Will a hard drive immersed in non-conductive fluid or oil work properly?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adrian Wong, May 26, 2008.

?

Can a hard drive immersed in non-conductive liquid work properly?

1. Yes, I think it's possible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No way! No way in hell it will run.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't really care or wish to guess.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

looking forward to it:mrgreen:

2. Goofy_Brained

Goofy_Brained Newbie

Did this Thread complete? or Move ?

Very interested in the rotating HDD in oil experiment.

Did this complete or move to some other thread ?

Thanks

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It did work actually. :mrgreen:

4. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...was it verified that the fluid actually fully saturated the internals of the drive, or was it (as seems quite possible) still all-air inside, but therefore superficially "in oil?"

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

No obviously not. HDD will never work submerged. You don't have to be a scientist to know that. HDD works mechanically. I don't think it's possible to do that UNLESS the device is designed to work submerged.

But the question is, is it possible to seal the gaps and submerge it to keep it cooled, and the answer is yes.

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Don't forget snorkeling breather hole ...

7. Goofy_Brained

Goofy_Brained Newbie

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the data.

NOTE: there are sealed HDD's available commercially and for large range of altitudes.. (not specified for oil submersion though... )

I have a requirement to effectively hermetically seal small computer systems (incl HDD) for operational environment reasons - so no snorkels.

Tried SSD's but too expensive and cranky ( but hope abounds ) Right now using 2.5" rotating HDDs.

BUT... based on your experiences & data... - my first plan is to simply test a 2.5" HDD (one that has concentric rings on cover that flex) and to simply seal the breather hole with appropriate epoxy techniques.. BUT at HDD pressureized at about 1.3atm (for my requirements)

Given the oil bath (and my limiting altitudes allowed - for normal weather ranges) then the HDD 'breathing' will be greatly limited and if not just pressurizing the case (still having enough 'air' for flying heads).. with some 'volumn' relief transitioned to case flex. This technique is ESPECIALLY indicated, given the control of both thermal transients (VERY IMPORTANT IN HDD SPECS!) as well as an overall oil-thermal design. Care will also be taken to reinforce the drive electronic penetrations and the frame/case seals (again using epoxy - long experience here and at vacuum/pressure chamber pressures)

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You may improve it by covering the breather hole with a small plastic cover (if it does not impede proper mounting) and sealing that to the drive. That would provide a small reservoir of air for breathing hole.