Windows 8 Release Preview

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Jun 1, 2012.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Exactly! So how do you expect Surface to be mass manufactured like Apple? But I love tha variety of choices, from specs, quality, customer support, modding capabilities. I have not worried about being fragmented, because I can always choose what ever version I want. :thumb:

In terms of desirability? More like in terms of peer pressure. LOL! S3 is probably the least innovative phone in Samsung's line up, but it is still going to be one of the best selling Samsung phones. Most of them can't even give you a good tech answer why they want them.

Getting really off topic lol.

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

they probably just want to build a golden sample just so that they can showcase what Win 8 is all about.

you can't really depend on lenovo, asus, dell, cer or hp to do that.

win8 is too big of a change to rely on the partners to get the right msg across.

4. peaz

I suppose that is what Surface is all about.

Saw the keynote. Cannot tahan it. Especially the last keynote speaker...

5. Chai

Yup, I believe that is the case too.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Oh, I never doubted that. I didn't think that Microsoft would actually try to sell Surface like Apple is doing with iPad.

In fact, I think I read somewhere that Microsoft already said that they only did this because they were worried about the lack of innovation on the part of their partners. Also, they will get out of the business when they see their partners buck up.

One of the articles is this - How Apple Forced Microsoft To Build A Tablet - Business Insider

7. Chai

Well, take a look at this instead. :mrgreen:

Was Dell, HP Surprised or Angered by Microsoft's New Tablet? - Forbes

Personally, Microsoft is still completely reliant on OEMs to make money for them which is not going to change anytime soon, it is way too sudden to mass manufacture on their own, let alone build like how Apple does.

The article that you have posted are merely their opinions, and based on their other articles, they have a tiny bit of biasness. You don't need me to tell who is their favourite choice. :mrgreen:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

lol that article is so wrong. this is what you get when you have toy reviewers writing businesses articles. everything seems so "straightforward". "the logic just works. OMG!"

no seriously, Apple sources its CPU and chipset from Intel too. their cost might be even higher since their mac volume isn't as high as HP / Dell. And you really think they have only two persons developing the OS X? they too have to spend billions in product research, development and manufacturing.

To claim that MS and Intel sucking their OEMs dry is incorrect. These guys pump hundred of millions of $ into the channel. Thats why the OEMs stick with them for decades, and they will not leave them. thats why you have their logos in packaging. no logo, no money!

OEMs know Linux is free, but who is going to pay for our marketing? :D i'm not going to spend 50mil in 200 countries to promote a new line of product that requires my customers to re-adapt. Ok we know HP and IBM can afford to do that, but do you think the local brands have the ability to adv full page on papers and TV? Daddy pays for it man! oh yeah, and don't forget channel rebate :D :D :D

the margin is razor thin because PC has become a commodity. You can't change this fact and the only way to get out of this is to innovate, and that unfortunately isn't a specialty of asian companies. we just can't design shit. even a task as simple as designing a sleek thumb drive and case can get so wrong (for some reasons it must be equipped with LEDs!! blue, red, green LEDS!). toshiba, sony and fujitsu used to make great stuff, but unfortunately they too have to move out of japan.

it has nothing to do with MS and Intel sucking its partners dry. it's the other way round. without their $$$, these OEMs stand no chance to survive.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  9. peaz

Yup. Phok's absolutely right there. Not many people outside the industry knows what really happens between principal vendors like M$, Intel, AMD, etc... and their channel partners. :) OEMs can gripe all they want but they will not forget who really help 'fund' their business.