The Perpetual Trash Talking Thread!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PY 222, Jun 19, 2003.

1. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Usually if I want to start from scratch, I will just download an entire new Zip file from the Download Section.

That way, I don't have to worry about missing files. Just a thought!

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

LOL. you could just save a copy on your hard disk you know.

but seriously. deleting a few files is faster than downloading the entire thing.

to reset.

DO NOT DELETE
    rotlib.bin.bz2

REMEMBER TO DELETE
    progress.txt(if there)
    filelist.txt

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You can always save a copy of the downloaded file... :)

4. goldfries

ehh. i did mention it whaaaaat. lehh 1 line above the text you quoted.

EDITED: it was edited total 1 time to add the 'FILES' thing. :p

EDITED SOME MORE: it's always good to have another copy stashed somewhere. my other copies are DF folders on laptop and other rigs. my main rig DF gets corrupted a lot due to my OC adventures. hehe.

usually it's the batch file/exe file corruption only.

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

all u need to delete is the filelist.txt file.... my file got corrupted... and.. well bye bye to my super protein lo :'(

now this new one crap like hell... RMA not even below 9

6. goldfries

ok. so the leftover bz2's will be overwritten? ahhh.......

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

well.. u can delete them also la... better la.... less chance for corruption

8. goldfries

but again, must remember not all bz2 are to be deleted. i tried already, no wonder cannot run.

i can run only after i restore and that then everything reset when i delete filelist.txt

progress.txt records the progress, i donno whether really need or not. sometimes not there wan. but i delete anyway, since it's gonna be fress progress. some more PY 222 mentioned it earlier. hehe.

9. Chai

Don't delete when you are running it! And don't try to act smart deleting the Temp dir while running DF!

Er...yes, I was a smart donkey... :D

10. goldfries

don't delete what? temp directory?

maybe that's what happened to me. disk running low so i cleared temp folder too. hahaha.......i think i ter-deleted it.

no wonder my DF wasn't moving.

that makes 2 donkeys. horse and fish transformed. we're now 45535!!!

11. Chai

LOL! 1337 45535!

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

45535 is 45535... :roll: :whistle:

13. Chai

You better keep quiet, I've already beaten you in best energy! :twisted:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Of course la. You have 512MB. :p

15. Chai

What does best structure got to do with RAM? :think: Remember you had much better energy then me, even with less RAM, right?

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ermm... coz I'm always using my pc to watch Futurama and Kazaa-ing, so lesser RAM equals lesser RAM to crunch. :D

17. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Dash, RAM has nothing to do with the energy level of the protein.

You did also say that "you have less RAM and thus less RAM to crunch" is rather an incorrect statement.

Unless you have less than 128MB, I don't see how you can run out of RAM because with the -rt switch, the client's footprint is only around 2-4MB.

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Haha... you are right. I was thinking myself too after I post that statement. I should have said that my cpu is slower. :D

Coz mostly... it's cpu time that does the work. :whistle:

But I think my ram is one of the factor too. Coz if I open a lot of apps... thus my ram for the client to work will decrease from the normal 90000+ to maybe 50000+. That's what's happening when I open a few more apps and I notice that the client takes less ram to crunch. That's just what I notice. I may be wrong. :D

19. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

That is actually very easily corrected but I do not highly recommend it unless you are a Distributed Folding Freak, like me.

I open up the TaskManager and find foldtrajlite.exe. Right click on the process and click on Set Priority. From Low, I will increase its priority to Normal.

This will definitely enable your client to produce a little bit more protein but you will find that your machine will slowdown when you hit rock bottom in terms of RAM.

Conclusion to case study: BUY MORE RAM!

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Haha... tried that already but I was not permitted. :D

RAM is expensive le. But I'm going to buy 2 sticks when I have the money. It's really kinda stupid that my mobo only have 2 ddr slots. :wall: :wall: :wall: