The ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Chai, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Er.....the hardware optimization on the R360 only applies in 3DMark03 :mrgreen: You won't see any differences in games or other applications ;)

I tested the 9800XT bios on my R350 9800Pro. 3DMark03 shows weird artifacts(and got higher scores of course :lol: ) while other games/app doesn't. This shows that the hardware optimizations only applies on 3DMark03 :lol:

IMHO flashing the 9800XT bios is pretty pointless except you want higher 3DMark03 scores and temperature monitoring/overdrive :mrgreen:

2. Nope, don't want any of those. However, thanks for the input. Though, I'm still gonna consider flashing to change the core/mem values as I don't know of any Ati Linux overclocking utilities..............unless someone can throw me a bone on that one. :mrgreen:

3. PeterV

PeterV Newbie

I have a FireGL X1-256 (9700 or 9700pro?).
    Can anyone tell me how to get it to be a normal 9700Pro?
    Flashing...RivaTuner...???
    I got it second hand and have no interest in the FireGL aspect of its value. I want to be able to run Catalyst drivers etc.

Thanks

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think you need to flash your FireGL X1 with the 9700Pro Bios and install the catalyst driver and thats all :mrgreen: That should work ;)

wait.....you have a FireGL X1-256? the 256MB version is using a different PCB which is designed to fit into the AGP Pro slot :mrgreen: Er.....the 9700Pro/9700 bios may not work :think:

5. PeterV

PeterV Newbie

Yes the FireGL X1-256 is AGP Pro, though from what I have heard that is only used for the extra power source.(?).
    What 9700pro BIOS should be used/tried? I did download a Gigabyte version...F1 and F2 actually. But have been reluctant to try for now, with little info on success/danger chances.

Then I tried the Omega Drivers (2558) last night (Catalysts won't install), and they DO install. Which then allows the CCC to be installed too! That then gives the many extra settings that FireGL drivers don't provide. So possibly I don't need t turn it into a 9700pro really.

Next step......what sort of speeds could I expect to get away with in overclocking? Core and Ram.

Thanks.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, there is no real need to mod the FireGL into a Radeon. You get about the same performance in games.

And from what someone mentioned here, there may even be performance benefits in Photoshop, although no one here can confirm it. :whistle:

7. how do you uninstall the FreeFireGL Drivers?

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs?

9. nope, so you dont know?

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I didn't uninstall the FreeFireGL driver :p, i just install the Catalyst driver straight away :lol:

11. gigatron

gigatron Newbie

I am unable to flash my built by ati radeon 9800 pro 128MB card to a firegl x2-128 (the custom little bastard)...... :(

I saved my original bios, here, can you help me please help me :(

I am actually studying computer animation and this would be quite handy...

I've done a resistor mod looong ago from my gf2gts to a quadro2 pro, but ya that was that...now with this ati card... i've followed all your steps and the flashing was successful... HOWEVER... what happens is that I get artifacts all over screen...

I thought first, ok, so maybe its the clock speeds, but then when i opened both my original bios and the one u provided teh clock speeds were the same.. so I don't know...

Please help as soon as possible, all help appreciated as it's sort of well not urgent but.. the sooner the better since im already running in the program..

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

gigatron,

Did you try patching (using RivaTuner) and installing the FireGL driver in your card without flashing the bios? The Bios flash isn't always necessary.

Anyway, flash your card's original bios image back to your card and try the FreeFireGL driver first. Bios flash isn't necessary (for the FreeFireGL driver method) because the FreeFireGL (prepatched driver) works perfectly. :mrgreen:

If the FreeFireGL driver does not work on your card, you will have to use the 'RivaTuner' method.

13. relic

relic Newbie

9800pro-r360 to FireGL X2 128"t"

hi there.

maybe i'm hardly blind or even too dumb to find something been posted about this, so excuse me if it's already stated by now.

how's it possible to flash an ATi 9800 Pro with r360-core into
    a FireGL X2 128"t"?
    by using the linked tyan-bios i would end up running only a
    r350-bios FireGL X2 128, right?
    is there a special bios-image for the "t-mode" X2 or would my card be identified in that way no
    matter using the tyan r350-bios?
    or am i completely wrong at all? ^^

greetz,
    relic

ps: sorry, english isn't my mothers tongue, just ignore the
    spelling-mistakes. ^^

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Hm.....you should try using the FreeFireGL driver first :mrgreen: bios flash is not necessary.

15. aread22

aread22 Newbie

Is there anyway of taking the lastest firegl drivers from ati's site and using them on a bios flashed radeon 9700 pro to firegl x1-128?

I have used the freefiregl drivers and they work great but I was wondering if there was anyway to get the latest drivers. The Rivatuner method doesn't seem to work on the lastest drivers. The drivers that were posted on 9/15/04.

Thank You

Also the latest version of the freefiregl drivers is 6430, but it has to be installed with the FORSAGE 4.3 drivers

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If RivaTuner doesn't work, then i really can't figure out any other alternative way to make the newest driver to install. :lol: Or maybe you can contact Alexey aka Unwinder, the RivaTuner's creator :mrgreen: See what does he said about this :p

Just a reminder, the BIOS flash actually does NOTHING but to help the driver to install if the RivaTuner patch does not work correctly. I have said this for many times and it is stated inside the guide but it seems that everyone doesn't understand that :haha: :wall:

17. aread22

aread22 Newbie

I think everyone just likes windows xp pro to see the card as an ATI FIREGL X1 instead of 9700@X1
    :D

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

ROTFL! :haha: :wall:

19. KingNic

KingNic Newbie

Hey,

Is there any way to set the AGP speed to 4x with the modded FireGL drivers? I've got a VIA chipset and the system crashes after about 3 minutes if I leave the card running at AGP 8x. When the new drivers for FireGl are installed, the Smartgart tab disappears so I can't set the speed in that. There's no AGP option in my motherboard BIOS, and no video control thingy option that's supposed to be on VIA chipsets.

My system:
    PC Chips M848A motherboard (I know, i know...)
    128mb 256bit sapphire 9800 pro w/samsung memory
    Windows XP SP2
    Catalyst drivers 4.9

Thanks for any help.

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Setting it to AGP 8x shouldn't cause any problem :mrgreen:

WinXP SP2? that may be the problem :lol: