Wireless connection constantly drops - Toshiba Satellite M45-S359 notebook

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by ht24, Dec 24, 2007.

1. ht24

ht24 Newbie

Hi,
    I have a Toshiba M45-S359 notebook laptop. About every 20-30 seconds, the wireless connection drops off (and immediately automatically reconnects). This is not a router issue because I tried 2 different routers (Linksys and Netgear) and also the wireless connection is perfectly stable on the other laptop I have.
    There are no interference issues either because it happens even when I have the laptop sitting very close to the router.
    Any suggestions/advice? Thanks in advance.
    HT

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Check the WiFi setting on your notebook. Try setting it to 11 mbps or 54 mbps (if it supports 802.11g) instead of Auto.

3. ht24

ht24 Newbie

How do I change the WiFi setting on my notebook?
    Thanks for your help!
    HT

4. Adrian Wong

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

In there, look for your WiFi module (for example, Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100). Right click and select Properties.

Go to Advanced. There should be an option for you to change the data rate or transmission mode.

5. ht24

ht24 Newbie

Under Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, I found the Wireless Mode module. It is already set to use the default value (802.11b and 802.11g), using both 11 Mbps and 54 Mbps data rate. I did not see the "auto" option.

Additional info:
    Ad Hoc Channel is set to 802.11 b/g, Channel 10
    Intel throughput enhancer is enabled
    Preferred band is using 802.11g as default

Thx.
    HT

6. Adrian Wong

Well, force it to use only one... Either 802.11b or 802.11g. Try 802.11g first.

7. ht24

ht24 Newbie

For some reason, that doesn't work either..
    Thx,
    HT

8. Adrian Wong

Try disabling the Intel Throughput Enhancer.

9. ht24

ht24 Newbie

Tried it.. Problem still persists..
    - HT

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Tried updating the drivers?

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, try updating the WiFi driver. Check and see if your router has a newer firmware too.

12. ht24

ht24 Newbie

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. The list isn't mind-boggling actually. In fact, it's very easy to understand. It's arranged by date, from the most recent at the top to the oldest files at the bottom.

The latest Intel WiFi driver is Intel 802.11a/b/g/n, a/b/g, b/g PCIe Mini Card driver for Windows XP (v11.5.0.32 Logo; 11-29-2007; 5.92M)

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

try disabling power saving. / allow computer to turn off this device (something like that)

15. ht24

ht24 Newbie

Thanks for the driver. I ran it and restarted my laptop but I am not sure it's installed. Under the Network adapter properties (under device manager), under Driver, it says Driver version 9.0.4.37, dated 7/25/2007.
    I could not manually update the driver because it is looking for a *.inf file which cannot be located inside the zipped driver file. The way the zipped driver file works is that when I double-click to open it, it directly runs the setup - i.e., it does not show me the contents of the zipped file...

HT

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need to extract the zip file first.

17. Adrian Wong

Well, if it ran the setup, then it should be just fine.

18. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, good idea! There should be an option in Device Manager to turn off the WiFi when it's inactive to save power. DISABLE that.