Thermalright SP-97 on X1800XL

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I just added some serious air cooling to my X1800XL :wicked:

So far I've overclocked it to 720/700 :twisted: Maybe I need some RAMsinks and more voltage :lol:

Attached Files:

2. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

wow :drool:

can show the back how u mount it?

n some temp..dun forget this :dance:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Here you go :mrgreen: Four holes and four screws + nuts, that's all :haha:

Temperatures? dropped dramatically, at least ~20-30c lower compared to stock :thumb:

Attached Files:

• asd.JPG
      asd.JPG
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahahah again?

this heatsink diehard ehh...seems like can last u 10 generation :lol:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!!! Only Max_87 can come up with these stuff! :thumb:

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I saw the title from the main forum page and straightaway knew who it was :haha:
    Nice job...I think I've seen it done on a couple of other cards too. Quite cool :p

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

one sink to rule them all :mrgreen: :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! That's a good one. :thumb:

Maybe we should use it in the guide. :mrgreen:

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

:haha:

I love Thermalright heatsinks :haha:

Did you know that I also mounted the SI-97 (S462) on my new system (S939)? :thumb:

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

ROTFL!!! :haha:

Hm....I've never seen ppl modded SP-97 before.....but I've seen some modded the SLK series :mrgreen:

Damn i think I need to make something to give the card some support... this heatsink is 0.5Kg man :haha:

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Seems like 725 on the core is the absolute max for my card at 1.4v. No artifacts whatsoever, the whole system just locked up and I had to restart my PC if I go further :think: I don't dare to crank up the core voltage any further than 1.4v :haha:

The memory only managed 700MHz with MVDDC ~2.1v/MVDDQ ~2.01v. Funny thing is that the chip itself is rated to run at 1.4ns, which is 700MHz! but I need voltage boost to make it running at stock lol :lol:

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe I should try XP90 or something... :D

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I seriously thought about trying my XP-90 on my 6600GT with cable ties :haha:
    But unfortunately now the card is fried :wall:

14. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

nice goin' Max :thumb:

we couldn't expect less from our videocard guru :clap: :clap:
    since your SI-97 mod, I won't look at video card cooling the same way. what seemed to me before as a good cooling solution (aftermarket coolers),looks now pathetic and I wouldn't even consider them anymore. why settle for a few degrees drop when you can get 20-30C less? :beer:

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Thanks :mrgreen: ROTFL! I'm not guru :p still not that pro yet :haha:

:thumb:

Those aftermarket coolers are definitely no match for these Thermalright heatsinks.

I luv Thermalright :haha:

16. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

well that's because cable ties aren't sufficiently secureing the card. I don't know what to say. no offence but that was a pretty dumb think to do and I'm not sure whether to laugh or be sorry for your loss :shock:

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

No I never did try it, the card fried from other causes...I'm not very sure myself.

Btw, the cable tie idea was derived from this:
    http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=1784&s=1
    Worked well for quite a few people...I don't know how well the method will work with an XP-90 though :lol:

18. sbohdan

sbohdan Newbie

oh, sorry I thought you fried it trying :silenced:
    what happened to your card then?
    I checked out the cable tie method and now it doesn't seem that dumb after all. could be usefull where it's hard or impossible to use screws :clap:

19. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well I did put it through about 1-2 minutes of usage with the heatsink making poor contact with the core (100ÂșC!) so I'm guessing that either that caused the damage, or an electro-static discharge when I was too lazy to use my grounding strap. :?

Oh well. Enough about me, let's get back to the topic :)

20. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL! It is not dumb if you know how to do it properly ;)

Anyway, I'm going to add some memory heatsinks to my card and see how it goes :p