The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so, unless there's a AIW 9800XT version! :wicked:

2. RIVACHAZ

RIVACHAZ Newbie

how to change core xt stock settings on a 128 pro card?

Hi

How can I change the core overclock and mem settings
    for the sapphire 9800pro 128 card if the pro to xt mod
    disableds the overdrive function as found on the 256mb versions?

Would the core speed/mem speed have to be set into the xt bios when
    flashing the 9800 pro if a higher stock speed is needed?

Thanks

Andrew

[email protected]

3. Chai

No, the clockspeed info is stored in the BIOS, so after flashing, your card will be using XT speed by default.

4. RIVACHAZ

RIVACHAZ Newbie

can it be changed from stock xp speeds? - if so what util?

can it be changed from stock xp speeds? - if so what utility?

5. Chai

Why would you want to change the speed?

6. RIVACHAZ

RIVACHAZ Newbie

to increase the overclock of the chip? - for increase performance?

7. Chai

Use Rage3DTweak, or RadLinker. :thumb:

8. Muqri Omar

Muqri Omar Newbie

9. Chai

Yup, the card is an XT in disguised. Just pray that you get exactly that! :mrgreen:

10. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

YESS!!!!!
    BIOS Flash from Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB -> Radeon 9800 XT Successful!
    Done with ATI Winflash using Hercules 9800 XT BIOS
    Still on stock cooling, yet no artifacts though, temps on 70°C load(overdrive feature measured)

:dance: :mrgreen: :dance: :mrgreen: :dance: :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

11. Chai

That's great news! :D

12. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

3DMark2003 - Before BIOS Mod: 5674 3D Marks

3DMark2003 - After BIOS Mod: 6370 3D Marks

I'm impressed! Especially the "Battle of Proxygon" and "Mother Nature" Test run VERY VISIBLY smoother!

Sorry for the crappy Screenshot ^^

Attached Files:

13. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

waaaa...........congratzzz!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

14. Chai

Nice improvement! :thumb:

15. Speedo

Speedo Newbie

Hi guys!

I just got my Connect3D 9800pro 128MB. It has the Hynix memory: HY5DU283222A F-28 408A. I think it has the R360 core, also because of the black plastic holders for the heatsink.

I was wondering what you think my chances are of a sucessful XT (128MB) mod with this card? Does the flash itself increase any voltages? If not, why would it run hotter after the flash (considering it was still running XT clock speeds before mod). I seen in this thread that you were talking of VPU voltages - where can you read out that info?

As it is now, my card overclocks to somewhat above XT speeds, but if the risks are low, I'm of course interested in the additional performance of the optimized "XT" shaders.

Does the flashing process involve backing up my original bios? If so, does that mean that if I get artifacts for any reason after the flash, I can go back to the original state/bios?

I'd prefer not fiddeling with the heatsink if I don't have to... (atleast until I perhaps get some additional cooling in the future)

Here's a pic of the memory:
    [​IMG]

Thanx!

16. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

1. Take off the Cooling Unit to be sure it is the R360 core!

2. Additional/Better Cooling is a near must due to the higher default clock speeds stored in the XT BIOS!

3. You can get your original BIOS back on the same page where you download the new BIOS, they have them all.

4. Chances are good that the Mod will work for your card, especially if you already confirmed XT (or higher) clock speeds but still you have to get a better cooling unit.

17. Speedo

Speedo Newbie

Hey guys... done the mod now, and it worked :) In 3DMark2003, I had 6104 (XT clockspeeds) and after the mod I got 6345. Not a big improvement, but I was running XT clockspeeds before so...

I will get better cooling ASAP.

One thing that worries me a little though is that I saw when windows re-detected the "new" XT card, that it said something about 256MB? I'm quite sure I took the right BIOS (Club3D 9800XT 128MB BIOS). If the drivers thing the card has 256MB, couldn't there be problems in the future if games tries to "adress" the nonexistent memory? However, when I looked in the informations tab in the drivers, it did say 128MB...

18. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

most likely cause there IS NO 9800XT with 128mb RAM ;)

19. Ishtvan

Ishtvan Newbie

Question: Has anyone tried flashing the Sapphire Pro 256MB card with the Sapphire XT BIOS? I see that on the OCFaq list of BIOS's, the ram is listed as 'unknown' is this why the Hercules 2.5ns Hynix is a better bet, even though it's not the same vendor? Anyone know what kind of RAM the Sapphire XT has?

EDIT - Found some specs for the Sapphire XT in German, apparently it has 2.5 ns Samsung DDR. http://www.dark-tweaker.com/sapphire-9800xt.htm

Now as you guys can see I'm a newbie, so I don't know if having the same latency (but different brand) of RAM is enough reason to go with the Sapphire XT Bios over the Hercules Bios that matches RAM latency AND brand, but is a different vendor.

20. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

any recommendations for a good vga cooler?
    i see that someone uses a vantec iceberq with included ram heatsinks, must admit it looks pretty cute :)