The Pirated Software Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Viper007Bond, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That is actually very smart of Microsoft. In fact, Apple has done something similar for schools.

By giving students free copies of Microsoft software, they are encouraging students to learn and focus on Microsoft software. This inevitably influences company buying decisions.

If universities base their curriculum on Microsoft software and graduates come armed with knowledge of Microsoft software, companies will think about switching to Microsoft software. After all, it saves them the cost of retraining new employees on other software.

So, even though Microsoft is giving away free software, it's not a loss for them. Call it a strategic move. They will reap the benefits indirectly. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

MS actually sponsors students. In the email that business students here received, they were saying that they're gonna provide ANY software just ask for it, they'll give u the cd key, and u can download the stuff and burn it on cd.

If MS wanted to stop piracy, they would have done so long ago. As you can see, no one really enforces the copyright laws (regarding software) upon individuals. I agree with Adrian. By providing BASIC software packages, students will learn how to use the software. When they finish and start working, guess what software they're gonna use? :mrgreen:

However, the laws are enforced on a business level. :hand:

3. wodenus

wodenus Banned

It's called "open license". They pay MS for the right to give you software for free. :)

4. Adrian Wong

I don't think it's an open license.

Check out Microsoft's open license programme for educational institutions - http://www.microsoft.com/education/Open.aspx

Looks more like a more convenient way of managing software purchases, than a way to provide free Microsoft software to students.

I would say that Microsoft is actually giving their software free to university students. Just like I said they should. Benefits them in the long run. :thumb:

5. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Why is it I never see the stuff I wrote that you're replying to ? and where do I click to instantly get to the last page ? for some strange reason the last post is on the last page and not the first :)

Oh yeah, allow them to download via P2P. Half of them will have piggybacked trojans. The damage to MS' reputation would be incalcuable :) and even if they did that they'd still have to pay for support and bugfixes. :)

So printing a book can cost almost nothing too ? how about that :)

Which is why people can (and do) give away software for free (if they want to.) Still doesn't justify illegal duplication.

Fixing a software bug involves a lot more than just publishing an errata list :)

I've written errata lists, and I've fixed software bugs. No question which ones are harder to do :)

Like I said, I presented as many facts and figures as you did :)

Free software is like free books.. no guarantees, no support. But the point here is not that you can't make software free. It's that there really is no justification for software piracy.

Little extra cost of printing a book? :shock:

That's maybe cos they had sponsors. In the end, someone's gonna have to pay for it. As for really free software, you can make it as easily as you can print a book on your bubblejet :) but no one is capable of undertaking huge projects without help. And that help costs as much as book help. That's why you cannot ever release major software projects for free.

Well, you'll have to make that clear to me.. stuff between the lines is always open to interpretation :)

6. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Why can't it be open license ? :)

7. Adrian Wong

I don't get you. You can go to the last post by clicking on the last post icon [​IMG].

Oh really? I have downloaded many files off P2P with no trojans. ;)

Besides, there are many alternative methods of serving free software. But of course, if you don't agree on giving away free software, no way is ever good enough.

But no matter what you may say, Microsoft is ALREADY giving away free software via the Internet. That's proof.. and fact. Not conjectures, opinions or mere possibilities. ;)

Really? Please help me print the BOG book for almost nothing then. :haha:

Err.. I have no idea what you are trying to say. :mrgreen:

Did I ever say otherwise? :mrgreen:

Err.. Again, did I ever say otherwise? :mrgreen:

No comment! :wicked: :haha:

Err.. I never said all software should be provided free, although there are people who write software and distribute them for free use.

When it comes to big companies providing software for free to students, that is considered a calculated investment. Giving software to them will not bring them any money, but it will certainly encourage more people to use their software.

Indirectly, this influences buying decisions of various commercial entities, large and small. If most of your workforce is very proficient in Microsoft software, would you prefer to migrate to Microsoft software or take time, effort and money to retrain them to use Sun or Mac software?

This is especially true for smaller companies that cannot afford to retrain their staff. For them, the cost of buying Microsoft software is a LOT cheaper than retraining the staff.

Sponsors? What sponsors? Have you seen the open source projects? Those programmers are not working for profit, but as part of a worldwide team to promote open source software.

