The Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Overclocking Report

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 23, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

And also, one must get a board with a PCI-lock - not sure how to explain it. It's like when you increase the FSB, you don't touch the PCI and the PCIE speeds. :mrgreen:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Oh yes. PCI lock is essential. :p

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

PCI lock... locks your PCI bus speed. Otherwise, it will limit your overclock because PCI devices can only withstand a certain amount of overclock, generally around 37.5 MHz (from the standard 33.3 MHz)

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Yeah, of course one don't want to destroy the video card and the hard disks right? These are very sensitive to changes anyway.

Strange as it seems, some cheap boards DO have PCI/AGP lock. One of these are Asrock 865GV conroe! Funny eh? :haha:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nowadays most mainboards have the PCI bus speed locked already, unlike the P4/AXP era or before that. His mainboard is locked too, so no worries :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I ghouthg PCI lock is pretty much standard these days.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup... Most motherboards do not even give you the option to turn it off.

8. TragicJohnson

TragicJohnson Newbie

The Most Understandable Forum

Thank you all for having a forum dedicated to overclocking and using understandable terms. This is the first Thread that has answered Questions concerning my set up. I have RMA 2 Strikers, gave up and Set it to a shop, where the wizard said it was simple I installed the MOBO wrong? I'll post what it was when I find out? I had all the classic CPU INIT problems. Must of removed battery and reset 20X.

Striker Extreme:wall:
    E6850:boohoo: :beer:
    660 W Ocz PSU
    Evga 8800 GTS 640
    4 Gb Crucial Ballistix pc2-8500:beer:
    Raid o 10K Raptors coming soon

9. do0m

do0m Newbie

Hey guys, kind of new to this. However I gave it a shot and wanted to know if this was ok.

Im on air (Zalman CNPS9500) I idle at 49ºC In the screen shot i had a max of 70ºC under full load. From what I read about the e6850 Intel said the core temp threshold is 72ºC, so I am assuming it's ok. but wanted to get your opinions about it. Also my FSB:DRAM ratio is 3:4 someone suggested I change it to 1:1
    The ram I have is Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066Mhz Memory (2 x 1024MB) and I'm useing the EVGA i680 A1 mobo.

img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temprf6.jpg

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It will throttle down when you reach that temp.

Use 1:1 as you won't gain much performance. But you can run at 3:4 if you want since you spend a lot on the memory module.

11. do0m

do0m Newbie

Ok cool. Thanks!

12. mirekj

mirekj Newbie

Hi,

I'm new here. I trying to overclock my E6850. But when I over 3.5Ghz the PC going to be unstable. I just increased a FSB of CPU in Bios and I set the RAM clock to 1:1. I hope, there is no problem in my RAMs, because I have 4GB (KIT 2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz PC6400 CL5 KINGSTON HyperX BOX and 2GB (KIT 2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz PC6400 CL5 KINGSTON HyperX BOX. In dual channel (so (2+1) in "orange" slots and (2+1) in "green" slots. Can be this a problem? And of course, I also increased a VCore..

And my station:
    Intel C2D E6850
    MSI P35 Neo2 FR/FiR
    6Gb RAM (2x2Gb + 2x1Gb)
    Ati HD4870 512Mb
    Corsair VX550 550W.

Thanks forward for answers..