Upgrade in need

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by yorker, Nov 12, 2006.

1. yorker

yorker Newbie

hi all...:wave: let me shock u with my specs....
    MSI GeForce4 MMX440 4x
    20GB Maxtor
    400Watt PSU

old school pc...cant play deleted scene also...

help needed.....

should i upgrade?

and

wat can i do to max out my pc..

i wanna run vista and some games...softcore games..

:!: ps..thanks all...i might reply abit late...bear with me....:beer:

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

wad's ur budget?

best cpu u can upgrade to shld be 3200+Barton
    best AGP card u can upgrade to is a X1950pro

but i would advice u sell it n buy new parts..

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yup. if you have the budget, get a whole new system. no point upgrading. New parts may be cheaper too.

But, other than your Hard disk space, you actually have a better system than I have! LMAO

4. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

From the looks of it all u need to do is get a bigger HD and maybe a graphics card and your system would prolly be decent enough, at least for me

5. yorker

yorker Newbie

they dont have 3200+barton anymore right?
    how much for both (quote individually,pls..)??

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  6. yorker

yorker Newbie

peaz: plan on getting a new 1 next time... high time u get a
    better one,too :p

hyper raider : yeap yeap...agreed...

im just thinking of HD and Wifi card and graphics card....
    so if just the graphics card...i can run vista??

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The Athlon XP 2000+ series are considered to be very old for gaming. The rig is fine for a mini home server or a firewall machine, but not the latest games. It's much easier to do a full upgrade, and to the Core. And make sure you save enough of money to do so. New stuff comes too quickly so plan your PC and don't buy in a rush. :D

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Upgrading video card is one thing vista will eat your memory for breakfast will need at least a gig man. Let me tell you one thing vista == EYE CANDY!

9. yorker

yorker Newbie

i think i'll just wait for it to stabilize( the cpu)... then think of getting a new pc...

better i upgrade the graphics card atleast :D

thanks fellas....

10. yorker

yorker Newbie

sunthing not related...but please reply:

my laptop, the spacebar not working properly...sumtime work..sumtime not..sumtime..stuck..how?i checked..its clean....please suggest! thanks

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Probably a mechanical problem with the keyboard. Or maybe dust got stuck between the contact points for the spacebar key.

12. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Doesnt shock me at all, you havent seen mine yet, even more shocking....

-AMD K62 500Mhz
    -192MB PC100 sdram
    -10GB HDD
    -Riva TNT2 32MB (PCI version!!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  13. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

My sympathy 4 u.

14. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I think u should get a new mobo & a new CPU .Don't invest in a socket A now coz although u may find these stuffz ,u'll face problems in case of any replacement issue coz they won't be available that long.

I can suggest u a system that'll not burn a hole in ur pocket.

1. Motherboard :- MSI K8NGM2 with Integrated Geforce 6150 graphics which is far better than ur current graphics card(I'm also using an Asus Geforce4 MX-440).

2. CPU :- Athlon 64 3200+ 939 Pin.

I'm suggesting u to go for this board coz then u won't have to buy a new ram as this board supports DDR 400.If u think u'll get a new ram as well,then go for the K9NGM2 model which supports DDR2 & get an Athlon 64 3200+ AM2 CPU.

Believe me, u can't get better than this if ur budget is limited. Also try to get urself atleast a 80GB Sata HDD.

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I had a K6-2 450MHz computer and another one of these old 486 DX-33. A K6-2 is still an amazing processor for such an old platform. The Pentium II works better, though, but it's more expensive at that time. Still I hope to have one of these K6-2 or a classic Athlon for my spare rig. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  16. yorker

yorker Newbie

GASJATT: i fell of my chair....ur rig is outta this world man...:p

CALL OF DUTY: good advice..will check how first...but most probably i'll wait for the AM2.

YONG GRAND: i still have 3 P100, and 2 P66.. u want parts?? processors still good...Only 1 has a full setup..Windows 3.11 and all..a compaq...

ADRIAN: i cleaned the whole thing..dismantle the space bar also...sometime can..sumtimes...cannot...and i dint even use it much...anymore advice?

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Does the contact plate look tarnished? If so, maybe you can try using Mr. Brasso to polish it.

18. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

I I won't be using this artifact for long...planning to get a brand new C2D system after CNY.

19. yorker

yorker Newbie

Adrian: everything looks brand new... im also confuse...maybe i better send to ftec..better hope they are good...cant find their place in the map though...

20. Adrian Wong

Oh, this is referring to the FTEC laptop? Is there still warranty? If so, you better send it in FAST! :mrgreen: