system maintenance is tiring

Discussion in 'General Software' started by octaves, Jun 9, 2006.

1. fyire

fyire Newbie

The only connection that you wish to be made is the FUD that I am refering to. It is as if you are asserting that any attempts to switch to anything else will always end up worse, especially given the comparisons that you had chosen to use.

Basically, updates is about the only thing that needs to be done. But if you're to look at the original post, that is only one item of the entire list of grumbles.

Tell me something. How many different systems have you used before apart from Windows? Anybody familiar with unix can tell you that the filesystems available on different unix systems are not effected by disk fragmentation, unlike what you're asserting here. More FUD Perhaps?

Hardware that cannot be tweaked? How much research have you actually done on this? Sure, maybe not to the extend of self assembled machines if you're to get an actual Mac from Apple. Next, looks like you're also not aware that its possible for hobbyists to assemble their own Macs too.

Hmm... next item I guess will be tweakable OS, to the point of your own customized kernel too.

Try showing me XP Pro for less :D

It is like Chai is very fond of saying, every system has its pros and cons, different ppl have different requirements and preferences that determine which systems is suitable for them.

This is not about Mac vs Windows, but more on your FUD on any attempts to look at alternatives to Windows will always end up for the worse.

2. fyire

fyire Newbie

Gimme price for OEM Windows XP Pro :lol:

Obviously speaking out of ignorance :haha:

Duh :nuts: Tell me, can you get OEM if you wish to upgrade your OS but keep your existing hardware? :D

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you are trying to say 'upgrade your hardware, while keeping your existing OS?' :think:

4. fyire

fyire Newbie

Actually no, was refering to upgrading OS while keeping old hardware (as you can only get OEM prices with purchase of new hardware).

But looks like you managed another point too here. You cant keep your old OEM licensing if you upgrade your motherboard.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, you can always get a cheap component...

I think not being able to keep the OEM license is a much bigger issue, as hardware outdates a lot faster than OS these days, especially when WinXP was released back in 2001. I can't even remember what my PC was like back then! :haha:

6. fyire

fyire Newbie

heck.. i'm still kicking myself for paying SGD 900 for a Pentium 90 yonks ago...

But I do miss the PC that I had back in 2001 though. Using one of those classic BP6 motherboards, dual Celeron :)

7. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

It's still cheaper. You can't even get OEM OS X. And yes, there's a way to upgrade the system or OS and still use the OEM license. Legal too. As for the grumbles :

Virus definitions : don't have them. No virus scanner/cleaner over here.

Windows updates : Mac has updates too.

scandisk : been a while since I've done that.

Cleanup : been a while since I've done that too.

Defrag : ditto

Upgrades : have to do that for the Mac too.

So Mac or PC, it's all the same to me. But the PCs are cheaper :)

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

I dont want to see this as a mac vs pc thing..

9. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Mac, Windows, Unix/Linux, all are the same, all have the same problems. I've used all three, and faced problems with all three. 'Nuff said.

Windows is no better than Mac which is no better than Linux, depending on the user's personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  10. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

believe it or not.. i like to do those kind of work :nuts:

11. octaves

octaves Newbie

Yes, i too want to keep the system in good shape. But its just so frustrating when the scheduled tasks failed to run and i see that in the morning. For instance i need to defrag my system often, so i cant do it during the day when am using it. I set it up for the night and wake up to see it stuck on x%. Aaah guess no short cut to these things. I fixed the problem anyways. Thanks.