Windows Vista worth it?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Apr 27, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

You can choose the home premium - it has some features for... home usage.

Needless to say, you need a truckload of RAM - 2GB is wonderful. 4GB is even more wonderful. I'll wait until my Galaxy 7300GT decided to go Vista with me, and a heap load of RAM before I put Vista in.

(only thing is I can't stop looking at the Aeroglass - it's cool and nice, but I don't really need 'em.)

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

in all honesty, aeroglass requirements isn't really that high. even the lousy Intel GMA chip with 2GB RAM on the dell 640M notebook also can run it quite nicely already.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Right-click My computer > Manage, then find services... don't have Vista at the moment, but I disabled before. It's somewhere in the computer management la. :mrgreen:

4. peaz

The indexing thing in Vista is actually the Microsoft desktop search right? Isn't that quite essential component in Vista? Cos most of the things in Vista is search-based. so creating an index is quite important.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the RAM usage is probably the best excuse for you to upgrade to Vista. the OS is not swallowing up ur entire pie of memory with background services. this is superfetch. IMHO, this is the feature i like the most because now I can throw in as much RAM as possible without having to worry that they might not get utilised.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  6. The_YongGrand

Yeah, will put some more RAM when the Vista becomes mainstream. :D

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ive tested the readyboost thingy

device used is a unknown model apacer 1gb thumbdrive(free from my sis credit card application LOL)

can say there are no improvement at all in my system with dual core proc n 2gb of ram..i dun feel program launch faster but i can see a little faster on game loading times..tats all i can feel and see

even my sis system with 1gb ram doesnt feel any improvement in speed on anything apart ram usage is lower..n dats all

like u all previously say readyboost works much better with system with 1gb below ram..

8. peaz

ok. a quick report on Vista 64 with 4GB RAM.... the system is really responsive. :D Loving it! Almost all the RAM is utilised as cache with an average of < 10MB of unsed free RAM. With Vista, this is usually a good thing :D

Only one complain. Nvidia Vista drivers sucks big time.

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Peaz: Welcome to the 4GB club :mrgreen: :thumb:

for those who are still hesitate to upgrade your ram, be warned that RAM price will be up very soon! :wicked:

1Gb is still going for SGD63 now. get it before it's too late.

10. peaz

Haha. thanks. the only thing I'm regretting is not getting all 4 sticks of the GSkill PC800 RAMs when it's so cheap. LOL. now running on 680MHz with 2 Gskills and 2 KVRs. the two KVRs cannot clock any higher already. :p

But it's still all good la. RAM speed dun make much difference anyway.

11. Brian

Brian Newbie

ram prices wont be that low rm105 min, but it'll still hold around the rm120-140/gb level imo, at least that's what the short term trend in dramexchange.com shows

i'm still holding out for that 2*2gb though :D, but i've already gotten 2*1gb sticks as insurance

12. peaz

Yeah. if 2GB sticks gets cheap, I'd be getting myself two ... :D
    6GB RAM baby!

13. peaz

BTW, anyone here knows how to disable the stupid Low Disk Space warning in Vista? The XP registry do not work.

14. The_YongGrand

Hey, just received a copy of Vista from my friend as a gift. He got it from his college's Microsoft Promotion campgain.

Well, curiously, I installed it, and activated it, and WGA check it. That thing is original. So how can I triple check it? Since it's from the Microsoft guys, is this thing for really real? :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  15. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

why not ? Microsoft sometimes gives free copies to students. Besides, In US, most universities have enterprise versions of Microsoft Office free for students to download while Windows are like $8 USD per disc.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

MSDNAA... :D

Its kinda nice... :p

17. peaz

after using Vista for a while. I'd have to say that it's worth the upgrade :) very stable platform as long as the drivers are available

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Slow platform too. :haha:

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I had a completely difference experience here.
    stability is one thing, usability is another! vista has some very cool features, and my 64 vista machine never had BSOD, so all my drivers are good (except POS catalyst, which takes forever to load). but then again, if every little small task takes second to finish, the experience = rubbish. the constant HD trashing is scary and i think MS's engineers have burgers everyday, because this os is bloated. I still can't accept the fact that it doesn't allow me to access my folder after the explorer.exe crashed. wtf!? it's my FOLDER! just give me back my files!

cmon, at least give us a decent Classic interface, sigh..

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My experience wasn't that good also. Other than faster standard RAW photo viewer, I don't see any advantage of Vista. I'm still very happy with XP, it's not like it's a bad OS or unstable, right? :p