Why won't this bios let me set up agp AND pci vid cards???

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by davelap, Nov 7, 2007.

1. davelap

davelap Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is my messege from a previous thread...I am a newbie, and I just can't figure out why this compaq bios WON'T let me enable two video adapters at the same time...no matter what I do it it just won't let me enable both...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Going back to this bios thing....I know what your saying about the bios....but with this Compaq 686P9 v1.11 bios when I have an agp card and a pci card in there is a line under the 'advanced' section for 'pci vga config.' which is the primary/non-boot area..BUT, there is also a line under 'pci devices' which lists the two cards with enable/disable after them, along with assigning the irq's....and here you CANNOT enable both...if you go to enable the one that is disabled, it automaticlly disables the other one. Is there any way around this? Also I put in just one pci card, and ran the on-board, and this time is said 'not enough resources' to start the pci card...but there is nothing else in the slots..i took everything else out...am I getting closer? is there something I can do? again.. thanks for your time on this matter.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Vendors like Compaq usually limit the number of BIOS options you can access. Can you take a photo of the BIOS menus so we can see what you are talking about?

As for your problem, you installed both an AGP and PCI graphics card and both won't run? What exactly are you seeing now? Only one card will run at a time?

3. davelap

davelap Newbie

Thanks for your help on this....I pulled the card from my own machine and tried it.....pci nvidia 64 mb....and was able to get it working....come to find out the pci card i was trying to use was only a 1 mb.....:shock: so I guess it can be configured, just need a better 'extra' card to put in it. Still though it wasn't booting correctly...even with the on board set as primary the pci card (which is twice as big...64 mb vs. the 32 mb on board) would be the card to show the booting up...then would have to switch the monitor to the on board to be able to see the windows start up and normal display after that.....wierd...but at least I know it can be on. Thanks again for all the help....Forums like this are an incredible tool for folks like me.

Dave:beer:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No problem, Dave. :beer: