The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Imo the easiest thing would be to downclock your "XT" to its initial Pro-clocks and try again, maybe the gfx ist not able to bear this higher clocks anymore.
    Something that'll hit any oc'ed card sooner or later.

2. got2xlr8

got2xlr8 Newbie

yeh it was the powersupply, i replaced it witha 500watt Ultra Xconnect, and it runs fine, even over clocked, after pulling the other one out i coudlnt belive how lightweight it was, i mean its no wonder it wore out.

3. wesleyfree

wesleyfree Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find the bios for my card anywhere. I want to upgrade my ATi Radeon 9800Pro 256MB R360 card to a 9800XT. I have already replaced the stock heatsink and fan with an Arctic-Cooling VGA Silencer. The memory on the card is Hynix and it says, "Hynix KOA HY5DU573222 F-28 449A". help with finding the 9800XT bios? [email protected]
    thanks

I have tried several different bios. Hercules, powercolor, sapphire, Club3D, Dell, ATi. no luck.

4. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

8- or 16-chip memory layout on a new or old PCB?

5. wesleyfree

wesleyfree Newbie

8 chip memory layout on a brand spanking new card.

6. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

If your card looks like this (att.) and there are no heatsinks on the memory chips this ATi BIOS should work fine ... try to mod it down to your Pro-standard clocks first and flash it up just to make sure it works, you can increase both core and mem later on any time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  7. Juhani

Juhani Newbie

Hello,

I have HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb (picture), and I'm wondering if I could mod it to XT.

The core is R360, and the memory chips are made by Samsung (see the attached files). I read the article about modding my card, but I couldn't found the right bios file for my card from your site.

So, do you guys have any idea where I could find a proper bios file for my card?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  8. wesleyfree

wesleyfree Newbie

didnt work. I have heatsinks on the memory at the top left. My heatsink came stock as a parallelogram.

9. You should be able to mod it. Have you read the mod guide?

If so, you can pick one of the BIOSes from here:
    http://downloads.rojakpot.com/files.php?cat=48

10. wesleyfree

wesleyfree Newbie

this is my card. sry about the quality. I have yet to upload my photos of the actual card.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  11. Juhani

Juhani Newbie

Yeah, I read it. For some reason I missed those files.

I flashed "ATi Radeon 9800 XT (128MB-mod) ยป Asus Radeon 9800 XT BIOS rev1.02" to my card and everything went fine. After that I booted my 'puter and Windows started up fine, my card was recognized as "Radeon 9800 XT" by Windows (it found my card as a new device). I uninstalled my Omega drivers and cleared the registery after that to be sure I got rid of them. After that I booted again and installed Omega drivers again. Then I booted but Windows didn't load anymore, I just got black screen at that point when there should be a welcome screen.

I booted my computer with flashing disk and flashed the old pro-bios back. After that I started Windows in... what's that in English... OK, let's say I started Windows in "fault tolerance mode" (hope you got the idea :mrgreen: ) and uninstalled Omega drivers and booted and installed Omega drivers once again.

Now my computer works OK again and my card is recognized as "pro". The flashing seem to went fine, I think that there is a problem with Omega drivers. What do you think about this problem?

12. Juhani

Juhani Newbie

My HC underground modder friend told me that I should uninstall my Radeon's drivers before flashing, now I'm going to try that. Wish me luck! :)

edit: Didn't work, I got the same error again. Back to the pro again... :?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't matter if you flash with the drivers uninstalled, but it's recommended though.

14. Juhani

Juhani Newbie

I tried to install original Ati's Radeon-drivers after flashing but that didn't work either - I still get the black screen when Windows tries to load.

15. wesleyfree

wesleyfree Newbie

I've flashed my card successfully once and reinstalled the device drivers but Windows still only recognizes my card as "Radeon 9800 Series". I flashed it back to the old bios. It still recognizes the card as 9800 series. But, it recognized it as that before I did any kind of flashing.

16. I had somewhat of a problem when I also used the latest driver of ATI.

The Overdrive tab wouldn't show up properly. The temp and core readings were static.

Good thing I had an older one on hand so I just installed that (driver version 6.14.10.6542) instead.

Hope that helps!! :)

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

18. Circastes

Circastes Newbie

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/09/30/b4_1_b.JPG

What's the likelihood of the this card being an R360? It seems to look as though it may be a 128mb version of the R350 DDR2 card first listed in the "identify your card" part of the modding guide, because of those heatsinks, but it was not listed as DDR2 and I don't know if any 128mb DDR2 variants even exist.

Cheers.

19. Can you check under the heatsink of the RAM and see what's written on it?

20. Circastes

Circastes Newbie

I got the card this afternoon in the mail (was an eBay purchase), and no, the heatsinks appear to be glued on in some way rather than clipped. The sinks are on both sides of the board where the memory chips are located. Looking at the card, it's 100% brand new, so it must have been manufactured recently.

Since I actually have the card in my possession now, I can unclip the GPU heatsink and check the core markings, but I was wondering if it would just be easier to go ahead and try the two likely XT BIOSes since I can't pinpoint which RAM brand its using anyway. The flash tool informs you if there has been an error - right? Or can the wrong flash be prone to outright disabling the card until the flash is reverted? I don't have a PCI graphics card handy at the moment.