Talk about cars and motoring here!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, May 24, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. About time for a thread about cars and motoring. Let's keep it rolling with questions and answers.

Okay, my car has 15" sports rims which, I think, make it look a lot nicer than it really is. :haha:

But I was wondering.. what are the pros and cons of larger rims vs. smaller ones? :think:

Yeah, my chat with Jeremy and Chai two weeks back got me thinking about it. :mrgreen:

2. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

my oh my those two can surely corrupt a person.

who is the master and who is the apprentice?

3. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Seriously... what are the pros and cons?

I found 15" rims to look really nice, at least on my Proton Wira... but I think they said that 15" may be pushing it? :think:

4. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

ok a noob here.

large rims looks nice. small rim looks dull :mrgreen: but small rims means more thick tyre so more comfortable compare to very thin tyres. :)

5. bizkid21

bizkid21 Newbie

wat model is ur wira? i think 15" for wira is ok, wont be affect much on the car.

having a larger rims on ur car will affect ur FC if the rims is too big for the car, and ur speed meter will affect also, ur actual speed will not b so accurate. and it also affect ur car pick up also, coz when the rims get bigger the weight also get heavier.

6. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

yup... tyres with higher sidewalls are able to absorb the bumps better than those with lower sidewalls. 15" on wiras seem to be ok to me. you'll have to live with slightly lower sidewalls and a speedo thats not accurate (not to say they were accurate to begin with anyway)

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Affect the fuel consumption? How so? And what effect are we talking about? More fuel consumption or less?

Well, I think my sports rims are made from metal alloy so it should be lighter than the standard steel wheels.

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Won't tyre pressure affect drive comfort? I'm keeping the pressure relatively low...

Hmm.. The speedometer is not accurate? So, the reading will be less.. or more?? :think:

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm .. thicker tyres are better for comfort..
    the tyre preasure must be too low esp. if you are going on long journeys..
    low preasure tyres heat up faster if i'm not mistaken

usually you need to calibrate the speedometer when your tyre size is different :haha:
    hmm .. i think bigger tyres will show "lower" speed on the speedometer..

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Changing rims should not affect the speedometer much if the tyre size remained the same.

Heavier rims will affect the performance and the fuel consumption. Bigger rims normally means heavier.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ask adrian to go for three piece ones.... :wicked:

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

3 piece :think: it that a joke :think: ?

or do you mean by 3 spokes ? .. or whatever its called :think:

maybe adrian should go lap his rims :p

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. The tyre size should be the same. :think:

Looks like lots of disadvantages for larger rims. No advantages? :think:

14. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Generally if you maintain the diameter of your rollers, your speedometer reading shouldn't be affected. The rule of thumb is to reduce as much unsprung weight as possible to improve handling dynamics and also to reduce rolling inertia however I'm not sure about the latter. Anyway on the issue of tyre pressure, always keep to the recommended value specified by the manufacturer for effective use of your rubbers and to prolong its life but for me, it's always extra 5PSI for city driving and if outstation trips are involved, I'll reduce the air pressure by 10PSI of the recommended setting to factor in the tyre expansion from the heated air.

15. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

If your speedometer is inaccurate, you CAN re-calibrate it....

16. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

The advantages are lower wheel weight and less scewing of the tires when turning at high speed.
    Thus better high speed performance/handling on paved roads (at the cost of comfort and costlier tires).

/Olle

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I thought alloy wheels would actually be lighter than standard steel wheels? Even if they have wide rims?

18. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

Thats Why People Buy High Quality Rims. Which Is EXtremely Light. :)

19. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

195/50/15 is just perfect for your car. :thumb:

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wanted that for my old car too...