Again, no one is saying that if you work on something, you do not have the right to benefit from it. Heck, I said that right from the beginning.

All I'm saying is large software companies should consider giving their software free to students and retirees. Not only will this benefit them by increasing their market share in the future, but also educate students about the value and importance of buying original software and supporting their development.

When you take a step back and look at the whole situation, there is really no right or wrong way in this matter. There are only consequences. Cause and effect.

If large software companies want to correct software piracy and improve their profits, they have to stop thinking about making a killing now and start thinking proactively and long-term.

Their current method of smash and litigate will only arouse the ire of rebellious young people and encourage software piracy as a way to thumb their nose at large, faceless corporations with nothing more than profits on their minds. In the end, who loses? Think about that. :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

If you check out the link, you will know why. :mrgreen:

I'll quote :-

9. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Exactly!!! I'll bring up another example. VCD piracy was rampant in the mid and late nineties; go to anywhere in Malaysia and you could get a pirated VCD of your favourite movie for a few ringgit. Where was the incentive for people to buy the original movie for several times the price? There was none. So what did the VCD retailers do? Lower prices so that they didn't lose out to the retailers of bootleg copies. Coupled with the nationwide crackdown on bootleg retailers in Malaysia, it worked wonderfully. Nowadays it's much harder to control piracy especially with warez and P2P on the Internet, but the same method would still be very effective today, with regards to countering software piracy. Ask anyone who buys pirated software - the main (and perhaps the only reason) that they buy pirated copies is that the original software is too expensive. In fact, it's already clear enough from the people who have been voicing out in this thread.

10. wodenus

wodenus Banned

It's either not around or I can't find it :) I think it's not here for some reason.. I can't see it anywhere on the page :)

Not everyone is as clued-in as you :)

People are giving books away free too. Maybe not paper ones, but books all the same. :)

Use your own inkjet :)

Well if you think that way, what stops you from selling your book at cost to students and retirees ? :)

No one knows true intention. They may not be working for profit.. but you can't say they're working "to promote open source software" -- they may be working to promote themselves, working to establish a reputation, maybe even using open source as a testbed for their commercial products.

Dead right. What you don't have the right to is duplicate it w/o express permission from the authors.

They already do.. no argument about that. They DO give away software free. The whole point is this -- you cannot justify software piracy by saying it's too expensive, or that you're poor, or that the company is rich and can afford it. There is simply no justification for software piracy. Anyway, if you think some software should be free, why not consider selling your book at cost to students and retirees ? :)

I don't know if they're making more of a killing than other content industries. You generally don't think long-term in this industry because it moves very fast -- plan something for ten years and you'll have outdated software at the end of it :) In this industry you have to keep moving. MS is doing us a big favor already (or maybe it's because of the competition.) If they sold Windows at say RM1K there would probably still be demand.

I think if they lowered the prices of software there'd still be piracy 'cos it's always cheaper to duplicate it :) I mean, you don't sell your book at cost to students and retirees, but you (or your publisher) would prosecute if there was wide-scale piracy wouldn't they ? so there's no solution to this I think. Or at least the solution is not to lower prices ('cos piracy is always cheaper.) The only way to get the profits due to you is to prosecute. I can't think of any other way.

PS. It'd be good if someone found a real way to prevent piracy wouldn't it ? :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Riiiiiiight. wodenus - judging from what you've been saying, I think it's fairly safe to say that you hardly use P2P, if at all. Therefore, I think you're making a very misinformed assumption that P2P networks are swarming with trojans and viruses. I'm in the same situation as Adrian with this. The only trojan that ever found its way onto my hard drive wasn't even from P2P, I downloaded what I thought was a Starcraft no-cd patch but it turned out to be a trojan.

I agree that it's not a justification for piracy. However, the fact remains that software piracy is rampant and you can't stop people who want to duplicate your software and spread it around, nor can you completely stop people from buying/downloading it. However, big-time software developers like MS can take steps to combat it by lowering their bloody prices, as I have explained in my previous post.

