The Perpetual Roti Canai Thread.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PY 222, Dec 8, 2002.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Jawi here refers to a town in PG mainland lah... u Penang island or mainland??? HEHE

it's a town somewhere between nibong tebal and Simpang empat...

There's a very famous asam laksa there... generations already one. Specialty is that they add those 'prawn crackers' you find in Jawa Mee.

aisay man. next time when we all can meet up together... we tour whole malaysia for FOOD ok???

2. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Ohhh... THAT Jawi! Me, of course a born and breed Islander, don't usually mix with Mainlanders. Kidding...!!!!

I know where Jawi is. They have a Country Club there where my friend plays golf right? And RMIT is there too right?

Anyhow, I love Jawa Mee.... Love it soooo much but too bad I cannot find something like that over here in the States. A goddam Roti Canai will set me back USD 5.00. So you all better not take for granted your Roti Canai.

Ah,,..... if only we could import some Roti Canai to the States, we will make a fortune :lol:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wahlaueh... you are eating gold, man! :)

I just ate two roti canai for breakfast yesterday. Cost me only RM 1 (~USD0.25)! Hehe...

4. peaz

Yup.. that's the Jawi with RMIT and that golf club...

Hehe... had loads of Jawa mee back in PG recently!! :D

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Round 1: Penang Bak Kut Teh vs. Klang Bak Kut Teh!

I think I can give a reasonable answer for this. Even though there's still no clear winner, but should clarify a few things.

According to my bro, he had some bad 'experience' with Penang Bak Kut Teh, this is before my bro tasted the Klang version. Since his few tries in Penang, he started hating BKT! :D When my father introduced the Klang version, my bro fell in love! Why? Because Penang version has strong herb taste, which my bro really hates. So no 'Herb Chicken' for him as well.

Johor is also famous for BKT. But my father's experience there isn't really good as well. That doesn't mean it taste bad! Just personal peference IMO.

Personally, I hate strong herb smell. According to my bro's and peaz's experience, sounds like I won't enjoy Penang version as well.

My conclusion is, it's all personal peference. Some like herb, some like more meat. For me I like the Klang version the best.

6. peaz

:lol:

Well, what Chai says is kinda true. My 1st experience with Klang BKT was quite ... dissapointing.

We orang PG like food with a very strong aroma, taste, etc. portion of meat or extras dun seems to be of importance... whcih is why u find that some of the best noodles in PG is not even served with any meat or etc? most keep them to the minimum. Why? Well, this i believe is to preserve the 'original' taste of the particular noodle.

For example, let's take BKT, bak kut teh is origin IS a chinese traditional herbal food. :D
    Other than that, there's this famous prawn mee (in PG we call them hokkien mee, Hokkien made them popular here in PG i guess???) whcih only serves the mee and soup as standard, meatballs, fishballs are ordered as extra side dishes!!! And it's alway jammed pack with ppl. And boy, I can tell you the soup is BLOODY good. No such thing as 'Ajinomoto'...

Oh ya, did you know that ALL of the PG hawkers(excluding those wannabes of coz) dun use Ajinomoto, or any taste enhancers at all??? they only rely on their 'secret' recipe for the best taste!!!

Even taking the PG curry mee for example, the best and famous ones are the est of the best becaouse of their soup, not how they serve their food :D

Well, hope this clear up some air regarding food.

As for me, i think both are important as I've big appitite!!! back in PG, i'll have to eat at least 2-3 bowls before i'm done. Here in KL, one large serving would do! :D

7. Chai

Klang is the origin of BKT. And do you know why most stalls in Klang only open in the morning? Becuase BKT was meant to be for breakfast! Herbal food? Yes, but was never meant to be Penang type strong. Maybe you enjoy eating the modified version of BKT, but the original BKT will always be the best IMO, which is from Klang.

Meat or not meat is not that important to us as well. I love to eat noodle 'kosong' (empty) as well, if it's meant to eat that way. IMO, the Penang BKT has been modified to suit Penangites. Imagine, BKT, with little meat, strong herb. BKT is a pork meal, with the addition of soup plus a little herb to add more taste. If it's like the Penang version of BKT, why shouldn't I call it 'Yuk Chai Teh' instead? :D Yes, 'my' Teh! :lol:

I'm just being honest of my opinion. I might sound a little harsh :) But what I've mentioned above is quite true. Jeremy will definitely agree with me. I'm not trying to take the crown from Penangites, but just to clarify the origin of BKT, because there will never be a clear winner. :D

8. peaz

;) we can argue all they and there's really no clear winnner... :D
    i guess it's a draw then???

