Why do some Christians dislike the wearing of a Cross?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by marc, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Is it true that mostly Catholic Christians are the ones that wear Crosses only? While the other Christian denominations (like Mormon, Protestants, Methodists,. etc) don't condone it?

It seems that some of my non-Catholic friends say that the Cross is the murder weapon of Jesus Christ, and it would be disrespectful to wear it or something?

Some Christians argue that the cross symbolizes the resurrection of Jesus, while some say that the crucifix (the cross with a statue of Jesus on it) is better as it shows that His sufferings are honoured or something like that.

The cross is a very Holy symbol for the Catholics. Catholic priests, the Pope, etc all wear them.

For a lot of Christian denominations, many of their churches do have the cross symbol on top of their church even though that they would say it is not advisable to wear it. If this is done, I don't see how it is any different from one who is wearing it. Anyone would like to comment on this?

I think that the cross symbol is an established symbol of Christianity by many, we see the symbols being used hand-in-hand with Christianity so many times already. However, this could be due to the history of Catholic Christians in the world which have recognized and influenced the issue since a long time ago.

What is your view on the matter? Let's discuss here. Everyone is free to comment.

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

This kind of discussion can get quite ugly among some.. LOL :D Seen it before. I think it's because different denominations have different intepretations. But since I'm no theologist, I really just can't say myself too.

Hey, I didn't know you were a Catholic too :) Which church? :)

3. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

the bible didn't say that one must wear a cross to be a christian right.....?

4. peaz

No. nobody say so, but that's not really point of the discussion. it's more on the point that some thinks that wearing the cross is a NO-NO... which again, referring to the bible, there's no reference for that too. I think that's why Marc is posting this, why some say it's not advisable(or cannot) to those who do.

5. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

I've never been into such discussions before. I've also never though of the issue until I searched it up on some sites online. :doh:

Will answer you this later kua. :D

Yeap. Peaz is right. :thumb:
    It's not about whether the person wearing it him/herself is feeling okay with it or not, but what others would think about it.
    For example, if you are wearing it and you go to a family dinner event where everyone is in a denomination that does not condone the wearing of crosses, it is surely to be a sensitive thing.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, you can wear it but cover it with your clothes? :think: Nobody will know... :D

It's not necessary to wear it and show it to everyone right?

7. peaz

Dashky's right too.

on the off topic side: I think a lot people is not posting in this due to it's sensitivity.... perhaps we might take such discussions offline instead?

8. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

For ladies, when they wear dresses or anything besides a t-shirt, the cross is most likely visible. :D

Yeah. I'm starting to feel that too. :cry:

9. peaz

I that case, I would close this thread now then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.