Street view GPS on the rise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karhoe, Oct 28, 2008.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Kar Hoe's Blog - Street view GPS on the rise

Not long ago, Blaupunkt released the latest their latest GPS navigation device, a breaktrhough in GPS navigation which combines satellite data with an integrated camera on the GPS device so that the direction can be plotted on the road shown in the device LCD screen. Apart from being able to plot the navigation arrows on the road, this device has the ability to 'capture' the speed limit on the sign boards and warn you if you exceeded the speed limit (Speed tracked by GPS are very accurate)

[​IMG]

Watch the YouTube video here.
    YouTube - Blaupunkt TravelPilot 500 & 700

It would make driving on the road easier since if you doubt the voice navigation, you can always catch a glimpse of the LCD screen to ensure you are on the right track. Though it's really a great idea, I am really concerned on how it would work at night.

Anyway, Iphone is cathching up in this area with rumours saying that their upcoming new firmware would feature streetview video navigation, same concept as the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot.

[​IMG]

So if this seems to be the trend, it won't be long before others like Garmin adopt this and soon we will see this on a Windows Mobile device :D

2. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

sounds cool. but the good thing is to only check speed limits? hmm.

now i would prefer Malaysian traffic cameras to be linked to GPS systems here (usually done with mobile network data usage); like they do in certain city states in the US.

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I read somewhere that this system has been adopted by the new BMWs in Europe... Hmmm sounds interesting but... practicality? What would be really cool would be a overlay images on the actual windshield, like a jet fighter cockpit HUD :D

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

the road view won't be in real time, I guess?

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think this is good, because it relies on the camera. If the camera is a wide angle one, then if wont be able to show far ahead. This will be a problem if you are driving fast.

The current GPS can zoom in and out of the map depending on your speed. You can't do that with this camera system.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I think BMW already have HUD technology.

7. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It's using the integrated camera, so ya real time

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, it's just a matter of time before things improve :D

9. Chai

But not GPS. :p

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I thought all luxury cars now have GPS as a necessity?

IINM, there's one benz that I watched on TV, the speedmeter is actually shown on a LCD screen instead of the conventional meter which seats infront of the steering (the LCD is placed there)

And then it can also act as a night vision navigator, can see the road ahead in IR

11. Chai

I'm actually talking about HUD based GPS like how Blaupunkt GPS works.

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

On in that case, Blaupunkt is really the first in this technology

13. Chai

I don't know if they are the first. I thought Google has that with iphone also?

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

You mean google iphone street view thingy? I thought it's in the upcoming firmware which is not really out yet.