaytorock, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Redaytorock

Redaytorock Newbie

Hi.

I have a (new) wireless Linksys router which I am using as my primary, and for the reason I will explain at the end, I added my (old) D-Link wired router to the mix... meaning, I daisy chained the two.

Correct or not, all I did to get the wired router going, was to run a straight thru cat5 from a LAN port of the wireless router to a LAN port of the wired router et voila, it worked just fine... total internet access from the just added wired router.

However... isn't there always a however? My Playstation 2 won't connect (thru added router)... it complains of a DNS server thing. What to do to remedy this?

Plus, while I am able to access the Linksys router (my primary) at 192.168.1.1, I can't connect to the D-Link - 192.168.0.1. I know someone will surely tell me to turn off the DHCP in the second router, and as much as I would like to comply, I can't get into it to do this.

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments and of course, any help.

As for the reason why I added the wired router, I find that the wireless drops the connection every once in a while which is quite frustrating when one goes thru a whole NCAA college football game leading by two touchdowns only to have the connection crap out with 7 seconds to play and end up with a loss. I realize it's not a big deal, just annoying. I was hoping that if I plugged the PS2 into the wired router, it would stabilize things the way they were when it was the primary router.

Thanks very much.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

To turn off DHCP in one router, you must first disconnect the other router and use a PC to directly access the said router to disable DHCP.

Then reconnect the router with the disabled DHCP to the other router.

3. Redaytorock

Redaytorock Newbie

Thanks for the quick comeback.

I believe I did as you said, but unfortuately, I was still unable to connect to the second router (192.168.0.1).

- I disconnected the DSL from the router (wireless) I was currently using.
    - Plugged it into the WAN of the to be added router (wired).
    -Connected PC to (wired) router LAN port.
    -Tried to access 192.168.0.1 (wired) but to no avail.

Either it's me or it just wasn't meant to be. Consequently, I just reconnected everything to the wireless and continued as was.

Thanks anyway.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh, to connect to the router you want DHCP disabled, all you need to do is just connect one cable from your computer to that router. There's no need for the modem or the other router to be connected.

You will need to manually set the computer's connection to use the IP of 192.168.1.x (where x can be any number from 2 to 999). Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1.

Then try accessing 192.168.1.1 on your web browser.