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Yes, Chai is right about the fact that BKT originated from Klang and to be more precise; Port Klang. If you're wondering how in the world did I know that BKT originated from Port Klang, well my cousin sister is a tour guide and to be a tour guide in Malaysia, it is compulsory for you to take up "Additional History" classes and that is where we found out BKT was from Klang.

Anyway, concerning Penang BKT and Klang BKT, I don't give a rats ass if it comes loaded with spices or not and as long as there is PORK with lotsa FATS, then I'm all for it. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner in this since food is also a very subjective manner therefore its best to share your experience with BKT among the forum members.

10. Chai

I wouldn't close this case yet. At least we have something to argue later if there's any 'changes'. ;) Let's end this for now.

Let's talk about Roti Canai, since this thread is about Roti, one of my favourite food. Any new unusual Roti? :) The only unusual Roti I've tried is Roti Tissue, which is quite nice.

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm... I ate so many kinds of roti, even in India... Even had one shaped like a hat! It's a roti that's dipped in sugar so it becomes hard when cooked.

Over in India, they had the roti tissue too, either plain or with some masala potato inside. But I think they called it masala dosa.

12. peaz

Roti tissue is pretty common right? but it's just the way the shops make them differently. Ah... u wan really weird roti???

TRy this.. Roti Micheal Jackson - contains mutton, chicken ??? and all sort of stuff... dunno lah. My friend in Serdang tells me one. I never try or even see before also

Roti Osama - available at PG's Line Clear mamak. really weird roti with some meat and lots of veg and mayonis on it.. TRULY TRULY Weird... wonder why it's called Roti Osama also.... hmm maybe because the mayonis makes it look like a 'turban' ??

13. Chai

Yeah, I know roti tissue is very common, that's why I'm looking for other usual Roties :)

Sound really funny man! :lol:

14. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Chai, Chai, I sure ain't going to let you off so easily. Though it may seem that BKT originated from Klang, Penang still has the BEST BKT arount town.

Firstly, let me stress that I do not like the Herbal Aroma of the BKT too but because there are several variety in Penang alone, I think we can say that Penang BKT will cater to almost everybody who shows up.

When I order BKT, I will usually put alot of those 'sam chan bak', known as the fatty part of the pig. That part is excellent. I will also dip my 'ew char koey' into my soup before drinking my BKT to mask the smell of the herbs. This is my style of eating BKT. :p

I hate you all for talking about all this good food back home. I am salivating while I type this out. My mind is running wild with Roti Canai and BKT all over Penang AND Malaysia. :?

15. Chai

Have you tried Klang BKT before? Maybe you really should try. Because the Herb is not that strong, and it has all the 'bak' you want, and what? BKT without 'ew char koey'? No way man, I must have that in my BKT!!! Seriously, sounds like the Klang version of BKT will suit your taste.

Remember, my bro hates the Penang version of BKT. He thought all the BKT were like the Penang version until he tried the Klang version...

16. peaz

Oh ya... I dun know if all Klang BKT is like this or not la but the one i went where Chai took me for the Klang BKT included 'tao kee' in the soup, thus making the soup thick.

well, back in PG, the soups are ussually more 'cheng' and not thick like 'lor'... dunno, just a personal preference.

Chai never tried pg BKT before right??? must take him to try... there's so many version... bring him all untuil he tried them all!!! LOL

17. peaz

and the best way to enjoy 'sam cham bak' is to have them 'roasted' and wat it as it is!!! and dip into oyster sauce... nyam nyam....

18. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

STOP IT, STOP IT. You are hurting me so badly..... :cry:

Anyway, yes I have had Klang BKT before but not in Klang. I had a pure breed Klang girl cooked for me. Pure Klang style according to her.

The thing is that I don't like all the extra stuff that the Klangites (if that is what they call themselves!). I like my BKT, well.... BKT.

And yes, 'sam chan bak', lots of those in my BKT please.

/Mamak, roti bomb dua!

19. peaz

wat it as it is -&gt; i meant eat it as it is....

damn typos

----

urm.. apart from BKT and roti... what else do we wanna talk/argue/drool over here??... hmmm how bout Satay? Kajang's satay really famous... but i've heard of ppl still prefering PG's satay....

20. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Well, seriously I can tell you this, after what I've heard from the BKT sellers, the best part of the pig is called 'Wong Tai Kuat' (Kings Bones). In order for you to sample this particular 'delicacy', you'll have to call in advance to determine if the particular pig they 'chopped/slaughtered' up has this part because as I was told, not all pigs comes with this particular part and if they do, it will only be enough for 2 person but in my case, only 1 but I doubt so. =)