The ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Chai, Jun 18, 2004.

1. dgnzcn

dgnzcn Newbie

I used every way believe me..
    but just It fix some painbrush viewport red marks errors..(I realy like it) but no more performance up!

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Please note that you will NEED to flash the FireGL BIOS into your Radeon card in some cases. Please check the guide for more information.

But since you are facing this problem, I suggest you try the BIOS flash. That may help.

3. narione

narione Newbie

can ASUS 9800 PRO 256MB mod to Fire GL?

Hi guys, I found this website by chance when i was searching for some detail on ATI Fire GL. For now i'm gonna buy ASUS Radeon 9800 PRO but i'm wonder wheather is it can mod to Fire GL or not. Could anyone tell me, please. Or any others 9800 PRO cards that u could recommend me. :pray:

4. Adrian Wong

No offence, narione, but all that have been covered in the guide. Read it. You will find all the answers to your questions. :mrgreen:

5. _lb

_lb Newbie

I just installed the softfiregl driver, everything went ok, (there was no previous ATI driver on this comp) I got the tabs, even the special driver for 3dsmax5, which I selected, got the new menu, with cool options, and.. hmm I was curious so I just installed the lastest catalyst, and so it does do the same.
    BTW the driver works with max6/7 also, but unfourtunately it didnt make any performance gain for me, yet.
    I'll try on other way.
    (HIS radeon9600XT Turbo)

6. kennymc

kennymc Newbie

Hello

I am reading for a while now and my problem is i have a Sapphire 9800 Pro with 128 Samsung DDR...i downloaded a bios for FireGl X2 for GPU ver. R350. I patched it and my system chrashed down very often,, Doom3 did nont start etc.. Now i opened the Cooler and found an ATI Chip with R360..
    My question is: What kind of bios do i need? i downloaded at least 20 different bios-files..but i dont want to try them,,, I hope you can tell me what Bios i have to choose and where to download.
    Thankxx a lot

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Just curious, what are you using your card for? Playing games only?

8. kennymc

kennymc Newbie

No.. i would like to use it with ProE and Maya...Both of them have problems with Atir Radeons,

9. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Regarding your specs the Tyan FireGL X2-BIOS should suite your card well (can be found in the DL-section of the pot).
    It doesn't matter that this is a R350-BIOS, afaik there is no 128MB-modified FireGL R360-BIOS out there.

10. kennymc

kennymc Newbie

thanxx i ll try it.....but i am a litte bit sceptic befause of 128 MB Ram and 256 MB ram .!?

11. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

The mentioned Tyan-BIOS is modified for 128MB cards (because usually there are no real 128MB FireGL cards, only 256MB). There's no prob using it. ;)

PS: Hat bei meiner 9800Pro mit Samsung-Speicher einwandfrei funktioniert. ;)

12. kennymc

kennymc Newbie

Bios was successful...but..

After trying the Tyan Fire GL my Card was detected as FireGl X2 256 ....but after installing the ATI unified driver for firegl my system chrashes every time ..! i tried the Omega Driver for FireGl with no solution...Does anybody have the same problem or a solution ?? thanxx...Driver Cleaner has been used, too

13. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Crashes occur even by using the internal XP-driver (in case you're running XP) or only with installed ATi-/Omega-driver?

14. Wang Yan

Wang Yan Newbie

Good Guides!

I am a PC Fans in China.

I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB version. I will try mod the card to Fire GL X2. After I finish it, I will post the result.

Thanks Again!

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Cool! I think you are our first Chinese member! Welcome! :beer:

16. Adrian Wong

Yeah! Welcome! :wave:

17. Hrochoslon

Hrochoslon Newbie

hi everyone, i found this great step by step guide and becouse i work with 3d graphic and i like to mod things around too, I found it very interesting :)

what exactly do i need to do to mod to 8500 (this is the only radeon card i have :? ) to 8700? a have read the guide, its really good but i was unable to follow steps with this radeon 8500>8700 mod. and even in rivatuner(newest one RC2) is written in many patchfiles that this works for r300/350 cores, but R200(radeon 8500) isnt included. And there is no Force 8700or8800 capatibilities option to selcet. And too i cant find few files iam suposed to patch.
    So i presume that the way to mod a card is slightly diferent than with thesenewer r9500/9600/9700/9800
    i tried bios flashing too but still cant instal drivers

Thx

18. Wang Yan

Wang Yan Newbie

Something about 9800 pro mod firegl x2

I have a ATI 9800 Pro card. I try mod the card with the manual(The ATI Radeon To ATI FireGL Mod Guide! ). But i am faulted.

I FIND the reason lots of man will fault.
    when you patch the file(C:\ATI\FireGL 7.96.2.1\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_12872\ati2mtag.sy_) use the rivatuner, it create a ati2mtag.sys, So it is. The Installer will use the old ati2mtag.sy_ file but not ati2mtag.sys you maked.
    It is same about C:\ATI\FireGL 7.96.2.1\Driver\2KXP_INF\B_12872\atioglgl.dl_.

I do these:
    use "makecab.exe" include with winxp(win2k, win98) compress the ati2mtag.sys to ati2mtag.sy_ and atioglgl.dll to atioglgl.dl_.

I mod the card successfully.

I am sorry for my poor english, good luck everyone. :mrgreen:

19. Wang Yan

Wang Yan Newbie

Test result after mod

My ATI 9800 Pro mod Fire GL X2

SPEC Viewperf 7.1

3dsmax-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 23.29
    drv-09 Weighted Geometric Mean = 112.9
    dx-08 Weighted Geometric Mean = 137.2
    light-06 Weighted Geometric Mean = 30.71
    proe-02 Weighted Geometric Mean = 23.39