Unable to connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by ESP, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ESP

ESP Newbie

I can’t surf any websites or do anything that requires Internet connection. Even though there is no problem connecting and log on to network, but when I try to surf a website, instead of loading the webpage it goes to http://auto.search.msn.com/response...ch=3&prov=&utf8 and then shows ‘The page cannot be displayed’; when I try to connect to IRC it will immediately says ‘Unable to resolve server’, it’s as if offline. It’s like I’m connected online and yet not connected at all. The system just won’t seem to connect to the Internet at all even though I’m connected. Usually when offline, trying to go to a website will bring up the ‘Connect To’ dialog from the Dial-Up Networking. But now it doesn’t and just straight away goes to MSN search and then says ‘The page cannot be displayed’.

I am using Windows Me. Before the problem started to occur, I was scanning my system with Ad-Aware and Spybot – Search and Destroy. After that, connected online. Then I went to Control Panel, System Properties, Device Manager and looked at Network adapters. Then a dialog popped up telling me that there is a new updated driver for my network adapter that can only be found online. I clicked No. Later it popped out again. Then I clicked Yes. I continued to surf the net with no problem at all while it was updating. After some time while it was still updating the driver, the system hung. I had to reboot my PC and after that, that was when the whole problem started.

My previous accidental deleting of some keys in the registry has caused the system to hang whenever I try to install new drivers for my devices and yet I made the mistake of doing the online driver update.

I have done the following:
    restore the changes made by Ad-aware and Spybot;
    reinstall Internet explorer and modem;
    changing the settings of my system, Internet Explorer and Network;
    reinstall the drivers.

I also scanned the computer with Anti-virus but no virus was found. I have done almost everything but nothing helped. I’ve called up Singnet Helpdesk to ask for assistance and after trying everything that we could, the technical officer told me that there may be a problem with the Dial-up Networking and the only thing to do now is to reinstall it, and to do that, I have to reinstall the Windows using the Windows CD.
    But my CD-drive is not working. I am currently using an external CD-drive which uses the USB. There is no option in the BIOS that allows me to boot with an USB device.

Now I would like to know:
    1. Can I manually edit the registry to restore my system back to normal? If so, how? Where can I get the registry to add in?
    2. Is there any command that I can do in DOS to boot with an external drive?
    3. Is there any services that I can get that will help me solve my Internet problem or repair/install new CD-drive for me?

Is there anything else you guys can help? This is urgent.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

1. Can I manually edit the registry to restore my system back to normal? If so, how? Where can I get the registry to add in?

i doubt that will be easy ... skipping this question ..

2. Is there any command that I can do in DOS to boot with an external drive?

booting to external drive? .. it depends if your BIOS can detect USB drives :p
    not sure if you need dos drivers for it :p

3. Is there any services that I can get that will help me solve my Internet problem or repair/install new CD-drive for me?

xp is the best upgrade :p
    to tell you the truth .. win 9x are headaches when it comes to networking

3. b104

b104 Newbie

I dont know if this can help you for this situation,seeing as u said u had been deleting things in the registry, but it will definitely help in the future.A computer programmer recommended a small freeware program called CCleaner(crap),it,s the best program I've ever used.It does the usual remove old programs & files etc ,but it has another program with a simple button that says find issues(problems).pRESS IT & IT MAGICALLY TELLS U ALL THE PROBS WITH YOUR MACHINE.pRESS FIX ISSUES BUTTON & IT WILL REPAIR EACH PROBLEM IN SECONDS.There is a back up option that is easy to restore as well.It may even tell what issue u are having now. Size is 1 or 2 mb's.Good luck!
    Let us know if it helped.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  4. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

You must have dug real deep for this one, since the topic is over one year old. I am pretty sure she is no longer in distress, but I suppose you are better late then never. :clap:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

ROFL!!! If you didn't mention that this thread is more than one year old I might not even notice :haha: :haha:

and I thought ESP is back :lol:

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I wonder why some people like to dig old ancient threads. :think:

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

old is gold ;)

8. b104

b104 Newbie

It was from a link so I never noticed the date,but thanks for taking the time to quote me & give guidance.Keep up the good work!:hug: