Where to post this........??

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by neoro, Dec 2, 2002.

1. neoro

neoro Newbie

I have a question about RAM
    but there is no Memory slot for it in the Forum.....
    Maybe you should have a General Hardware Section

Well i think i am going to get the
    Gigabyte 8INXP (Granite Bay) Motherboard
    hmmm.......
    Yeah Dual Channel...
    Where can I get high performance RAM in Malaysia..
    Do i have to order it online..
    The shipping is Soo expensive...

I am looking for
    Crucial or Corsiar XMS or Mushkin
    512MB DDR 266 CL2....

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I believe you can find Mushkin DDR RAM in Low Yta PLaza. But dun expect it to be very overclockable.

It's known not to be as good as Crucial XMS and it also very much depends on the batch that you get. So no gurantees at all.

3. neoro

neoro Newbie

yeah i know they are not as OC-able as Xms..
    But are there anyone selling XMS memory modules in Malaysia??

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, Compuzone's price list would state it.. but there's almost never stock. The only option you have is online order from the states or somewhere nearer like Singapore

5. neoro

neoro Newbie

somewhere near singapore.......
    does singapore have any online site??

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

7. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Like I have mentioned somewhere in this forum, go down to Singapore for a short vacation and while you are there, drop by some computer dealer store and get your stuff.

But remember to do your homework first before heading down South. ;)

8. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

double post

9. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

10. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

"Future Proof"?

Well my friend, there is something you need to know. The only constant in the world of Computers is Change. Buy it today, obsolete tomorrow!

That is why I would always think of what I need the computer for today instead of tomorrow. That way we don't go buy stuff that we may think that we need and then come to a realization in the near future that it is not good enough anymore and we need to upgrade.

Believe me, it is always happening to me. :oops:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it's important to be practical and remember that it's IMPOSSIBLE to be future-proof. Buy what you need for the next 6 months to a year, if you are a gamer. If you are only doing office work, well, you wouldn't really need to worry much then, would you? Hehe...

Look at it from this point of view. You can buy the latest, greatest, leading edge technology to guard against obsolescence in the future. Take for example, Big GPU Company releases their latest Graphics Card A with Super GPU 1, which will ensure your dominance in conversations.

You spend 1000 dollars for that privilege to own the fastest graphics card in the world (at that time). But six months down the line, the same company releases Graphics Card B with Super GPU 2 for the same price; and Value Graphics Card A with the same Super GPU 1 core (but smaller and cooler). The new Graphics Card B now goes for 1000 dollars while the Value Graphics Card A will be sold for only 300 dollars...

So, at the end of the day, the super-duper Graphics Card A which you paid for with your blood is NO longer the fastest graphics card. Not only that, you can get the same card which is actually more refined and runs cooler/faster for far less than what you paid for.

The hardware industry is progressing so fast that there's no way to protect against the future. Personally, I feel it's better and a LOT cheaper to practice "value upgrades" instead of trying to buy the latest and greatest.

By value upgrades, I mean getting the latest value-edition hardware. It may not be the fastest but you get more than sufficient performance for hardcore gaming and support for the latest gaming technology. And you save a ton of money. Later, you can use the money you save the buy the next value-edition hardware when it comes out.

In the end, you will end up with better hardware than the bloke who bought top-of-the line hardware. You'll have money to upgrade and you won't mind junking the older hardware (because you didn't spend so much money on it anyway). The other bloke, however, will not have the money to upgrade and besides, how can he throw away that 1000 dollar graphics card? Hehe... Just my opinion...

12. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

well i am not talking about future proof for a few years time frame ofcourse. I am just talking about abit future proof for next generation. Since ddr400 is cost not much different then ddr333 , why not get the ddr400 ?Although ddr500 is at the corner :p With ddr 400 at least he able to use prescott with 800 fsb = 2 x ddr400 without overclocking. Just opinion.

I dont upgrade my hardware too often for just 20% - 30% improvement.
    I own a 2.4Ghz ...at least i gonna wait until 4GHz or more to upgrade my system. I know thats not going to be a long wait but at least 1.5-2 years for the price of 4ghz cpu to drop to affortable price. Ofcourse, i always have to see if i really need it. I dont like the earth we staying cover by electronics grabage :p

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello ALstonLoong! :)

Don't misunderstand me. I was not referring to you. I was just voicing my opinions. Heh.. I have a tendency towards value-level hardware since I can't afford more.

As for the DDR400 and above, I don't think they are standardized yet. If their specs have not been ratified by JEDEC, then the manufacturers selling DDR400 or DDR500 (coming up!) DDR SDRAM are merely selling overclocked versions of DDR333 DIMMs.

Until the final standardized specs for DDR400 is out, the manufacturers are free to implement their own "standards". That means different timings, loadings and design. Anything as long as they can get the DIMM to run at 400MHz.

But if you wait for certified DDR400 SDRAM, you can be sure that you have a DIMM that's guaranteed to work with most (if not all) DDR400 motherboards. That's because the timings and other factors have all been standardized. Also, you will see better performance with certified DDR400 SDRAM than the ersatz DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs floating around.

The reason why some manufacturers can sell DDR400 almost as cheap as DDR333 is because they are actually DDR333 SDRAM overclocked to 400MHz. Check the specs and you will see looser timings.

That's the danger with getting top-of-the-line equipment. They tend to be buggy, less efficient and slower. Frankly, it's a little like being a guinea pig when you buy some of those fresh-from-the-oven hardware. Too many companies are rushing products out the door just to beat their competitors in the PR game.

A couple months down the road when the dust clears, they will come up with a refined version... the version that they should have released. It will be more stable, more efficient, faster and a lot cheaper.

Actually, when you think about it, it's more expensive and less environmentally friendly to get Rev. 1 hardware. Better to wait for Rev. 1a and above. Cheaper and they are more efficient and faster - you are less likely to junk them.

Like you, ALstonLoong, I do not like to pollute the earth with electronic garbage. That's why I have a pile of old hardware back at home. My mother thinks I'm a junk collector! :)

14. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

NO worry adrian , no hard feeling from me :p You got your point too :)
    I think both of us are electric junk collector :p

15. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

I think it would be good if you two get together with all your junk and start building some computers for the needy!

Me thinks that you two would probably make 3-5 computer with all your junk lying around. :lol:

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I could build 1 PC out of the junks I have lying around, but it's too slow for DF. :(

17. ALstonLoong

ALstonLoong Newbie

hahahha...... my house still have 386dx with windows 3.11 :p also have 2 p133 system. Is too slow for games ...and icq haha...eating too much memory. Still able to surf the net though :p

Well ...i just read an article.. Jedec is starting to support ddr400! I think maybe because of intel :p Hopefully we have quality ddr400 from samsung soon.