I don't deny that lowering prices will completely eliminate piracy, but it would greatly reduce the demand for pirated software. Also, if you can't beat them, you join them. The RIAA has been trying to combat illegal MP3 sharing by prosecuting the users who share large numbers of MP3s. Do you see it having an effect on P2P networks? Initially there was, but now everyone is just carrying on as if nothing happened. This is the logic behind iTunes and other legal MP3 services. They're providing an alternative that costs a bit of money, but is still cheaper than buying CDs and it's legal. As legal MP3 download services increase in popularity and possibly decrease in price, I reckon it will be much more effective than what the RIAA is doing.

12. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

microsoft uses pirated software also

:mrgreen:

CLICK HERE

13. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Believe everything you read, do you ? If all the users called 'Deepz0ne' are pirates then all the people who are called "Osama bin Laden" are terrorists :)

14. wodenus

wodenus Banned

I didn't say they were swarming. They don't have to be swarming. Download sites are not swarming with trojans either, but you installed one.

They're already quite low.. and what about small-time developers ? if they had high prices (or prices you consider high) you wouldn't be against that ?

I do. Or did you mean "won't" ? :)

Why would it ? pirated copies would still be cheaper :)

How do you know it's still not having an effect ? it's not reported these days because it's not news any more. But that doesn't mean it's not effective any more.

I don't. But we'll see. iTunes isn't available in a whole lot of countries anyway.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  15. Adrian Wong

That icon is everywhere. You can see it in the forum index. It's the icon next to the date (under the last thread in each forum).

And if you click on the New Posts link (http://forums.rojakpot.com/search.php?do=getnew) above, you will get a list of latest posts. You will see a list of page numbers. Right at the end is the last post icon. Click on it.

Err.. I'm not a heavy P2P user myself. But it's not that hard. Even my 14-year old cousin has been a heavy P2P user for the last few years!

She has downloaded so much stuff over the years but has never been infected by trojans or viruses, etc. I think you just need a little common sense or software prophylactics like an antivirus software to avoid such a problem.

If a little girl can do it, so can you! :thumb:

So are we. :mrgreen:

As long as it is online, we can do it for free. But if you are talking about printed books, it's not possible. And that's a fact.

For almost nothing? You gotta be kidding me. :mrgreen:

The printing cost using an inkjet is exhorbitant. Have you actually used one? :whistle:

You said for almost nothing. Why don't you try printing the BOG book using an inkjet? Then you can let us know the exact cost. :mrgreen:

When it comes to the printed book, that's under Prentice-Hall. Under the contract, they have full rights over the marketing and sale of the book.

But unlike some software companies, publishers like Prentice-Hall have a long tradition of selling books at very low prices to students and academic institutions.

In addition, we have continued to provide the online BIOS Optimization Guide for free. I think that's more than anyone can expect from us. ;)

Possibly. But who says you can't benefit from your own work? You seem to be missing the point.

Even if you want to make money, that does not mean you should screw people on the way. At least, that's my philosophy. And being nice comes with its own benefits.

Like I said, cause and effect. You make your choices and you live with the consequences.

Err.. Isn't that what I've been saying since the beginning of this topic? Heck, I've been saying this for a long time now. :mrgreen:

Who said anything about justifying software piracy by saying it's too expensive? :roll:

Look at us. Most of us are not working. And yet, with the help of advertising and donations, we have gradually managed to lease our own server, buy the many software we need to run the site, etc. If we truly believed that the insane prices is reason enough to use pirated software, would we have wasted our money buying original software?

With that said, software prices are a little insane to be honest. Perhaps it's because of rampant piracy. If so, then the current tactic of increasing prices is really self-defeating. All that higher prices will do is fuel software piracy.

I don't think anyone here will actually buy pirated software if original software is really affordable. Even if I don't use the software for commercial purposes, I personally wouldn't mind paying for it if it was affordable.

But instead of being lazy and passing the loss of revenue from piracy to the consumers, software companies should think proactively. Increasing software prices will only punish those who support original software.

The ultimate strategy should be to educate consumers and ENCOURAGE the use of legit software by making software more affordable. NOT punishing legit users with higher prices and litigating everyone else. :snooty:

It moves fast? Err.. Windows XP has been with us for a few years already. The next version of Windows is slated to be released in 2007. That's fast? :mrgreen:

Stop thinking about making money today. The software industry is hooked on too long to the notion that everyone should pay whatever they want or else... People always forget, when you make a change, nature forces a shift in the other direction to achieve equilibrium.

If you charge RM 1,000 (USD 263) for Windows XP, yes, there will still be demand. But less of it.

At RM 1000, maybe 10% of potential users will buy the original Windows XP. The other 90% will just download a copy from Kazaa. :haha:

On the other hand, if Microsoft lowers the price to RM 200 (USD 52.60), I would say that more than 90% of potential users will buy the original Windows XP. Only a small percentage will bother downloading a copy when they can easily afford the original.

Compare the two scenarios. At RM 1000, Microsoft will make RM 100,000 for every 1000 potential users. But at RM 200, Microsoft will make RM 180,000 for every 1000 potential users!

See. It's not how much you make per copy that matters. What matters at the end of the day is the NET TOTAL you make.

I would disagree. If you lower prices, more people will buy original software. And if you duplicate more (due to increased sales), your cost drops. You benefit both ways.

There will always be some piracy, no doubt. But by reducing prices, you can at least destroy the current impression that original software is too expensive. People have less reasons or excuses to buy pirated software.

Also, by giving software free to students and showing them what it means to own original software and why it is important to support original software, software companies will only benefit because the coming generations will become more educated on the benefits of original software.

Right now, the only people benefiting are the lawyers. :roll:

Most people know what it takes to eradicate piracy. I think it's just a lack of guts to face the truth or to take the necessary steps.

16. Adrian Wong

IMHO, the only ones that benefited from the RIAA litigation "exercises" were the lawyers. :snooty:

I think the RIAA head honchos are still stuck in the dinosaur age. :haha:

17. Adrian Wong

Err.. Even if the said Deepz0ne is not a software pirate... Does it really make sense to you that Microsoft would register the software under the name Deepz0ne?

ROTFL! To be honest, I'll bet you found it strange, right? Hehe..

If Microsoft actually bought a copy of SoundForge for their use, you can be certain it's registered under the name Microsoft, not Deepz0ne. :haha:

18. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Some little girls are really clued in. Look at papercut's post.. proves my point precisely :)

At five sen per page.. it would cost less than six bux :) and laser quality too :)

Fair enough.. so don't go saying software companies should provide software for free to students and retirees unless you're prepared to offer books at cost to them as well :)

Any time you make money, you screw someone. I mean, it's not as if it's actually "work" in the true sense of the word. You got something for cheap, or free, and you're selling it for money. People only make profits by screwing other people :)

Well people want what they want at the lowest price possible. And pirated software always will have the lowest price.

You will not encourage anything with lower prices. I don't think less people will use pirated copies. People will always look for the lowest price. And pirated software always will have the lowest price.

Anything with a < five-year development cycle is fast :)

Er.. every industry has the notion that "everyone should pay whatever they want or else". I mean, you never pay what you want to pay, you pay what the seller wants you to pay. It's not limited to the software industry :)

This is all opinion :)

Yup. Personally I think people will buy at the lowest price anyway. And pirated software always will have the lowest price. So lowering prices will just mean less profits.

Personally I think people will buy at the lowest price. And pirated software always will have the lowest price. So lowering prices will just mean less profits.

You could turn this around and say.. "by selling your book at cost to students..." etc. But you won't do that. Or at least PH won't do that. I don't know why, but I suspect it's the same reason why they don't give software away free.. because they want to make as much profit as possible from it. I think that's the only way. I think lowering prices won't encourage much. Might make a small dent maybe, but most people would still be copying, and they'd end up losing money two ways instead of one :)

Yup, people are kiasu :)

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Do you have any other words other than saying 'So lowering prices will just mean less profits.' or 'And pirated software always will have the lowest price.'? ;)

I wonder if you have actually bought anything original before! :shock: Buying original essures you get the best quality product, with proper support, manual etc. Buying original music essures you get the best quality audio. If you buy pirated software, you need to use cracks, key generators, and you may probably not be able to update to newer versions. If original software are cheaper, I would definitely buy the original.

Oh yeah, since you like to use 'people that are less clued in' as example, why not you say, these people will have problems cracking the software? How many times have you heard people asking 'how to crack this game?' at your nearest store? (for international forumers, piracy in Malaysia is extremely rampant. :D )

20. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Well maybe one of the developers was using his own private copy ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.